2 quick questions about Flik and Victor

A forum to ask questions if you are stuck in the The Gate Rune Wars; or wish for more clarity on the gameplay systems.
KFCrispy
Global Admin

Post by KFCrispy »

unfortunately while party mechanics have improved from game to game, the menu system peaked in Suikoden 2/3 and hasn't been satisfactory ever since.

this game actually allows almost anyone to be a decent mage. i think i gave Viktor Water or Earth type runes and he could cast a couple level 3's. sometimes he was my only healing unit. but his best choice is probably the Double Beat.
DeathChaser

Post by DeathChaser »

EDIT by Red Killey: Flaming is against the rule. Do not flame. Content removed.
What ?Wo are you..
Yasagani Kuje

Post by Yasagani Kuje »

I agree the boundaries between caster and melee classes weren't clearly set. Different characters just acted like it and sported stats accordingly. But Flik was relatively useful in the end really, since he could cast lvl 4 lightning spells
hehe, and Viktor did insane melee damage with Star Dragon, I once got a 1300 crit on one of the 3 heads hehe, that's like a Judgement, and you can't go wrong with that :D Sure you have to bring them along for story-sake but I didn't mind that much.

Does the double-beat rune leave you unbalanced, and can Viktor wear it? I never really tried.
Iku

Post by Iku »

it doesn't leave you unbalanced, and viktor can equip it
'Believed the evidence of your own eyes, did ya? In a place like this?' Granny Weatherwax
KFCrispy
Global Admin

Post by KFCrispy »

Double-Beat's only penalty in both Suikoden 1 and 2 is that if you're counter-attacked, you take double damage.
Kreutz

Post by Kreutz »

CameoChic444 wrote:Having Flik and Vic in your' team is a pain - there just are better than Victor, although Flik is one of the best. They are s-range too, which limits things. Throughout the game one or other is always foisted on you (if not both), so it isn't just at the end.
Too bad Flik and Viktor didn't have a unite attack in Suikoden I. That could have made their constant inclusion a little easier to deal with and maybe more beneficial.
WaterMoon

Post by WaterMoon »

Red Killey wrote:
Throughout the game one or other is always foisted on you (if not both), so it isn't just at the end.
Yeah, that's what I dislike about it the most. It feels like they're being shoved down our throat, and it took away the freedom very much. Especially Viktor's role. Boy oh boy he was forced into the party a lot.
So was Gremio, but no one complains about him being forced into your party all those times he's forced there. Same goes with Lyon/Miakis in SV. And to a lesser extent Nanami in SII, not to mention pretty much being stuck with the same 3 parties, without ANY changes allowed, throughout most of SIII until you reach chapter 4. The only game where you rarely have anyone forced on you was SIV, and it's the least liked of all games. Maybe people really like having characters forced on them?
"C'mon, Jeane! The ugly stick had its way with you! Admiiiiiiiiiit it!"
---------------------------------------------------------------
"What do you think,Your Highness? Does kidnapping your little sister sound like fun?"
Belle

Post by Belle »

WaterMoon wrote:
Red Killey wrote:
Throughout the game one or other is always foisted on you (if not both), so it isn't just at the end.
Yeah, that's what I dislike about it the most. It feels like they're being shoved down our throat, and it took away the freedom very much. Especially Viktor's role. Boy oh boy he was forced into the party a lot.
So was Gremio, but no one complains about him being forced into your party all those times he's forced there. Same goes with Lyon/Miakis in SV. And to a lesser extent Nanami in SII, not to mention pretty much being stuck with the same 3 parties, without ANY changes allowed, throughout most of SIII until you reach chapter 4. The only game where you rarely have anyone forced on you was SIV, and it's the least liked of all games. Maybe people really like having characters forced on them?
No one complains? Wow, you must know a lot of happy people. Gremio? I can't count the number of times people have said how they couldn't stand the "stupid fag" (their words, not mine) forcing his way into their party, and that his only redeeming factor was meeting his end at Milich's hands. Same with Nanami, except they forget she isn't in your party as frequently (uniting Two River, plus options to leave her behind in Kyaro, and to have her as a guest member in Rockaxe).
mpieco

Post by mpieco »

Well, I disliked Nanami a lot more than Gremio. At least Gremio realized that Tir didn't need him anymore, and sacrificed himself. Nanami was just incredibly annoying and just couldn't understand that Riou was awesome and didn't need her around. Even her reason for faking death was annoying. "wah wah wah, i didn't want to see riou and jowy fight anymore wah wah wah". God I hate her.
Scotts

Re:

Post by Scotts »

WaterMoon wrote:
Red Killey wrote:
Suikoden 1- Viktor is one of the better characters, seing as how useless many of the others actually are. Flik is an awesome combination of Magic and Attack.

Suikoden 2- Nanami is just awesome, like really really awesome. Double Beat + Fury and a Rage in the weapon or Double Beat + Fire Sealing and a Fire Lizard in weapon are a good combo.

Suikoden 3- Not sure.. i only read the manga, with no PAL Suikoden 3 available.

Suikoden 4- Again not sure, It had a very limited availability time where i live

Suikoden 5- Miakis and Lyon are awesome with the combo attack, I think anyway, and are both handy with a Shield Rune.

Thats what i have to say with characters that are "shoved" on you.
Chaco

Re: 2 quick questions about Flik and Victor

Post by Chaco »

I know what you mean, Viktor was in my party so much I got sick of him then he came back in suikoden 2 and I was like :evil: but then he turned out to be a pretty cool guy and it was Nanami's turn to be forced into my party all the time.
These wings arn't just for show you know!
-Chaco
Pesmerga VS. Yuber

Post by Pesmerga VS. Yuber »

I hate Victor, and Flik isn't much behind. Why do they have to be in my party in the last battle. Greanseal and Alen are so much better, but I can't put them because I have other characters to put first. But then again, Victor is very useful in the beginning...
Power?
Am I looking for Power?
Ever since...The first day I saw you...
I somehow knew...That we would be friends.
I was never lonely...Because you were there.
We chose...Life and death together.
I believed in you...Always...
RangerDeon

Post by RangerDeon »

Pesmerga VS. Yuber wrote:I hate Victor, and Flik isn't much behind. Why do they have to be in my party in the last battle. Greanseal and Alen are so much better, but I can't put them because I have other characters to put first. But then again, Victor is very useful in the beginning...
but they kicked so much ass!!

:(

"I wasn't getting rid of you. I want you to do whatever you want to do with me. I know that sounded dirty, and dirty things count, but I didn't mean the dirty things. You and me can hang whenever, wherever."
-Lorelai Gilmore