Castle of the Underdogs Ep1 released for Switch

Depository for Suikoden related Fan work (art, fan-fiction, games, etc).
All material posted here must comply with the U.S. Fair Use Doctrine
Vextor
Global Admin

Castle of the Underdogs Ep1 released for Switch

Post by Vextor »

The Suikoden-inspired fan-made game "Castle of the Underdogs Ep1" will be released for the Nintendo Switch today April 14th.
It seems it is on sale for some parts of of the world, so I recommend trying this out.

https://www.nintendo.com/store/products ... p1-switch/

I have played this game previously on Steam, and I would call this a "comedy JRPG" as it pokes fun at many of the JRPG tropes and cliches.
It especially has many Suikoden-ish elements that brought back some feels for me. However, honestly I would say I haven't laughed so hard due to excellent comedic writing in a game for a very long time.
Antimatzist

Re: Castle of the Underdogs Ep1 released for Switch

Post by Antimatzist »

Bought this based on your recommendation, but didn't have time to play yet. I really dislike the art style, but everything I've seen so far seems really funny. I've seen this video of the hero name input screen and this alone should make every Suikoden fan buy the game immediately :-D
https://twitter.com/Joerpg84/status/1647600020273905676
JuveLeo

Post by JuveLeo »

That's pretty hilarious lol. Didn't know this game existed, but I might check it out
Vextor
Global Admin

Post by Vextor »

Antimatzist wrote: Mon Apr 17, 2023 7:40 am Bought this based on your recommendation, but didn't have time to play yet. I really dislike the art style, but everything I've seen so far seems really funny. I've seen this video of the hero name input screen and this alone should make every Suikoden fan buy the game immediately :-D
https://twitter.com/Joerpg84/status/1647600020273905676
Glad you gave it a try. I am always thrilled when fans of Suikoden create their own works -- I feel compelled to support them.
Because Kak is pretty much working on his own this game took him 3 or 4 years to put together. I think the graphic style just has to be kept minimalist due to resource constraints. The dialogue is just awesome though!
Antimatzist

Post by Antimatzist »

So started playing for 30 minutes or so and enjoyed what I've seen. So far, the humour is pretty good, and that's impressive because it's a thin line to being cringe (I'm too old for typical gamer humour...). The game also seems to be actually pretty deep gameplay-wise, considering I thought it would just replicate SNES-era JRPGs.

Controls are bad, though, and I'd rather have a fixed camera and clear borders on the map. Doesn't bother me too much, though.