origin of the title "Rhapsodia"

Closed with the release.
KFCrispy
Global Admin

origin of the title "Rhapsodia"

Post by KFCrispy »

I was reading about Steve Jobs (Apple founder and CEO who was fired by his own company and later was pretty much paid to take over the company) today and read about "Rhapsody (OS)"

from Wikipedia.org:
Rhapsody was the code name given to Apple Computer's next-generation operating system during the period of its development between Apple's purchase of NeXT in late 1996 and the release of Mac OS X Server in 2000.
it seems like Rhapsodia's tactical RPG battle is a new system to the suikoden staff, and although it may not be some "next-generation" battle system, it sounds reasonable the name was inspired by the Mac OS X........
Vextor
Global Admin

Post by Vextor »

Konami has officially stated that "Rhapsodia" is a word they create based on their understanding of the word "Rhapsode" which thry thought meant, "bard" or "people who recite epic poetry." However, the correct world for that would be Rhapsodist, so they are wrong with their translation as usual.

Furthermore, "Rhapsodia" is a word that exists in Latin and classical Greek, and the word "Rhapsody" comes from that. Thus, Konami claiming they created this word is sort of strange.
Arenegeth

Post by Arenegeth »

Yes from my knowledge of Greek Rapsodia is the original form of Rhapsody.

Greeks in modern Greek will say Rapsodia when referring to Rhapsody, also if I'm not mistaken Rhapsody is was used by ancient Greeks for some sort of poetic songs as SARS said, but my Greek mythology and history is getting rusty.

So I think that Konami found the word Rhapsody liked the sound of it and turn it to Rapsodia thinking that they “invented” it, little did they know apparently that Rapsodia was the original form of the word.
”I am ye who walks his own path and thus I walk alone”
~Arenegeth~
blue_lightning

Post by blue_lightning »

yeh its a trend in Rpg series isn't it? Grandia, Legaia, Disgaea...what is with that? Suikoden used to be such a different one *sigh*
KFCrispy
Global Admin

Post by KFCrispy »

... well then.....
patapi
Forum Moderator

Post by patapi »

While the word isn't as original as they thought it is, what is a 'rhapsode' anyway?
rhapsode

\Rhap"sode\ (r[a^]p"s[=o]d), n. [Gr. "rapsw,do`s. See Rhapsody.] (Gr. Antiq.) A rhapsodist. [R.] --Grote.
Main Entry: rhap·sode
Pronunciation: 'rap-"sOd
Function: noun
Etymology: French, from Greek rhapsOidos
: RHAPSODIST
An established synonym for "rhapsodist"? Konami wasn't too far off.
Vextor
Global Admin

Post by Vextor »

Interesting. I guess my dictionary was wrong or something. Thanks for the correction; Konami is correct!
Shirofan

Post by Shirofan »

Dictionaries don't tend to be wrong very often; they just don't tend to be complete. Mainly this is due to space constraints (The current Complete Oxford English Dictionary is 20 large volumes),

Rhapsode is in the Concise version and it is specifically as Konami describe "a reciter of epic poems, especially one in ancient Greece who recited the Homeric poems.

Rhapsodist can mean a Rhapsode, but in general terms is more likely to mean someone who enthuses about something.

However, Konami are not using this dictionary either, as the Greek Rhapsōidia is listed in the source.
What is the difference between PAL and NTSC? Why do some games take ages to get a PAL conversion, or get none whatsoever?
Find the answers and more at http://www.palcorner.com or ask at the forums.
Arenegeth

Post by Arenegeth »

Well if Rhapsode is Rhapsody in French is the same thing, most European Languages originate from Greek thus Rhapsōidia, so Konami made another mistake then.

I'm right or wrong?
”I am ye who walks his own path and thus I walk alone”
~Arenegeth~
dragonmasterx
Elite Member

Post by dragonmasterx »

Since Tales of Legendia comes out on the 24th, I've been thinking how Rhapsodia is similar to Legendia. The same pattern goes for some other Tales titles such as Phantasia and Symphonia. I just found this interesting to note.
Siel Avadon

Post by Siel Avadon »

I think the names pretty lame, Since in Sweden we have a show called "rahpsody in rock"

Also, Then this game is about a "muscian"? "Narcsist?"
Jeane, The Marilyn Monroe of Suikoden.
Angelis_Taleria
Elite Member

Post by Angelis_Taleria »

Perhaps you are intepreting it wrong. Rather than be about a bard or musician, maybe this is the song about an epic hero with Konami being the bard rather than an actual in-game character.

I hope that made sense.
I hope everything is going delicious.
Fundertaker
Location: DeathValley, Underworld (The World where Deadmans come)

Post by Fundertaker »

Or even better, Konami is making their own version of the Odissey, addapted to the Suikoverse.
Kasumi

Post by Kasumi »

How sad I feel suddenly... Am I the only one here to think about "Bohemian Rhapsody" and "Rhapsody in blue" ?
Well, in the end I should have dated Tir before the end of the war...
Angelis_Taleria
Elite Member

Post by Angelis_Taleria »

Kasumi wrote:How sad I feel suddenly... Am I the only one here to think about "Bohemian Rhapsody" and "Rhapsody in blue" ?
I thought about Bohemian Rhapsody, but like Homer's Iliad and the Odyssey, I doubt it'll have anything to do with Rhapsodia. It's merely a name, and from what we've seen I don't think it'll be too much like either of those.

And, Kasumi, of course you'd think of Bohemian Rhapsody! You're french!
I hope everything is going delicious.