Trying to figure out an use for lame runes

If you are stuck in the Dunan Unification Wars; or wish for more details on the gameplay systems, this is the place.
Punkaiser

Trying to figure out an use for lame runes

Post by Punkaiser »

I still fail to come up with any idea for nymph and chimera rune.

but there're something we could do with:

A> Sylph rune: takes away caster 2/3hp and heal all party with half of that amount.
1/ sylph+violence:cast sylph in 1st turn will activate violence in 2nd turn
2/ wakaba or LCC with sylph rune: a bit awkward , but after using sylph, they can start to hit with critical white tiger.
3/ sylph equipped to 3 characters in back row : e.g. we got 3 characters in back row as rina,nanami,nina and all have 300 max HP
Rina casts sylph: she looses 200Hp to heal all party for 100
Nina casts sylph: looses 200hp to heal all party 100
nami casts sylph: looses 200hp to heal all party 100
In total: front row characters got healed 300hp per round and rina nina nami all loose 200 then gain 200 hp as battle go on.
Note that sylph is command rune which doesnt require MP.

B>Banshee:

1/ Character#1 with violence+ double strike + double beat(sheena, killey...) and character #2 (riou, flik...) equipped with banshee and sylph
Turn1 : C1 attacks normally, C2 use sylph to heal+damage self
Turn2: C1 attacks normally, C2 uses banshee to suck hp from C1 -> C1 gets vilolent.

2/ wakaba or LCC (violence) tags along the same character #2 doing things as above-> violent critical white tiger activates.

C>Phero:
1/ equip it to riou in an all girl party,
2/ equip it to a female tanker like oulan/hannah in an all men party.
In both cases phero will act as firefly rune.
BadPotato

Re: Trying to figure out an use for lame runes

Post by BadPotato »

Maybe with 2 chimera rune we could actually keep tranfering between two character a powerful status such as Invulnerability(ex: from Cream Cutlets), so the effect never go off. This would need to be tested, I guess.
Punkaiser

Post by Punkaiser »

this is why it's a lame rune
suikosource wrote: Chimera Rune:
Transfers negative statuses to another party member, positive statuses are also removed from user but not transferred.
KFCrispy
Global Admin

Post by KFCrispy »

Invulnerability prevents the character from acting at all, so Chimera can't even be used. Same problem for Sleep, maybe Silence....

Phero Rune behaves like a Knight Rune doesn't it? I have never tried it... in Suikoden I there was no Knight Rune so it served more of a purpose (but we also can use multiple runes in 2 so it's not the one-and-only rune choice for a character).

Banshee + Sylph is a decent idea if you are using an ultra weak character, but few characters are weak when they have at least 2 open rune slots. maybe it's something for Luc to do in random battles to preserve his MP--his third rune slot would at least let him cast spells..... bleh

Skunk Rune isn't used much, but you can load 2 of 3 the front line with Skunk Rune and Blue Ribbon to force short/medium range attacks to your third front-liner, almost like Firefly.... Skunk would be given to males while females can just use an accessory slot for Blue Ribbon.
ninjaluc79

Post by ninjaluc79 »

I approve of Skunk as a (usually male) alternative to the Blue Ribbon, especially if you have a tank (with Firefly or otherwise) with you. That way, all single-target physical attacks will be directed to your tank. All you have to watch out for are multi-target attacks.

Nymph if I'm not mistaken is a luck-based magic rune, while you can use Dryad to spam your level 1 spells if your level 2 isn't all that useful. Riou is one example. Great Blessing, no matter how small it heals, is pretty much spammable with Dryad. But I would rather have Magic Drain all day.
It's not all about knowledge, but it helps.
BadPotato

Post by BadPotato »

Ok, Invulnerability won't work, then I only see one way to have a good use for the chimera rune... but this require some setup and might only work with some tool-assist like feature : Get two powerful mage with chimera rune and one of them has the "panic status".

The panic status can sometime allow the caster to use his must power spell without having to pay the MP. So, let's see what could happen in the best scenario and a bit of luck:
Turn #1 :
--> Riou(faster one) : Use some item to put the slowest mage in panic status
--> Mage#1 : Regular play
--> Mage#2(slowest one)[with panic] : Cast Thor Shot for free
Turn #2 :
--> Riou(faster one) : Regular play
Turn #3 :
Turn #4 :
--> Mage#2(slowest one)[with panic] : Transfer his panic status to mage #1
Turn #5 :
--> Mage#1[with panic] : Cast Final Flame for free
--> Mage#2(slowest one) : Regular play
...and keep playing like that until you win the battle

So yeah... the player would rather just use an another item again and again to put his 2 mages in panic and I'm unsure if we use the chimera rune while been in panic. Also if the faster mage could transfer his status to the slowest mage, I think the slowest might loose his turn.

Anyway, I think the combo chimera+panic could be more investigated. We already know that the game fail sometime to manage MP and turn order when using unite rune, so maybe there could be something to do about this case.
KFCrispy
Global Admin

Post by KFCrispy »

uhhhh depending on Tool Assist or save state / reload to "control" what random actions the Panic character take is not useful or even practical unless you want to make some fancy video!
i have never seen Panic status, i should try it next time i play :)
veeshadow

Post by veeshadow »

I'm not sure if there is any boss beside Beast Rune that can survive for more than 5 turns for that trick...
http://i228.photobucket.com/albums/ee89 ... encard.gif

S2 Perfect Game Challenge !!
http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLBCB3CE3392687908

Why Ridley keep appearing in random thumbnails in my videos. OMG Ridley stop terrorize me !!!!
Punkaiser

Post by Punkaiser »

I never had panic status neither, but as described, it's very close to confusion in other games where victim does a random action. We may restrict the character's command type by putting the panic short range character in back row and don't equip him with any accessory item, then exhausted all his level1,2,3 spells that way he will only have "defend / rune(level4) / shift" command but still a big gamble of 1/3 guessing game.

And wait...since panic doesnt care about MP, will the character still able to cast other spells which are supposed to be exhausted?