Sunshine King freezes game

A forum to ask questions if you are stuck in the The Gate Rune Wars; or wish for more clarity on the gameplay systems.
KlownKefka

Sunshine King freezes game

Post by KlownKefka »

I play this on PS3 via PSN digital copy, and I've been having an issue where the game likes to freeze while fighting the Sunshine King. I've reset and redownloaded the game and it still happens. Has anyone else had this issue? Is it an issue with the digital copy, or is that something that happens with the actual disc too?
JuveLeo

Re: Sunshine King freezes game

Post by JuveLeo »

Very odd. I've purchased digital copies of Suikoden on PS3 and PS Vita and I don't recall ever having freezing issues. If the issue is persisting even after deleting and reinstalling, it might be the digital copy. I'm not 100 percent though.
sticky-runes

Post by sticky-runes »

When exactly does the game freeze? Is it when you use a certain command in combat, or when the monster takes his turn? Or does it freeze at the beginning or end of the battle? Are you able to flee from the battle and carry on playing as normal?
KlownKefka

Post by KlownKefka »

It likes to freeze when the Sunshine King does his disc throwing attack. Can't remember the name, but he has all the rings he throws at your party. It freezes, gets stuck making one part of the noise during the casting repeatedly (so it sounds awful). Nothing happens. It doesn't catch up or anything. I muted my TV and let it go for a while once just to see and it never unstuck.
sticky-runes

Post by sticky-runes »

What runes have you got attached to your party members? Have you tried fighting a sunshine king with different characters?

I had a similar experience with the sirens in Sheherazade,the game would freeze when a siren used her singing attack. I had a character equipped with the double beat rune, this was on the orignal PS1 disk, not the PS store version. The problem stopped occuring when I removed the double beat rune.
KlownKefka

Post by KlownKefka »

Yeah it's happened my last two playthroughs. Nothing specific, I use completely random party members for the memes. This most recent run I have Kwanda, Milich, Varkas, Sydonia and Grenseal with me. No Double Beat, I've never taken it off Eikei. I actually only found out a couple years ago you even could.
sticky-runes

Post by sticky-runes »

Ah so its not like the problem I had, so maybe my issue really was because of an old worn out disk. Not sure what this could be then, I always assumed digital games were safer from crashing. Guess you need to insta kill him with Deadly Fingertips and Hell.
JuveLeo

Post by JuveLeo »

Maybe call Sony and see what they can do? There shouldn't be issues with digital games. Very odd. Hopefully it all works out for you.
sticky-runes

Post by sticky-runes »

Have you tried checking your PS3 for corrupt files? Maybe that's causing the problem? It's a long shot...
KlownKefka

Post by KlownKefka »

I've uninstalled and reinstalled the game several times so if there were any corrupt files they're taken care of. Now if the PSN has a corrupt file in it's copy of it, that'd affect anyone playing the PSN copy. But I haven't found anyone else that's replicated the issue.
sticky-runes

Post by sticky-runes »

Not just in the game, but on the entire PS3 system. You can boot the PS3 console up in safe mode and try to remove any files that may have become corrupted. There are all kinds of youtube videos explaining how to do it. Give a try.
Pyriel
Webmaster

Post by Pyriel »

Are you on the latest firmware? This sounds like a POPS emulator issue.
KlownKefka

Post by KlownKefka »

Yeah I've checked everything, no corrupted data. Next time I seriously play again I'll see if it happens with my disc too.

I am on latest firmware, thanks. It has been a while since I updated so maybe that was it