Was HUgo the true flame champion

Ask questions about the personality and backstory of the multitude of characters in the Suikoden series.
executorofbalance

Re: Was HUgo the true flame champion

Post by executorofbalance »

Chaco wrote:MAJOR SPOILER ALERT in the following topic.

I have not seen any topics talking about this so I'm going to post one now.

The question I have is "Is Hugo the True Canon Flame Champion". There has been lots of speculation but no real answers.

I think the answer is yes for reasons that are simple however I will also provide reasons that he may not be.

First reasons that he is
If you compare him to the other 4 heros (Suikoden 1, 2, 4, 5) he is the most similar.
1) He is young (Around 16 yerars old)
2) He was exiled from his home just like the others
3) Hugos story with the three runs makes most sence. Geddoe gets the True Lighting Rune which he had to begin with and Chris gets the True Water Rune which her Father had and the True Fire Rune was placed in his land.

Reasons he isn't
1) Star of destiny 9 the Tenei: Heroic Star is always the game heros best friend in this case this person is Yuili who is one of Snowes friends, although in Suikoden 2 it was Sierra Mikain who wasn't Rious best friend.
2) There may be no Canon answer to my question, it's left to the players imagination

This is all I have right now. I have a feeling a topic like this has been made but as I said I never found it so let' start a new one here.

I believe he was the one you were supposed to pick to bear the True Fire. Chris should bear her father's rune, Geddoe already bore the True Lightning...BUT...Chris actually has better fire magic stats than Hugo and better than her water stats.
"Even if I close my eyes, the world will not dissapear."
Chaco

Post by Chaco »

I believe he was the one you were supposed to pick to bear the True Fire. Chris should bear her father's rune, Geddoe already bore the True Lightning...BUT...Chris actually has better fire magic stats than Hugo and better than her water stats.
However you can level up Hugo's Fire status from the begining, as well Chris has worse lighting then Geddoe.
These wings arn't just for show you know!
-Chaco
KFCrispy
Global Admin

Post by KFCrispy »

what are you talking about? Chris' max Fire magic skill is C, while Hugo's is B. The best Fire magic user is actually Geddoe, at B+. The magic skills correlate more to the character than who was supposed to be the FC. Geddoe is just great with magic, while Chris is poor with magic.. Hugo is best with Wind and Earth magic because it characterizes Karayans well, and Chris is best with Water magic because of her father. Geddoe is great with Lightning because he's been with the True Lightning Rune for so long, but he is also highly trained in magic in general, explaining his B+ for all other elements and it also explains why he has the rare Magic Repel skill.

Konami obviously sculpted Hugo to be the canon Flame Champion, from making him similar to past Tenkais as well as putting him in the opening against the Fire Dragon (the True Fire Rune's test) and making him the default choice when selecting your FC. Unless the manga actually made someone else the Flame Champion, i don't see how you can argue otherwise.
Paler than Moon

Post by Paler than Moon »

Hugo as FC makes the most sense...end of story. However he lacks the leadership quality (story plot's fault not the character's fault). Chris makes a better general that inspires people but she probably wouldn't lead the grasslanders very well. Hugo however, even though he's a Karayan never officially participated in zexen vs karayan war, no one really has something against him. Chris, being a general, had killed grasslanders in battles. If I was a grasslander, there would still be bitter feelings in my heart when I follow her.

And Geddoe, being quiet and all, I don''t think he'd make a good leader that inspires people (I know all the other tenkai before couldn't even speak but that's Konami's fault)...
"If only..."
But thou art wind!
Do not scream:
thy fragrance deafens.
Chaco

Post by Chaco »

And Geddoe, being quiet and all, I don''t think he'd make a good leader that inspires people (I know all the other tenkai before couldn't even speak but that's Konami's fault)...
That's untrue they CAN speak they just don't speak often, and every time they do it's the players decition what they say, however I do remember one special war battle in Suikoden 1 where the hero said something before charging, and Riou said some stuff in that flashback with him and Jowy in the shrine. However, they didn't speak for themselves enough to develope much character.
These wings arn't just for show you know!
-Chaco