Which is the best rune to give Viktor?

A forum to ask questions if you are stuck in the The Gate Rune Wars; or wish for more clarity on the gameplay systems.
DracoFox

Post by DracoFox »

i always had him with killer rune, because like someone else pointed out, vik can be counter-attacked pretty well. i think we can all agree tho, by midgame clone rune sucks. its good on early boss fights so you can have him play healer in downtime, but a endgame viktor with killer rune is nice. clone rune is a good idea to keep him in back line for final battle tho, i never thought of that.
KFCrispy
Global Admin

Post by KFCrispy »

originally posted by Soul Eater
Despite all that, I used that rune in Viktor for a long time on my first save because I thought it would come in handy...

So about whats been said:

1) Clone is good if you want viktor to be in back row (in case you want more than 1 S ranger added at the end, like if you want pretty boy attack). I gave him clone rune a few times, and also dragon seal insence. This way he can heal when unbalanced, use up no items, and the enemies dont really get to attack much earlier as viktor is slow anyway.

2) Killer rune. I found this effective. Even without this viktor seemed to get more criticals than his luck would suggest.

3) Sunbeam rune. I almost always use this, simply so I dont have to worry about healing.
Soul Eater

Post by Soul Eater »

Also seeing as Viktor has low magic any rune that effects the whole party such as holy rune can be useful
Pyro

Post by Pyro »

soul eater said viktor has low magic,but everytime i play s1 vik has level 4 magic and the mother earth rune by the last battle.but in s2 he never makes it too level 4 magic
Eagles May Soar But Weasels Don't Get Sucked Into Jet Engines.
Soul_Muncher

Post by Soul_Muncher »

Meh...I give Viktor the Clone Rune every time I play the game as I'm sure most of the people did alongside me...It's the best rune to equip with Viktor at that point in the game...
Soul Eater

Post by Soul Eater »

Pyro wrote:soul eater said viktor has low magic,but everytime i play s1 vik has level 4 magic and the mother earth rune by the last battle.but in s2 he never makes it too level 4 magic
On an ordinary level at the end of the game (in the 60's) his magic doesn't get much past 100, and that means he can't usually use level 4 magic at all.

Here is part of the magic point chart from this site (which I have tested and found correct):

101 MGC - 6/4/2/0
111 MGC - 6/4/3/0
121 MGC - 7/4/3/0
124 MGC - 7/5/3/0
131 MGC - 7/5/4/1
141 MGC - 8/5/4/1
144 MGC - 8/5/4/2

If you level him up to 99 (which is rare), and you are fairly lucky with your magic level ups I suppose his magic could reach 140, but on all my saves, and all others I've seen it ends up between 120 and 130.

An average magician would have a MGC stat somewhere in the mid hundreds and be able to use level 4 spells 2-3 times. His magic isn't terrible, like pahn and Fu Su Lu's, but it is definitley below average and therefore is low.
Black Fang

Post by Black Fang »

Double-Beat on Viktor in S1 (which SHOULD carry through but funnily enough it never does on my file.....anyone? Lil help here?) as for S2 definatelly Double-Beat/Fury combo.
Jowy Atreides

Post by Jowy Atreides »

Every single detail does not pass into the sequel.
Last edited by Jowy Atreides on Mon Jul 16, 2007 4:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Black Fang

Post by Black Fang »

I know that, but I'm sure I read somewhere that Double-Beat passes through.....or was that just some bs rumor?
highwind44029

Post by highwind44029 »

Viktor does get to 100 MGC in S2, granted you get him to level 99. :wink:

I do agree *Killer is a much better and much more practical rune for Viktor to use. Viktor has horrible skill in S1 (as far as I can recall). If you place a Double-Beat to him, as mentioned earlier, there are bigger chances he'll miss and when you miss, you get counterattacked. Bad idea.
Vextor
Global Admin

Post by Vextor »

The Double Beat Rune can not be passed on from S1 into S2. The only ones I know that can pass through are the lower tier elemental runes, but this also depends on the character, too. For example, Viktor never passes runes into S2, and same with Flik (He always starts with a lightning rune).
Black Fang

Post by Black Fang »

The only ones I know that can pass through are the lower tier elemental runes, but this also depends on the character, too. For example, Viktor never passes runes into S2, and same with Flik (He always starts with a lightning rune).
That would make sense, but as for the first part, I'll find the site (I think it might have even been Suikosource) that states which runes pass on to II and its not just the elementals.
I do agree *Killer is a much better and much more practical rune for Viktor to use. Viktor has horrible skill in S1 (as far as I can recall). If you place a Double-Beat to him, as mentioned earlier, there are bigger chances he'll miss and when you miss, you get counterattacked. Bad idea.
Suppose this would be a bad idea except for my habbit of putting Skill Rings on evryone hence effectivelly causing him not to only double-hit in fury, but critical and attack multiple targets. This makes him a killing machine as you can see. Secondary stat boost for him is his speed and nothing else matters.
Viktor does get to 100 MGC in S2, granted you get him to level 99.
Mate, to get him to 100, you'd have to have a LOT of luck. I've done it just about every time I played (I finished the game around 20 times) and for the most part he ends up around the neighbourhood of 90-95 MGC.
Tanx to Star of Destiny for making my av!!! 8^p
niusxygrdman

Post by niusxygrdman »

I always end up giving him the clone rune. Theres not really any reason for this other than hes the first character thats able to use it. I guess ive just never taken the time to try him out with other runes. But I have seen Flick with the clone rune and must admit...though its not that powerful, it does look cool.
Black Fang

Post by Black Fang »

It isn't worth it as it unbalances him. So you really get nothing as you do double damage one turn and nothing on the next hence the same as two normal attacks.
Tanx to Star of Destiny for making my av!!! 8^p