The next Suikoden.. gotta be harder

A place to post news and also give your ideas about the future of the Suikoden series.
Please justify all speculations with reasons why you think such an event could happen.
The_Colt

The next Suikoden.. gotta be harder

Post by The_Colt »

I think Suikoden (from I to V) are easy to play.. there's no hard boss or optional dungeon
I want the next Suikoden to be harder in terms of gameplay.. harder Boss / enemy to defeat..
whatever they do just make it harder
Tsharr

Re: The next Suikoden.. gotta be harder

Post by Tsharr »

The_Colt wrote:I think Suikoden (from I to V) are easy to play.. there's no hard boss or optional dungeon
I want the next Suikoden to be harder in terms of gameplay.. harder Boss / enemy to defeat..
There is an optional dungeon in Suikoden Tactics and Suikoden V.
The_Colt

Post by The_Colt »

Tsharr wrote:
The_Colt wrote:I think Suikoden (from I to V) are easy to play.. there's no hard boss or optional dungeon
There is an optional dungeon in Suikoden Tactics and Suikoden V.
Really? my mistakes then..

What I really want is harder difficulty
I mean almost every enemy in Suikoden V can be defeated using auto mode (WTF).. well except the boss battle but still they're hardly a challenge..
I want harder enemy / boss

I don't feel the need to level up My characters if there's no one to beat
Redheim

Post by Redheim »

There's an extra dungeon in Suikoden V? Where? I've never heard tell of it if there is.

It's probably going to be something REALLY obvious. >_>
Keep your Coins, I want Change.
Antimatzist

Post by Antimatzist »

Redheim wrote:There's an extra dungeon in Suikoden V? Where? I've never heard tell of it if there is.

It's probably going to be something REALLY obvious. >_>
The Eresh/Jeane Recruitment Sidequest?

@Topic: Well, that's the fantastic thing in uikoden: Levelling Up is NEVER a must. It's just not needed.
And if you want a challenge, bring the worst Characters possible into Battle(which might be cool sometimes..) The 5 Blacksmiths in S I(ok, you can't bring them all into the last Dungeon..), the 5 Squirrels in S II, The % dogs in S III(eben though I don't know how good they actually are..) or bring Gengen, Tuta, Freed, Kinnison or any other mediocre character with you.

Or never forge your weapons. This could provide extra difficulties.

And as far as I remember, Final Fantasy X was way easier than every Suikoden, but they kinda balanced it by creating a super-duper-mega hard extra boss. but I don't think that this is too convenient....
Mio
Banned User

Post by Mio »

let's just say that Suikoden is not your stereotypical lvl 99 game (im not talking about FF series here *wink*)

the series is not easy to play, i found Suikoden IV's Ruins of Obel pretty tough (on both times)

same as with the Ruins of Obel in Tactics

also, te first time i played Suiko II, i found the Abomination quite the abomination as i find myself losing to it all the time

te last trinity battle in Suiko III was extremely difficult if you don't train the characters you bring with you (like me who ended up with one person standing)

Suikoden V was not as hard for it have the most amazing fighters and powerups...

unless you spend enough time in each dungeon, you'll find yourself in a tight position in every boss fight

which in my book does not mean an easy "walk in the park" game you're talking about
VinceValentine

Post by VinceValentine »

I'm sure that runes, armour, and blacksmith upgrades matter the most rather than levels in this game and I agree theres not many challenges in this game compared to a lot of others.
No Cave of Trials like in FFIV, V, VI, or Star Ocean: The second story, no none of that.

All the best armour can be obtained via the armoury whereas most other RPG's it can only be found in a very hard optional dungeon...

Nothing was really a challenge in all the games in the series.

I did however, had trouble with the Wind Rincar in SIII but once I got the jist of taking out the water rune first it became from being insanely hard to a complete pushover.

I also had trouble with the Dragon Zombie in SI, Neclord in SII gave me a little trouble but nothing extremely challenging and aside from a few major battles in SIII like in Thomas' chapter, the series isnt challenging at all.

But actually the real challenge is getting all 108 SoD's but even that wasn't hard,
it was harder in SV but by your second playthrough you can have them all easily if you paid attention to your mistakes in the first playthrough.
Knowing others is intelligence;
knowing the self is enlightenment.
Conquering others is power;
conquering the self is strength.
lifesucksdie

Post by lifesucksdie »

Also. You can't really say that these games aren't hard if you're using a guide to recruit characters... Which I'm assuming you're doing. Yeah sure this game isn't too difficult through a straight line perspective, but it's all the side stuff and the fact you can kill your characters by accident FOREVER that make it a bit interesting.

/rant
blahblahblah.
Paler than Moon

Post by Paler than Moon »

I think Suikoden is pretty hard, the first time you play it. I, too, found Suiko 2's Abomination was hard to fight. But after I discovered the Matilda Glitch, Suiko 2 is very easy.

And for Suiko 3, some boss are hard to fight unless you figure out the right way. For example, the Water Dragon.

Sure, it's not like the FF series where you have some almost unbeatable boss (like in FF7 for example *rants*). I would like the next Suikoden to be more challenging by adding sidequests. I always love lots and lots of sidequest, things you don;t really have to do to finish the game but you love to do anyway. This way, people who doesn't like it can skip the sidequests and move on while people who does can finish them. For example, I like the subquests in Tales of Eternia.
"If only..."
But thou art wind!
Do not scream:
thy fragrance deafens.
Redheim

Post by Redheim »

I for one thought Suikoden3 was the hardest. I had alot of trouble on the last boss. And fighting all those monsters at the same time... I can't remember what that place is called.
Keep your Coins, I want Change.
VinceValentine

Post by VinceValentine »

It's the Ceremonial Site.
Paler than Moon wrote: I would like the next Suikoden to be more challenging by adding sidequests.
I'm with you there, if its anything, thats what Suikoden really lacks. I don't really understand them having minigames but not any sidequests. I guess the recruiting of the SOD's could be sidequests because its optional and you dont have to do it, you could just stick with the initial people you start with and the automatic recruits, but still going on quests that are totally unrelated to the SOD's would make it better since you could do things besides progressing through the story.
Knowing others is intelligence;
knowing the self is enlightenment.
Conquering others is power;
conquering the self is strength.
Paler than Moon

Post by Paler than Moon »

But I don't want too many sidequests for recruiting SoD! Why? Because there are people who want to get all 108 SoD in order to achieve the best ending (seeing that usually Suikoden's best ending can only be achieved if you recruited all 108 SoD) but are lazy to do the sidequest.

But if the sidequests are easy and fun then it's okay by me. For example, I like Futch SQ in Suiko 2 but I hate Gordon's trading SQ (if you can call it SQ). SQ like Clive's is also fun to do since it has a story plot of its own.
"If only..."
But thou art wind!
Do not scream:
thy fragrance deafens.
eternal_sins

Post by eternal_sins »

First try one Luca Blight and Beast Rune (DAMN Hard!)
Suikoden 3. . .actually I never complete the game. . for some reason, Sarah is giving me hell. . .
There is an optional boss in Suikoden 4 right? Was it the crab??? Also the Octoipus thing was giving me some trouble. .
I don't have difficulties on suikoden 1
SUIKODEN 5!! There is hard one but I can't seems to think of any. . .
Memori cinta berbunga
Pun menghinggap di ingatan
Seperti sang merpati di dahan
Puas sudah ku berusha
Ku melupakan segalanya
Namun senyum mu masih... ada...

-Merpati

Sang By: Hady Mirza
Winner Of Singapore Idol 2
www.hady-mirza.com
Antimatzist

Post by Antimatzist »

Paler than Moon wrote:But I don't want too many sidequests for recruiting SoD! Why? Because there are people who want to get all 108 SoD in order to achieve the best ending (seeing that usually Suikoden's best ending can only be achieved if you recruited all 108 SoD) but are lazy to do the sidequest.

But if the sidequests are easy and fun then it's okay by me. For example, I like Futch SQ in Suiko 2 but I hate Gordon's trading SQ (if you can call it SQ). SQ like Clive's is also fun to do since it has a story plot of its own.
I don't want easy, short sidequests. Recruiting all stars should fell like an achievement... of course, they should be substantial as well. I want to learn about the characters...
Mio
Banned User

Post by Mio »

VinceValentine wrote: Nothing was really a challenge in all the games in the series.

I did however, had trouble with the Wind Rincar in SIII but once I got the jist of taking out the water rune first it became from being insanely hard to a complete pushover.

I also had trouble with the Dragon Zombie in SI, Neclord in SII gave me a little trouble but nothing extremely challenging and aside from a few major battles in SIII like in Thomas' chapter, the series isnt challenging at all.

But actually the real challenge is getting all 108 SoD's but even that wasn't hard,
it was harder in SV but by your second playthrough you can have them all easily if you paid attention to your mistakes in the first playthrough.
geez talk about the most paradoxical statement of all time

make up your damn mind

the series definitely ain't easy if it requires you to spend decent amount of time in each dungeon you face

i think what you really want is more gameplay time with suikoden