Front Gate Rune

Detailed hypotheses for, and analysis of, the events transpiring during the Suikoden games
Asquian

Front Gate Rune

Post by Asquian »

I know that the current whereabouts of this and the Sovereign rune are unknown, and i have NO proof for this theory whatsoever other than speculation, but it's my opinion that Lady Leknaat may have taken possession of both runes after the fall of Barbarossa.
I think that either she herself retrieved them, or she had Luc retrieve them before returning to her from Barbarossa and Windy's bodies. It may be that she or Luc then disposed of the bodies afterwards, as Windy was Leknaat's Sister, and Lady Leknaat is kindly enough to take pity on both of them enough to bury or entomb them somewhere.

As to use of these runes, i don't believe Lady Leknaat bears the Front Gate or Sovereign runes, but instead sealed them somewhere, much the way the Rune of Beginning was sealed, awaiting those whom destiny choose to possess them.
Sonya -cat

Great RPGs never die, they just get more expensive -Me
Vextor
Global Admin

Post by Vextor »

The only problem is that there is no practical reason why Leknaat won't combine the Front half with her Back. Also, the Front half is still officially stated as "missing" at the time of Suikoden 3.
RageRune

Post by RageRune »

So is that the reason why Konami changed Windy and Barbarossa's status from dead to MIA? If that's the case then is it possible for them to come back.
Stallion

Post by Stallion »

However it seems to be impossible to bear two true runes at the same time. I believe Windy was after Soul Eater because it was a full rune with power over life and death. If and when she acquired it, I believe she would have discarded or hidden her Front Gate rune.

It is also possible that it is like Luc in GS3, where he traps runes in those 'hosts' ... but i don't think the hosts could hold them for any great length of time, hence why he tried to get them all at the same time.

Then again I imagine Windy must have wanted the Sovereign rune, which is why she was so close to Barbarossa...
Vextor
Global Admin

Post by Vextor »

Windy knew a method that would have allowed her to have two true runes on her body.
Stallion

Post by Stallion »

Therefore is it then possible to bear two halves of a whole true rune without combining them? Front Gate LH - Back Gate RH... ???

Also would it then be possible to bear all 27 ( well including halves it may be more ) runes on one character? Surely it would destroy them...
Red Killey
Elite Member

Post by Red Killey »

I think what Windy could do is to have 2 full True Runes. Meaning RH-Gate Rune, LH-Souleater Rune for example. But on the other hand, I'm pretty sure that she could have RH-Front Gate Rune LH-Souleater Rune as well.

There would be no point in attaching both halves as in RH-Front Gate Rune, LH-Back Gate Rune without uniting them while you could get the same effect by combining the two and it would use one slot only.

Note: I know that the Front Gate Rune was attached to the chest, the RH/LH was just used as an example.
The new chief of moderating team. If you notice any problems within the discussion forum, do inform me. Thank you.
Asquian

Post by Asquian »

I don't think the two halves of the gate rune can BE united, i think that like the Rune of Beginning, the two halves that make up the one rune nonetheless remain two seperate runes. thus windy could wield both halves of the gate rune with her technique, but she would nonetheless have to wield them on seperate hands, or wherever. Leknaat may know the technique, and may even secretly wield both halves of the Gate rune after Suiko 1, but i find it unlikely as wouldn't having 2 true runes end up in the person's eventual destruction? It's probably possible to bear both aspects of a true rune without too much danger, but wouldn't the self itineraries of 2 true runes eventually clash to the wielder's doom?

even Riou would have to bear the rune of Begining on both hands. I suppose he'd technically only be wielding 1 true rune, but would be wielding both aspects of it. The rune wouldn't be combined, just fully wielded.

I know there's nothing official, thus why it's a theory.
Sonya -cat

Great RPGs never die, they just get more expensive -Me
adrich
Elite Member

Post by adrich »

The two halves of the Gate Rune were once united, but Windy and Leknaat separated them when Harmonia attacked their clan to protect the rune. It would be logical to assume that if they can separate it they can also reunite the halves.

The Rune of Beginning can also exist as a single rune (there's a single symbol for it, after all), it just hasn't been united in known history.
Raww Le Klueze
Global Admin

Post by Raww Le Klueze »

Also would it then be possible to bear all 27
She knew how to attach 2 True Runes not an unlimited ammount, note the difference. She's also the only known person to have this technique and it seemed to be dependant on the Soul Eater to work in the first place.
Archangelknux2

Post by Archangelknux2 »

Stallion wrote:Therefore is it then possible to bear two halves of a whole true rune without combining them? Front Gate LH - Back Gate RH... ???

Also would it then be possible to bear all 27 ( well including halves it may be more ) runes on one character? Surely it would destroy them...
Your right, it would Destroy them. Thats why Hikusaak created who he did (trying not to spoil it). Otherwise he would have kept those true runes in him.

OH Anyone notice Windy's facial expression at the end of the first game? She didn't seem pleased with Barbarossa, in fact she seemed shocked and angry.
Your friend and mine Archangelknux2
Silver Novelist

Front Gate Rune

Post by Silver Novelist »

It's been a while since I played Suikoden I, but here's my theory ^.^...

I may be misunderstanding this topic, but I think it seems it was originally about the whereabouts of the Front Gate Rune and Sovereign Rune along with their carriers Windy and Barbarossa following the Gate Rune War.

[spoiler]

Nearring the end of Suikoden, after the battle against the Golden Hydra, Windy confessed her betrayals to Barbarossa, taking her ressemblance of Claudia as her advantage along with her Conqueror Rune. In response he confessed that his Sovereign Rune had protected him from the magic and saw her through her actions through compassion for her. In reaction she begins to refuse Barbarossa's confession, but he embrace's her and jumps off the Floating Gardens with her in his arms.

In my opinion I believe that there was a certain adorning Windy had for the emporer and later realized what she had done to him after the confession, trying to deny feelings for him in the end. And my possible theories start after that incident...[/spoiler]

Theory 1: Both Windy and Barbarossa Die

After reading the information in the article "True Runes" in the "History" section of the site, I noticed that it mentioned a True Rune Bearer's immortality only came from a halting of their aging, and that they could still die from physical injury. Since they did infacted jump off the gardens, this theory simply inquires that they did die among impact... however, that doesn't explain missing boddies ^^;;

Theory 2: Windy and Barbarossa Live on Together

The ending for the Suikoden I in my opinion seemed to put Barbarossa and Windy in a suttle relationship. After their jumping they could have survived since they both should have some endurance being granted effect from bearing True Runes... Having lived they could have reconciled and ran away from Toran, Barbarossa giving up what little he had left in exchange to live his life in happiness with Windy... which would explain the missing bodies, but might not be very believable to those of whom don't think they had a relationship or anything of the sorts.

and finally...

Theory 3: Barbarossa Dies and Windy Lives on in Hiding

Barbarossa mentioned that the Sovereign Rune was imbedded in his sword, not his body. Referring to an example between Viktor and the Zodiac Sword (Star Dragon Sword) there is no proof that he was immortal. It really can't be assumed that Barbarossa was immortal, because there is no proof Viktor was when he had the Zodiac Sword (Which supposedly has the Night Rune imbedded into it or said theory). If Edge during Suikoden III had further explained his encounter with Viktor, maybe mentioning his appearance or Viktor actually telling him he had immortality, then it could be assumed that a true rune doesn't need to be attached to a body to grant effects. Concluding that when Barbarossa fell, he possibly didn't have the strength of the Sovereign Rune and died on impact...

Moving on with the theory, Windy however had the Front Gate Rune on her body and even with only half a True Rune she obviously had immortality or prolongued life, being well over 300 years old(300 years ago, she destroyed Ted's Villiage). With the strength of the rune, she could have possibly been able to survive the fall given the rune's effect on her body's endurance. Feeling sympathy (See romance inquiry in Theory 2) she carried Barbarossa's body away and could have burried him somewhere secluded as to keep his grave away from those of whom now despised him as the Vile Emporer of the Scarlet Moon. She then could have taken the Sovereign Rune and accomplished her goal of 2 True Runes or she could have burried it along with Barbarossa. Nevertheless, she still would have had to go into hiding because Harmonia was once after her rune, why not go after it again?

And those are my theories as to what could have happened to the Front Gate Rune, the Sovereign Rune, and their bearers. I'm still new to the Forum thingy but this seems fun <(^.^)>
Maldonado

Post by Maldonado »

Well, if I had boath halfs of Gate Rune, I'd deffinitly combined it! And I'd be the most powerful man in the world. So I don't see why Leknaat wouldn't do the same...
Sir Maldon, the mighty knight of Greenland, bringer of fear and destruction, destroyer of wine barrels, pride of Imperial Heavily Armored Knights Special Elite Destroyer Unit, evil monsters' WORST nightmare!!!!!!!!
Argento Breesa

Post by Argento Breesa »

Leknaat is more pure than Windy and she's not after power. Leknaat might if she completely knows that Windy is indeed dead. But she's not going to go out and search for the Front Gate. (will she? :? )
"If you have nothing better to say to me, then leave me alone." -me
koriand'r

Post by koriand'r »

What I don't get is this: The sovereign rune is pretty much anti magic *hence why windy couldn't kill him* if that's so than the only way they could had been missing without being retrieved is that they teleported away. But they couldn't have due to the nature of the sovereign rune in that it cancels magic right?

Windy's method to obtaining two true runes, would it had been similar to whatever the methods both luc and sera used to gained the elemental true runes?