Too many port/remakes of early Final Fantasy games?

A forum for non-Suikoden related topics.
EternalOnslaught

Too many port/remakes of early Final Fantasy games?

Post by EternalOnslaught »

If this topic exists somewhere else, then lock it.

But is anyone else getting tired of all the ports and remakes? Seems like Final Fantasy 1 is on the majority of the mainstream consoles. Your comments will be appreciated =)
Sandalphon - Senso Suikoden
Michael Easton

Re: Too many port/remakes of early Final Fantasy games?

Post by Michael Easton »

I brought this up briefly in another thread, but I agree with you: Square-Enix are porting the early FF games to just about every console going and I just don't see the point (beyond the obvious). After all, it's not like they're remaking the game from the ground up, like Final Fantasy III for the DS.
warmaster670

Post by warmaster670 »

at least with the first 2 games they have updated them to have better graphics, and a few other things, and with 4 5 and 6 i think they at least added something, but i do think there doing it way to much
LanceHeart

Post by LanceHeart »

Well, from an economical point of view, this really makes sense.

Every time they re-release the first two games, they sell quite well on whatever system it happens to be appear on. Thing is, between porting an especially simple game (with slight touch-ups) and building a massive multi-million-dollar budget game, the simple port gives you quick and easy money to fund other stuff.

Anyway, I won't agree with the first two games being everywhere. The first port was for the Wonderswan Color, a system that never really caught on in Japan. The second was for the PS1, which was basically the WSC port, which was a nice change. The third was for the GBA, the second handheld to get the game (but the first one that really mattered) and now the two games are on the PSP, which almost makes no sense.

In earnest, I really don't mind. Why? Because so long as they keep redoing the old games, people will have a chance to play what us "old people" considered RPGs back then.

On a side note, they're remaking FF4 with the FF3DS engine. If there's one thing I'm totally against, it's the remakes. Especially buggy ones like FF3DS, where I basically got stuck in walls quite a bit (I stick to walls because I don't use the stylus)
Formerly known as: Gothann
wolverine81

Post by wolverine81 »

I like the fact that they are releasing FF1 and FF2 on PSP because as of right now there aren't any good RPG's on PSP that I can find and even though I own those two games on every console that I have I never get tired of them. If anyone know of any good RPG's on PSP let me know what is available. I wish they would have released Suikoden 1 & 2 on the PSP here in america like they did in Japan.
Sniper_Zegai

Post by Sniper_Zegai »

I have a Nintendo DS and play FF3, and am happy with all the remakes. If you prefer the older versions then thats fine but I dont see the problem with remaking games that are in demand and otherwise unavailable. And besides they would'nt be re-released if they were'nt in demand anyway.
PSX Emulator Questions are here, if you have problems. Ask and hopefully I can help. Formerly known as Seifer by the way.
patapi
Forum Moderator

Post by patapi »

Now if only Konami would follow their footsteps and port/remake Suikoden titles on every consoles and handhelds imaginable.

Oh, wait. As fans, some of us would enjoy that actually.

The same goes to fans of SquareEnix products, really. If you are not, then let's go and find non-port/remake titles to play instead.
warmaster670

Post by warmaster670 »

patapi wrote:Now if only Konami would follow their footsteps and port/remake Suikoden titles on every consoles and handhelds imaginable.

Oh, wait. As fans, some of us would enjoy that actually.

The same goes to fans of SquareEnix products, really. If you are not, then let's go and find non-port/remake titles to play instead.
what we need is a suikoden collection, shouldnt be too hard on the ps3, have 1-5+tactics, and it could potentialy fit all on one disc aswell.

id pay $60 for 6 good quality RPGs
LanceHeart

Post by LanceHeart »

Considering how badly the PS3 is doing, I'd much prefer to seeing the Suikoden 1 + 2 collection released on the PSP and a port of Suikoden 3 (maybe 4) on it, too. Why? Because they don't have to work on the first two games again, just reprint it. As for the latter suggestion, a bit of code optimization and 3D model/texture downgrades would be enough to make Suikoden 3 play smoothly on the PSP. Add to that the possibility of importing the Suikoden 1 + 2 saves and you've got yourself something decent and that extra little nudge in terms of "features" you can advertise for the game.
patapi
Forum Moderator

Post by patapi »

LanceHeart wrote:Considering how badly the PS3 is doing, I'd much prefer to seeing the Suikoden 1 + 2 collection released on the PSP
Done deal. The bundle was released in Japan quite a while back.

Unfortunately, the non-Japan branch decided that it wasn't a good investment to localise it elsewhere.
Occam Arkitect

Post by Occam Arkitect »

I don't mind the FF games being released every now and then with ports and remakes, maybe because it doesn't really bug me even if it becomes more and more popular.
Pollensalta

Post by Pollensalta »

Yeah, it's ridiculous. They're re-doing FF4 AGAIN. They want to do it like FF3: DS which is the WORST GAME EVER.

Keep it classic, the way it was.
Purr.
LanceHeart

Post by LanceHeart »

patapi wrote:
LanceHeart wrote:Considering how badly the PS3 is doing, I'd much prefer to seeing the Suikoden 1 + 2 collection released on the PSP
Done deal. The bundle was released in Japan quite a while back.

Unfortunately, the non-Japan branch decided that it wasn't a good investment to localise it elsewhere.
You didn't read the line that immediately follows that one, I take it. I said that all they have to do is reprint the combo, especially since the system is doing a bit better now than it was before.

Also: On the note of the FF4 remake, I that it looks even worse than the FF3 remake. The proportions are now blown out of the water and the character models follow the original Amano art way too closely (everyone looks like an anorexic).
Michael Easton

Post by Michael Easton »

Pollensalta wrote:They want to do it like FF3: DS which is the WORST GAME EVER.
I take it you've never played Superman on the Nintendo 64? *shudders*
Zeikcied

Post by Zeikcied »

LanceHeart wrote:Considering how badly the PS3 is doing, I'd much prefer to seeing the Suikoden 1 + 2 collection released on the PSP and a port of Suikoden 3 (maybe 4) on it, too. Why? Because they don't have to work on the first two games again, just reprint it. As for the latter suggestion, a bit of code optimization and 3D model/texture downgrades would be enough to make Suikoden 3 play smoothly on the PSP. Add to that the possibility of importing the Suikoden 1 + 2 saves and you've got yourself something decent and that extra little nudge in terms of "features" you can advertise for the game.
I don't think the PS3 is doing that bad. It could be a lot worse.

But, they wouldn't have to do much work to bring them to the PS3. A lot less work than it would take to bring Suikoden III to the PSP. They could just write a game-specific emulator for each game, to intercept PS1/2 CPU and GPU calls and redirect them to the PS3 equivalent. Or somehow find a way to make the PS3 play the games using the system's own emulation software/hardware. But I don't know how exactly that stuff works.

Another option would be the PlayStation Store. They could release the games in a digital format, and let the PS3 take care of it. They have PS1 game downloads playable on PS3, so that would be easy enough to put the first two games up there. The PS2 games, however, would definitely need a retail release in disc format. I would not want to download a 2-4 Gig PS2 game on my PS3. Too large.

As for Final Fantasy, I want Square to put all Final Fantasy games, 1 through 12, excluding 11 (for obvious reasons) and X-2, on one PS3 disc. With FF1, 2, and 3 having graphic upgrades to put them on par with the 16-bit games, but not like the 3D FF3 on DS. I'm sure that all the games will fit on one Blu-Ray disc, though they may need a dual layer disc. They could even put FF1-6 on the PlayStation Store, XBox Live Arcade, and/or Wii Virtual Console.

I'd say that the latter of those options (1-6 on digital distribution) is most likely. But, I'd rather see one big combination release with all the games in one package.