In-depth analysis on True Runes..one-stop True Rune Shop

Detailed hypotheses for, and analysis of, the events transpiring during the Suikoden games
The Prophet

Post by The Prophet »

It is no problem at all. I am glad you enjoyed it and learned a new perspective. Any comments are still more than welcomed.
The Prophet

Post by The Prophet »

Hmm, I have had another thought after thinking about the Sun and Night Runes. We can all see how the Blue Moon Rune has a relation to the Night Rune. This relationship is apparent for many reasons aside from the fact that Sierra has had some prior relation to the Night Rune. But, we must all remember that the Night Rune is very close to the Sun Rune, as well. So, that led me to look into how the Sun Rune and Blue Moon Rune relate. And it brought me to a wonderful topic, which is the eclipse.

Not to get all bookwormish, but I will describe an eclipse for those who might not understand it. It is a phenomenon in which the Sun is overshadowed by the Moon, which blocks out its brilliance and gives way to Night. Eclipse can be defined as to obscure or darken. Interesting indeed. The friend of Night is possibly the Moon based on this correlation, and we see that the bearer of the Blue Moon Rune appears to be amicable to the Night Rune.

Aside from that, we see how Sun, Blue Moon, and Night have a considerable bond. The Sun is likened to nurturing and fertility and the Moon is often contrasted with the Sun in myths and typically deals with the menstruation cycle of women. Yes, it is linked to the fertile flow of blood.

Also, note, vampires and various creatures of the Night and conversely spawned by the Blue Moon Rune are weakened or drained by the light, or should I say the Sun. Could the Night Rune have severed its ties to the Sun Rune to draw closer to the Blue Moon Rune? Recall that Book 2 also mentions that the Dawn and Twilight Runes accompanied the Sun Rune as its guardian as it was abadoned by the Night Rune. Could the Night Rune have taken a desire to be next to the Blue Moon Rune which understood its innate desires? Who knows. But, I find it fun to speculate in regards to this.

The main purpose of this little addition was just to point out the possible connections that each True Rune has and how through a little research you can uncover fun little aspects that allow you to view the relationships (they are sentient beings after all) between the True Runes in a different light.
The Prophet

Discussion of lesser runes and other miscellaneous runes

Post by The Prophet »

Here is where I will continue the detailed discussion of runes classification and the reasons for such class types.

Higher Class: 27 True Runes, which I would divide into three subdivisions

Unique/Special: Dawn, Twilight, Bright Shield and Black Sword

Middle Class: Cyclone, Mother Earth, Star, Rage, Thunder, Flowing, Condemnation, etc.

Lesser Class: Fire, Wind, water, Lightning, Earth, Ressurection, Blinking, Shield, Beast, Eight Devil

Attack Type: Elemental Sword Runes

Non-Rune related skills or adaptions of magic

Status Types: Turtle, Sunbeam, Phero, Charm, Prosperity, Skunk, etc.

Skill Runes (pertaining to talent, mutations, etc.): Rabid Fang, Spider Slay, Falcon, Boar, White Saint, Jongleur, Trickster, Killer, Shrike, Kite, Godspeed/Holy, etc.

These runes not related to the True Runes such as Elemental Swords are adaptations of magic used for practical purposes. The rune bearer manipulates the element of water to give the weapon that property. It is just an innovation on the usage of magic.

Skill Runes are basically individual skills and techniques, but also refer to innate abilities related to the very nature of the bearer. Note, that Bob has a Rabid Fang Rune which has the ability to maintain his human state. This is an adaptation of runic magic. Boar Runes cannot be used by anyone other than brawlers and Kite Runes can only be used by talented projectile users. They are typically not related to True Runes.

Whereas, the status type runes much like the Elemental Sword runes relate to runes through adaptations, but some also are based on the individuals latent talents. Let's use the Charm Rune as an example. Jeane bears striking beauty, the Charm Rune represents her latent ability to attract the male species. Now, let's look at the Turtle Rune. I believe that this particular rune is an adaptation of the properties of earth and allows protection from abnormal statuses inherent to the earth.
Sniper_Zegai

Post by Sniper_Zegai »

I read this on the editorials section of this website about a month ago. I cant honestly say that there was anything to correct or disagree with. Then again Im clearly not as intellegent as you lol.

The eightfold rune and soveriegn rune sections were fascinating. And I just thought I'd come and say job well done and give you a pat on the back and will look forward to more true rune updates.

Seeya.
PSX Emulator Questions are here, if you have problems. Ask and hopefully I can help. Formerly known as Seifer by the way.
The Prophet

Post by The Prophet »

Thank you for your compliments.
Rune of Illusion

Post by Rune of Illusion »

I've been thinking about the relationship between the Night and Blue Moon Runes myself. One allows for vampires to exist while the other creates vampires. In a way they work together. I didn't even think of Solar Eclipses. Moon phases also comes into this some how I believe.
you can learn more about a person in an hour of play than in a year of conversation.
EternalOnslaught

Post by EternalOnslaught »

Night rune also can take them out of existence too, The moon phases might have something to do with it, but to what degree? I agree that the night rune might've severed its bond with the sun rune to get closer to the blue moon rune. Which brings me to another true rune but kindof on the same subject. I've heard that the Dragon Rune is somehow similar to the night rune, by allowing dragons to exist in our world. It says that the night rune allows nocturnal creatures to exist in the world, such as vampires, skeletons zombies, etc. This is VERY far-fetched and silly, but what if a world of these creatures exist somewhere, without the night rune these creatures couldn't exist in our world, right? Seeing as it allows them to exist in this world, but seeing as the night rune doesn't have an actual host, instead its a sword reincarnated, which might as well be the night rune all together, unless it's somehow a host?

I also thought though, since they are similar, but very different all together. So, say a human were to bear the night rune, would they have control over the undead? As well as the dragon rune has control over dragons? That the dragon rune can destroy a dragon, like the night rune can destroy an undead creature. This is just my rambling, but the similarities end very quickly between the two.

What really baffles me though, and a more offtopic from what I previously typed. Is how Wilder(not to be confused with the duck in S3) in the Solar Year 160 was able to defeat a vampire. Isn't the night rune the only thing that can destroy a vampire?(I might be wrong about this, but I am pretty sure Neclord was invincible until the Zodiac/Night rune intervene)
Sandalphon - Senso Suikoden
Rune of Illusion

vampires can be killed without the aid of the Night Rune. Rean Penenburg was killed without the Night Rune. Either the Blue Moon Rune can grant immunity from physical and magical attacks or Neclord had some sort of incredible secret skill he learned from somewhere. The former seems more probable because Viktor said that "rune" Neclord had made him immune to swords and magic.

I would assume one who bears the Night Rune can control creatures of the Night.
Last edited by Rune of Illusion on Mon Mar 12, 2007 7:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
you can learn more about a person in an hour of play than in a year of conversation.
The Prophet

Post by The Prophet »

Don't confuse the fact that the Night Rune can destroy creatures of the night, with it being their creator. The Blue Moon Rune allows vampires to exist in the Suikoden World and is their creator. The Night Rune simply has influence over those creatures based ont he fact that they are creatures of the night.

Also, the Dragon Rune does not create dragons, it allows them to exist in the Suikoden World, which is not their traditional home. In that way, it is very similar to the Night Rune, as the Night Rune allows creatures from the World of Endless Nights to exist outside of their world they exist in their home world jsut fine without the Night Rune present. This is the main point where these True Runes parallel, but the Dragon Rune has established a close bond with the mortals of the world, where as the Night Rune has not, thus not binding the creatures that fall under its realm to the mortals of the Suikoden World. Therefore, I would assume that even if the bearer bore the Night Rune they would only have marginal, if any, influence over creatures of the Night.
EternalOnslaught

Speaking of which, it seems like every true rune has it's own personality. They are infact living entities, so that shouldn't be a suprise at all. It would be interesting to compare human personalities to that of true runes. Like the Dragon rune, being close to humans, which is true. And the night rune being very distant, almost seemlingly to almost entirely disliking humans, even though Viktor and Edge held the Zodiac sword, they too were talked down by the Zodiac sword. Hopefully you get where I am going at.
The Prophet

Post by The Prophet »

Certainly, each True Rune has its own individual desires. The only True Rune to have expressed something that we could call a personality is the Night Rune. Personal preferences of the True Runes does effect who they choose to bear them. That is quite obvious. I doubt that we see another True Rune as outgoing and vocal as the Night Rune, though.
EternalOnslaught

I believe you are right about that, sad really. I am pretty sure you can also compare a few mental disorders that some humans are diagnose with. Such as, say a true rune had a schizophernic disorder or clinical bi-polar. I truly believe the Sun Rune had to be atleast a little angry that the night rune seperated itself from them. And if your theory of the night rune wanting to get closer to the Blue Moon rune, maybe even jealously?

Envy, hatred, lust, sloth, pride, greed, gluttony. And I know a few of thoughs may not be possible, considering the actual physics of a true rune, being a entity considered as a god. But they aren't perfect, I haven't thought about it much, but it would be a treat, if Konami decides to go deeper with the personalities of the true runes.
The Prophet

Post by The Prophet »

Well, like you stated, they are completely sentient beings. There is relatively no limit to the possibilities Konami could treat us to. It is possible that there are other entities like them in the known worlds and only 27 are known of to the Suikoden World. I would state that the Sun Rune simply became unstable other than jealous, but it is very possible that the Sun Rune desperately misses the Night Rune.

It could also be argued that the Night Rune simply desired to remove itself from the ever bright Sun Rune because it diminished its ability to stand out and that's why it leans towards the Blue Moon Rune do to its inclination towards the Darkness, as well. Maybe it is all based on an innate desire and not an emotion. Maybe it is all based on a function contrived from the very moment they were borne into existence. These are all very real possibilities.
Rune of Illusion

The Beast seems to be particular if it really dis just up and left Harmonia without warning and Sun shown that it wasn't going to born by anyone other than a rightful heir to the Falenian thrown. Still I would like to even more particular runes and they really show how human they could be.
The Prophet

Post by The Prophet »

Well, each True Rune seems to be "picky" when it chooses who will have the right to use its powers. Each bearer has to have characteristics or attributes about themselves that would best suit the True Rune and aid it in achieving its individual desires.

For instance, the True Wind Rune would not have been very well suited to the stoic, constant and unyielding nature of Sasarai, but his personality perfectly suited the True Earth Rune. The Soul Eater was perfectly suited to be used by Tir because he has a lot of close friends around him and we witness how the Soul Eater is clashing with Tir now that he has decided to isolate himself from those close to him.

It is hard to see how human a True Rune can be because they are not supposed to be human or mortal, they are supposed to be beyond that. But, that would be a nice angle for the creators to throw in.