Useless runes

A forum to ask questions if you are stuck in the The Gate Rune Wars; or wish for more clarity on the gameplay systems.
Soul Eater

Useless runes

Post by Soul Eater »

you know what rune nobody ever talks about?

Turtle rune

you know why? its pointless.

I mean there are about 3 or 4 abnormalities in the whole game, you very rarely get any of them, and the only one worth worrying about is poison. In fact now that I think about it, these are the only examples I can think of where I've ever got abnormalities:

Poison from mosquitos
Bucket from flying squirrels (and who cares about bucket)
Balloon from holly Fairies (and its never enough to worry about)
Poison from neclord

so I think the only time I've ever used antitoxins is at the very start in the gregminster area.
Asquian

Post by Asquian »

I think the big problem is that, sure you get status immunity, but then you're wasting your rune slot. Maybe if they had made a sub rune slot, for status type runes like turtle, sunbeam, hazy, etc. that would have helped things.
Sonya -cat

Great RPGs never die, they just get more expensive -Me
Lechium

Post by Lechium »

what does bucket do anyhow?
KFCrispy
Global Admin

Post by KFCrispy »

lower accuracy/tech?
Lechium

Post by Lechium »

damn.
bucket is scary.
turtle runes to everyone!
Kage

Post by Kage »

I wholeheartedly agree with you, Soul Eater. I remember my first playthrough, I equipped the Turtle Rune thinking that I'd encounter a slew of enemies that would change my status. After about three hours I realized that nope, it wasn't happening. I remember feeling so stupid for doing that.
Phoenix

Post by Phoenix »

I'm fairly sure Turtle runes prevent Unbalance. I recall equipping both Tai Ho and Yam Koo with Turtle Runes when I went to fight the pirates. It was nice being able to do their unite (which is fairly powerful) every round.
KFCrispy
Global Admin

Post by KFCrispy »

wow, if someone can confirm, we can actually build a strategy around Turtle Runes and powerful unites that cause Unbalance..
Tai Ho + Yam Koo may be very good, but there may be better ones due to high STR and whatnot.. or attack alls
Soul Eater

Post by Soul Eater »

unites with unbalance:

Gremio + Pahn
Tai Ho + Yam Koo
Kirkis + any other elf (attacks all)
Lepant + Eileen + Sheena
Liukan + Fukien + Kai (attacks all)
Camille + Tengarr + Kasumi
Pahn + Eikei + Morgan
Cleo + Eileen + Valeria/Sonya (attacks all)
Blacksmiths

I'd really like to know if turtle rune stops unbalance, becuase it would be a key way to make maximum damage.
Seed

Post by Seed »

I agree with the Turtle Rune, but what about the Phero Rune? Or is that really in Suikoden 1? I've never been able to get it. :(
Kage

Post by Kage »

I tested the Turtle Rune to see if it stops unbalence. I used Tai Ho and Yam Koo's Fisherman Attack, and yes, the Turtle Rune stopped the unbalance. Seems it might actually have a use after all.
Soul Eater

Post by Soul Eater »

Seed wrote:I agree with the Turtle Rune, but what about the Phero Rune? Or is that really in Suikoden 1? I've never been able to get it. :(
I used to find this rune really hard to get, and on my first 5 or so playthroughs I couldn't get it at all

Then I found out that you get it from the 'beast commander' enemy, that looks like a girl, with flying squirrels, around the area where you get mathiu, lepant, tai ho etc. I fought there for a couple of hours near the end of the game and found 3 phero runes. I've never used it though.

The rune that I find hardest to get is the resurrection rune. You get this from the whip wolf in the neclord area, but it shows up pretty rarely, and it drops the item very rarely, with these two factors coupled together I found it the hardest rune to get in the game.
Kage wrote:I tested the Turtle Rune to see if it stops unbalence. I used Tai Ho and Yam Koo's Fisherman Attack, and yes, the Turtle Rune stopped the unbalance. Seems it might actually have a use after all.
Thanks for testing that, its really useful.

Seeing as most of the unites I mentioned have at least one person with a fixed rune, they can't equip the turtle rune, cant avoid the unbalance and therefore it cant be repeated each turn... but the following unites can:

Tai Ho + Yam Koo
Kirkis + Rubi/Sylvina
Cleo + Eileen + Sonya
Blacksmiths

also this means that it doesn't matter what row they go in as the unites ignore range and row.
KFCrispy
Global Admin

Post by KFCrispy »

looks like Tai Ho/Yam Koo will average the most damage after all with Turtles.

the elves attack seems to be the only other semi-useful one, especially when you're roaming around, but then they can't use any magic.

for the other two, you only get to use all 5 blacksmiths in a short moment before the final battle, and the Beauty Attack is fairly pathetic.. those ladies are better off with magic runes

for primarily hit-all unites like the Martial Arts attack, 2 characters can still use Turtles and you will only have Pahn unbalanced after the first round of random battles. that's pretty good..

i don't think Gremio + Pahn causes unbalance. i remember it does 1.5x damage and no penalties, and it was one of my most used unites.

only kasumi gets unbalanced in the Pretty Girl Attack
Kage

Post by Kage »

Yeah, but isn't her Shrike rune permeanent?
Seed

Post by Seed »

Thanks for that info Soul Eater, this should help me out when I play Suikoden again. As for the Shrike Rune, I'm pritty sure that its stays on Kasumi.