The Most Underestimated Character.

If you are stuck in the Flame Champion War; or wish for more details on gameplay issues, ask your questions in this forum.
highwind44029

Post by highwind44029 »

That's true, but what defeats him is his lack of skill slots. Even when mounted, he's not as effective as Hugo/Fubar and Franz/Ruby would be.
darkness knight

hmm

Post by darkness knight »

Well in my own opinion i never really liked fubar because he was to weak to be a beast but that was my own opinion,Futch is stronger than hugo and faster even thou he cant swing 3 times or 4 like hugo Futch is still very reliable in terms of damage,speed,and HP, and Bright was way better than fubar even thou he didnt had a lot of skill slots but his HP and his strenght made up for it
Thë®ë å®ë ÞëøÞlë whø ƒølløw thëî® d®ëåm§...ßüt tø më d®ëåm§ å®ë d®ëåm§..nøthîng mø®ë
KFCrispy
Global Admin

Post by KFCrispy »

what's so wonderful about Franz/Ruby compared to Futch/Bright? i know Franz and Ruby have great magic defense making them probably the top survival "unit" in the game (beats out tanks cuz of HP as well as damage dealing, since defeating enemies effectively increases survival), but i think Futch and Bright have higher damage output; survivability isn't something to worry about for mounted pairs.
Lore-Lai

Post by Lore-Lai »

but I like Ruby and Fubar, their swing attacks are useful in battlefield and it's able to stun enemy too. I think Ruby's special attack is pretty useful to beat one enemy quickly.
Dura Sinai

Post by Dura Sinai »

i-patch wrote:i dunno if you guys noticed, but alanis is quite an underdog as well..
aside from the ubermages (sasarai, estella) she's the only one who scores an A in pale gate magic, and she doesn't have any fixed rune on her three slots, making her a nifty mage
downside is, her magic stat sucks.. but that's nothing a few stones of magic couldn't fix..

i set her up this way:
H: pale gate
rh: shield
lh: earth (not mother earth; clay guardian is dead useful)

custom casque
true thunderbolt leather
blue ribbon
earth magic ring
resistance ring

now i have an underage wizard straight out of miss minchin's dormitory.. this way, she bests sasarai, estella, rody, and the two vikis bcoz:
>sasarai cant protect himself with a blue ribbon given that his defenses suck.. giving him a skunk rune would keep him from using pale gate
>estella is stuck with her rage rune (we all know that fire magic sucks)
Uh Alanis has among the worst HP in the game, even for a mage. Sure blue ribbon can assist a bit but she does not fare well in battle and well, magic stat being low greatly limits the effectiveness of most runes. Only real use for her is as a support with runes like Shield/Water/Earth where the stat does not affect things so greatly.

Piccolo has similar issues. Sure he is fantastic with a rather useful magic type. However his general stats are abysmal. He has low HP even for a mage, is not very quick and lacks even in the magic defense compared the other pure mages like Estella, Viki's Sasarai etc. If he can't survive particularly well in the back row, that greatly limits his use. A shame because lightning magic is king against just about any boss.

And Estella is a natural S in Fire magic and along with the ubermages with the precision skill is among the only characters not likely to zap your party. She's actually one of the best mages to use statwise with the highest HP of the pure mages, second or third highest magic skill, an S rank affinity etc etc. It's just hard to use her since she is very unlikable.

And well...... Sasarai, yes he has piss poor physical defense. That is why you basically make him the back person in a pair and he generally won't make major movements toward an enemy. His attack is near worthless anyway. (pre-puberty characters beat him out on strength.) He shouldn't get targeted very often by monsters at all if you spread the team out a little bit to offer a barrier. And as compensation he has uberdefense on magic side. He usually deflects it or takes minimal damage. In the last battle he is great for Canopy Defense and also he has permanant flowing rune with high affinity (A or A+). Like most of the mages, you just need to use him properly.

As far as the underrated.... Twaikin is one of the best tanks in the game along with good old Fred. Sure he's a dwarf who digs in the lizard's dwelling for no reason and uses a shovel as a weapon but he is a bit of a monster. Has the HP and defense and skills to take lots of hits. Even his magic defense is not entirely abysmal for a tanker. And well, with his magic skill I doubt it matters much if his rune slots are not exactly open. Firefly is all that is needed and it lets the rest of the team unleash everything with little fear of harm.

Nei is the best support mage for most of the game. Either use her for her Jongular rune or if need be to heal and she is simply wonderful. But the praises for her have gone along. She isn't quite a pure mage as she can also serve for modest attack. I actually equate her to Ellie and Rina in the second game and Cleo in the first where they were mages that were also somewhat suited to actual combat.

Augustine is one of the best people to recruit with Thomas. His usefulness diminishes in later levels but early in the game he is hands down one of the better optional characters. Someone already mentioned his ability with parry and swing combined with his brooches can benefit him greatly.

Also I think the most underrated combo attack is the Fubar and Hallec one. Everyone has Hugo mount Fubar so it is not often used but it does incredible damage. Even though it is once a round, most of the midget random battles will be knocked over by it.
King_Zax

Post by King_Zax »

I've yet to meet anyone who uses these two characters a ton:

Lucia: I gave her a Warrior, Fury, and Double-Strike Rune, sharpened her weapon as high as it can go and set her to work. She dishes out about 2800+ with her two hits this way. And she has a really good accuracy and repel which makes her damage survival rate pretty good.

Borus: I and my friends always overlooked Borus. He's just so average and just seemed like a generic fighter clone...I gave him a fury rune, a level 16 weapon and a high Heavy Damage skill and he'd do around 2000 damage with his swings. Excellent character in my book.
"True peace is impossible. Only an illusion of
peace exists in the superficial calm of our lives.."

There is no point in arguing with an idiot. They will just drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.
Silent-Lake

Post by Silent-Lake »

As one of the many few Alanis lovers, I say she is underestimated. She is quite good at magic especially since she is a child. She will last out almost any battle if you give her good equipment, she will be pretty useful for Support and or Offence. She is the only staff user who does not need to be in the front row for attacking (her attack isn't that bad, she gets in a x2 and x3 alot of the time) and her pale-gate magic is A despite her so-so mp, it can last throughout the battle. equip her with shield, water and pale-gate(fire or earth if you want support) runes and she'll be fine.

I also found Shabon pretty underestimated, she hits 4 times(but weak), her magic mp is so-so, but her hp is really low but she can still survive the hardest attack, just put her in the back row and she'll be great.
highwind44029

Post by highwind44029 »

Don't forget about Alanis' Precision skill, which is a rarity.

Shabon can get 6 hits in, and with three rune slots, she can be hella powered up (Fury, Double-strike, Warrior).
Dura Sinai

Post by Dura Sinai »

highwind44029 wrote:Don't forget about Alanis' Precision skill, which is a rarity.

Shabon can get 6 hits in, and with three rune slots, she can be hella powered up (Fury, Double-strike, Warrior).
But considering her strengths, precision is rather wasted on alanis. She is not particularly good with the fire spells that require the ability. Chances are you are not going to really use that rune with that caster. It's far more useful on a character like Estella with high magic (increases efficiency) as well as the precision skill (less likely to make your party go boom)

I think Alanis could be decent as she gets older but how she was designed in the third game it was as though the creators were not sure if they wanted to make her a true mage or just a support magic user.
pesmerga786

Post by pesmerga786 »

I think twaikan was underestimated. that guy was realllly stron, incrediblly strong and high hp. i loved it when he went berserk and got real strong. i always ysed him
highwind44029

Post by highwind44029 »

Dura Sinai wrote:
highwind44029 wrote:Don't forget about Alanis' Precision skill, which is a rarity.

But considering her strengths, precision is rather wasted on alanis. She is not particularly good with the fire spells that require the ability. Chances are you are not going to really use that rune with that caster. It's far more useful on a character like Estella with high magic (increases efficiency) as well as the precision skill (less likely to make your party go boom)
Alanis can also get an S in Fire Magic, and Estella does NOT have a Precision skill. The only fire spell I have Estella cast is Final Flame, and the rest is just Lightning Magic.
Dura Sinai

Post by Dura Sinai »

The problem is Fire Magic requires a high magic stat which is where ultimately Alanis fails amongst the mages as she will have fewer casting options while any spell from her will do much less damage and wi. And she is a natural B+ rank with fire which means to even get her up to an S, accessory slots must be spared to equip boosting items. With her ridiculously low HP, this is best spent on high defense items to better allow her to survive a phsyical attack or a multitarget enemy spell.

And Estella simply was one I recall of having need for something like precission. Not exactly my favorite character due to personal distaste rather than any lack of ability. I know she gets one of the other funky exclusive magic user abilities. There are a few of them where only a couple people in the entire game got.

And to be honest, she is not the only one with this scenario as much of this also applies to Rody who could have been impressive but have some severe drawbacks that makes their use in regular battle iffy at best.
Jeane fan

Post by Jeane fan »

I'm a big Queen fan, not the band, the chick. She has heavy damage skill and I give her a Killer Rune and omg, the damage that comes outta her is scary. Granted she only gets 2 hits for a very long time, but those x2 and x3 really hurts, and she gets a good attack normally. I'm biased towards her as I've had her killing a couple of bosses where she just rushes up to them with a x2 and x3 and killing them on the first turn. And absolutely brutal in wars. She could've been so much better, but she's somwhat poorly designed. She's got one of the highest Magic in the game, yet she gets really ho hum affinity with them all, only wind is semi-deent at B+, and wind magic sucks in this game. (Funeral Wind does low damage to 1 target, all other spells does massive damage to all.) And she has a horrible Viper Rune permanently attached, which is pretty much completely useless. Of course, I'm a fan of the Queen = Jillia theory, which is like gravy on an already fine character. ;)
Georg Jr.

Hmmm

Post by Georg Jr. »

I never underestimated either Borus nor Queen. After all, I managed to convert Queen in Geddoe Team's Tank... She had the worst defense during the 1st chapter, and I had to quickly boost her up (she was always the first to bite the dust. I wonder if the monsters hate women), and ended up having her actually covering Geddoe (ex: against Borus in Karaya Village)(^_^)

Borus is an integral Tank, with the nuclear blow integred. He's by far the most powerful ally of mine, if I except the Lizard Clan Members with the current 411 strength of Shiba (weapon 14). Chris's team was able to contain ALL THE ENEMY'S UNITS (Yuber's too) during Brass Castle's battle, without losing a member.

My most underestimated character is also Alanis. When you have the Viki Team you don't really need to bother about magic, the most powerful asset of Alanis. But I don't know if she'll prove useful in a near future...
Eternal

Post by Eternal »

I underestimated Lucia like what some other people said....