True Runes granting memories of previous owners

Questions about the locations mentioned in the series; and those about the backstory not seen in the games.
ItsDaveyJ

True Runes granting memories of previous owners

Post by ItsDaveyJ »

I was replaying Suikoden 3 this weekend and I never noticed this before but... They made several claims that the runes granted them memories or insight that they didn't have before. Luc mentions this, Chris discovers who her father is through this, etc. But then in Suikoden 2 Riou and Jowy clearly follow in the footsteps of past owners and didn't seem to learn anything from their experiences. Plus, Viktor had to tell them the whole story of Genkaku... wouldn't Riou's rune have granted him those memories though?

Am I just misunderstanding how this mechanic of runes work?
Shasarazawoowoo

Re: True Runes granting memories of previous owners

Post by Shasarazawoowoo »

The Bright Shield and Black Sword Runes are separated. They are not considered True Runes when they're in this state. Only when they're united, as the Rune of Beginning, are they considered a True Rune.

Also, it probably just wasn't considered and thought ahead terribly well back then, but in SI, Tir doesn't seem to gain Ted's memories.

It could also just be that they only just started thinking of this being a thing when they worked on SIII. Either way, Riou doesn't possess a True Rune (unless you choose to defeat Jowy in the duel at the end, in which case the Black Sword Rune joins Riou's Bright Shield Rune to grant him the Rune of Beginning).
ItsDaveyJ

Post by ItsDaveyJ »

Yeah that is true.

Still, like you said... Tir doesn't seem to have gained previous memories. I just found it odd that they seemed to tack that on in the third game.
ralphyu

Post by ralphyu »

Do you want memories? Rune of punishment has enough for us, though sad memories. :(
~To defy Me is to defy the Sun~ Arsthat Falena
wataru14
Guide Writer

Post by wataru14 »

When does it say in S3 that the Runes give memories? I thought Chris figured out who her father was before she took the Rune. She just deduced it on her own. Luc was shown visions of the future, but I don't recall anything about memories of the past. None of the other True Rune bearers we meet ever mentioned memories. The Rune of Punishment definitely allows you to see old bearers's memories, but IFAIK it's the only one that does.
Raww Le Klueze
Global Admin

Post by Raww Le Klueze »

wataru14 wrote:When does it say in S3 that the Runes give memories?
Hugo: "The True Fire Rune I bear in my right hand keeps memories of the late Flame Champion."

Luc: "The True Fire Rune, like all runes, stores memories of its past bearers. Did they lead happy lives? Learn from their memories. Learn the truth about
the world and learn about what I'm trying to do."

Luc: "The world you just saw was kept as a memory in the True Wind Rune."

Hugo: "When the True Fire Rune showed me the memories of my predecessor, I thought I wasn't fit to be the Champion."

I mean, I could go on but you get the point.
None of the other True Rune bearers we meet ever mentioned memories.
McDohl states in Suikogaiden Vol.2: "The Soul Eater has so many people's thoughts and feelings in it."
Doctorum Non Urina Singulus.
ralphyu

Post by ralphyu »

I think it depends on the true rune powers, for example, Rune of punishment and Soul eater, Rune of punishment has a lot of memories from its past owners, soul eater has the ability to take souls, from the people who were important to you. Maybe, Their memories reside inside the it. I dunno with other true runes such as sun rune, etc.
~To defy Me is to defy the Sun~ Arsthat Falena