Suikoden with the best and worst named characters?

Ask questions about the personality and backstory of the multitude of characters in the Suikoden series.
27x4=108

Re: Suikoden with the best and worst named characters?

Post by 27x4=108 »

Hirathien wrote:A bystander or a little boy, not a great general...
Hahahah i love the books like "teo goes to school", "teo goes to war", "teo duels with pan and fucks your 108 stars"
Sorry for my very bad english! :S
robinfire23

Post by robinfire23 »

27x4=108 wrote:"teo goes to school", "teo goes to war", "teo duels with pan and fucks your 108 stars"

LoL!! That's really funny!! XDDDD
Some of my favorite quotes..

Luca: DIE PIG!!

Kage: A ninja waste no words..

Futch: Humphrey has friends??

Luca again: It took hundreds to kill me but I killed humans by the thousand..
27x4=108

Post by 27x4=108 »

Tru story bro.

And about "Pan", its "bread" in spanish, so its a stupid name too.
Hirathien

Post by Hirathien »

Well, it's Pahn. Not Pan.
Vextor
Global Admin

Post by Vextor »

Teo does indeed mean "god" so it's not too bad of a name.
TrueWater00

Post by TrueWater00 »

I actually thought Teo was a very good and interesting name for a general, I liked it.
Heh,I'll make sure you can never make that grin again.I'll chop you up!Ground you up!Dry you in the sun!Break you to pieces!Bury you in the ground!Piss on you!Then i'll dig you up!Pull you!Stretch you!Drag you around!I'll Never Forgive You-Viktor
27x4=108

Post by 27x4=108 »

Hirathien wrote:Well, it's Pahn. Not Pan.
But for me its still "pan" when I pronunciate it, its like "breahd" for you xD

There are worst names, like Hortez etcetcetc, or some that seem to be minstranslated, like Raura ( Laura? )
Gen. Dirge

Post by Gen. Dirge »

Both Pahn and Teo sounded like little school boys to me :\ ...
Y'know, the type who like frolicking in flowery meadows after lunch time. With a dog named Butz. XD
"I wish that days like this could just go on forever....." -Snowe Vingerhut

http://www.kian-sama.deviantart.com | http://saintdouchebag.tumblr.com/
Hey babycakes ;D
Gen. Dirge

Post by Gen. Dirge »

27x4=108 wrote:Tru story bro.

And about "Pan", its "bread" in spanish, so its a stupid name too.
I used to call him "bread." XD
"I wish that days like this could just go on forever....." -Snowe Vingerhut

http://www.kian-sama.deviantart.com | http://saintdouchebag.tumblr.com/
Hey babycakes ;D
TrueWater00

Post by TrueWater00 »

Gen. Dirge wrote:Both Pahn and Teo sounded like little school boys to me :\ ...
Y'know, the type who like frolicking in flowery meadows after lunch time. With a dog named Butz. XD
LOL I LOVE IT!, ahh yes, little Pahn and his little school yard chum Teo, Prancing about in the back yard, with their faithful companion Butz! I SMELL A SITCOMMM
Heh,I'll make sure you can never make that grin again.I'll chop you up!Ground you up!Dry you in the sun!Break you to pieces!Bury you in the ground!Piss on you!Then i'll dig you up!Pull you!Stretch you!Drag you around!I'll Never Forgive You-Viktor
Sagiri

Post by Sagiri »

TrueWater00 wrote:
Gen. Dirge wrote:Both Pahn and Teo sounded like little school boys to me :\ ...
LOL I LOVE IT!, ahh yes, little Pahn and his little school yard chum Teo, Prancing about in the back yard, with their faithful companion Butz! I SMELL A SITCOMMM
They dance around with their girlfriend Luca.
It's a pinky promise. If I break my promise you break my pinky.
Rooks

Post by Rooks »

Vextor wrote:Teo does indeed mean "god" so it's not too bad of a name.

Hmm yes and no. Listen, Gaeilege is one of the toughest languages in the world. There are five definitions for every word and five words for every definition, as the saying goes. I do not speak it naturally, but according to one nineteenth-century commentator, those who do speak it naturally are "so vocabulous that they are quite determined to never in their lives use the same word the in same way twice." The language is literally innumerable; all attempts to create a serious Irish and Scotch Gaelic dictionary have only served to be a laughingstock to natural speakers of the language. Not to mention that you still have five distinct dialects in Ireland and three in Scotland, plus others that are now lost.

Teo (it is best pronounced Tay-oh) can refer to a "God" of the tuatha de (two ah ha day), but the word most commonly used for them -both historically and in modern-day- is "aBhan" or just "Bhan" -pronounced "a-Von"- the word for "God" in the Christian sense is "Dia" (pronounced "Gia"). This holds true for both the Catholic and Protestant natural speakers. Besides, if you are refering to a person or God with the word "Teo" it would actually be "aTheo" (the TH is silent, simply pronounced a-A-O). If you are referring to an inanimate object, using the word as a noun, the word can mean: "Land" "Underground" "Country/Nation" "Soil" "Rock" "Cliff" etc etc. Do not even ask about the Verb form of the word. . . Really, the word is kinda outmoded in the modern era and is not used anymore.

I can see someone from Asia mangling the word to make it sound more like "Tao," this might be why he is named this way.

On that note, Tir (tier), means nothing much as well, but if you add "An," meaning "the," to the front then An-Tir (un-tier) means "The Kingdom." Literally in the modern-day this is a reference to the United Kingdom, or Northern Ireland, as opposed to the "Republic" or the Republic of Ireland. Though in classical Irish this word was used to refer to Ireland as a whole. Oddly, in the game, Tir created a Republic, the Republic of Toran.

Personally, I think this might be a reference to the ongoing strife in Ireland. But who knows, there is know way to tell how much of Gaeilege anyone involved with these games could speak.

*Edit*

Well, aBhan as a term for a "God" might need a bit more explanation: Take the word "Banshee," literally Ban (God) Shi (Woman). This means a "Female God," implying the ancient Celtic religion. The first letter of the word "Ban" is almost always aspirated to "Bhan" changing the "B" sound to a "V" sound. So, "Bahnsei" becomes Bhansei, then is romanized to Banshee. Yeah, Gaelic is a ridiculously complicated language.
eldrasidar

Post by eldrasidar »

of course, that assume's the translators were even thinking about Gaelic when they translated the name. Teo could just be short for Theodore(I've known a Theodore that went by that, rather than Theo). Tir could just as easily be from the old norse Tyr which means god(also can be a particular god, depending on the context, old norse is tricky). then again, it's just as likely, Teo or Tir, just happened to be phonetically similar to the japanese names, or they are gibberish.
Rooks

Post by Rooks »

eldrasidar wrote:of course, that assume's the translators were even thinking about Gaelic when they translated the name. Teo could just be short for Theodore(I've known a Theodore that went by that, rather than Theo). Tir could just as easily be from the old norse Tyr which means god(also can be a particular god, depending on the context, old norse is tricky). then again, it's just as likely, Teo or Tir, just happened to be phonetically similar to the japanese names, or they are gibberish.
Yes, true. Honestly you might be right that they are gibberish. But is is the surname "McDohl" that makes me think they were trying for Gaelic. No other language uses the surname prefix like Gaelic: Mc or Mac literally means "son" in both Scotch and Irish. So, "Son of Dohl." Dohl itself sounds Scottish to my ear too.
eldrasidar

Post by eldrasidar »

that would assume that the first name and the second name are supposed to have the same origin, and more importantly, that the Japanese are particular keen on the distinctions between various parts of European naming conventions. then again, many european names are confusing in origin. this was an interesting article today on English names(and scottish to an extent) and the effect of the norman conquest on them: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-10776581

if you want a great example of japanese developers throwing together random names, look no further than Valkyria Chronicles. it's a great example of random naming. some are alright, others are more unusual. However, given that most of these characters are supposed to be from the same small country(based on Denmark, if I had to guess), their names are all over the place.