Characters you wish you could have played as

Ask questions about the personality and backstory of the multitude of characters in the Suikoden series.
snakebite105

Re: Characters you wish you could have played as

Post by snakebite105 »

I dont follow what the actual years are or the DOBs of people. I assumed because the rune gives you imortality he was older.

But if Melville from S3 can be in it then why not Luc.

I would have perfered a child over yet another person with a mysterious backround that will never be developed like Pesmerga, Jeane, Viki and so many.
I'm a fan but I'm also a critic. Without preasure to improve stagnation is the future. Do not accept lackluster because of your enjoyment of the overall picture. Criticism is needed for improvement to be made.
Blutiger Engel

Post by Blutiger Engel »

Melville is a bit older than 4-5, though, but I do agree that there are too many child characters.

As for Luc, Leknaat may not have even rescued him from Hikusaak yet at the time of Suikoden V. According to the manga of Suikoden III (which isn't canon, but all we really have to go on) Luc and Sasarai were born as clones of Hikusaak and Sasarai was "chosen" because he was born synchronized with the True Earth Rune while Luc's True Wind Rune was tangled in his heart and would later kill him. He was thrown into a cell of sorts and neglected until a better body for the True Wind Rune came along (which didn't happen). He was then rescued from that cell by Leknaat while still a small child, however if doesn't say at what age.
Vextor
Global Admin

Post by Vextor »

Luc was rescued from Harmonia 10 years before Suikoden II's time, so that'd be back in the year 450.
Jeremiah Ecks

Post by Jeremiah Ecks »

The point is that no matter what age or position Luc was in, it's very clear in Suiko I that Luc is a) a very young minor and b) inexperienced to wars. And when he goes all Emperor Palpatine in III, it's because of the previous two wars he was involved with, not three. Yeah, he could have ignored all sorts of things but it just doesn't seem to me to be something that Leknaat would have involved him in.

And this is the fact that his age notwithstanding. :wink: He just really is too young!

Also, you get the feeling that Leknaat really rarely involves herself with the wars before Tir comes along? I mean, in IV she's only really, really there with the Ted stuff - she appears a brief twice, right? And in V she appears because of Zerase and I think Lyon and that's it - let's just say I've forgotten, so it's pretty much forgettable, yeah? By the time I comes she's almost a Star of Destiny! She's exceptionally involved, right from the start, through to the 'death' of ******, the final battle, sending Luc... she's all over the place frankly. I suppose if, and it's a big if, she somehow 'sent' Zerase to be involved with the Falenan conflict, it could be that she was disappointed in some way by how she handled it - maybe stuff with Sialeeds, so maybe Leknaat had to take a more hands on approach down the line.

This explains further no presence of Luc in V, even if he were old enough - she's got Zerase to do stuff in V, but by I she becomes more hands on, whilst retaining the presence of an apprentice who can be taught 'stuff' in Luc.

Goodness knows where the heck Zerase goes. Dies and gets reborn as Sarai? :P

-Jeremiah Ecks,
who really thinks that Zerase is Vicki after she time travels into an alternate reality where Jelly Babies are murderous sentient creatures and they lop off Tom Baker's head, and Vicki goes crazy, comes back to the true Suiko reality and because she's now crazy, she looks all dark and sane because everybody else in the universe who is sane is crazy - I mean, look at Milich!
"Everything is something, but nothing is everything."
Blutiger Engel

Post by Blutiger Engel »

Jeremiah Ecks wrote:The point is that no matter what age or position Luc was in, it's very clear in Suiko I that Luc is a) a very young minor and b) inexperienced to wars. And when he goes all Emperor Palpatine in III, it's because of the previous two wars he was involved with, not three.
Ah, I didn't even think of the continuity issues with III. Yeah, that makes the most sense.

Speaking of Leknaat, she should be a playable character at this point. We got Viki and Jeane to be playable, now give us Leknaat! I'd love to kick some ass as a blind woman.
snakebite105

Post by snakebite105 »

I don't remember how Jeane doesn in combat in 4 and 5 but Viki is a bad character.
I'm a fan but I'm also a critic. Without preasure to improve stagnation is the future. Do not accept lackluster because of your enjoyment of the overall picture. Criticism is needed for improvement to be made.
suiko2fan2
Guide Writer

Post by suiko2fan2 »

Jeane isnt that great of a battle either, beyond her prodigious magic skill in Suiko 4 or 5, her attacks, defense and other skills leave much to be "desire". However, why fans use her in battle is for obviously other "desires" i would suspect. I personally hardly ever used her in 4. (she was very useful in the major navel battles, but thats it). In 5, you can actually put in the back, where it is safer (stupid 4 line up limitations) for health, so she can useful in that manor for doing other powerful combo spells with other magicans. Again her overall skills a bit weak as compared to say Zerse.

Personally i would have loved to play as jowy blight for a while in 2. See the game through his for a while. Get Seed and Culgan, or maybe even Luca or Hans in your party, which would have been cool.

That or maybe Serria or something would also be cool
I will establish one mighty nation in this land. A single, powerful nation, born of force and wielding force. That is the one and only way of freeing this land from war.

Best Suiko FanFic:
www.fanfiction.net/s/5194891/1/The-Puni ... of-the-Sun
Black Knight Yuber

Post by Black Knight Yuber »

Suikoden

Teo McDohl - He would of made a great early game instructor you'd get to use. Teaching you battle tactics, equiptment, victory of battle etc. Of course they'd get the dreaded Father & Son unite attack which would be the last time you could play as him. A very popular choice and you couldn't play as him for even a brief time.

Joshua - Even though he's recruitable just getting the chance to play as the former bearer of the Dragon Rune would of been sweet. Witnessing the Dragon Rune and what moves it could do would of been a sight to see (possibly various summons.)

Notables: Ain Gide

Suikoden II

Solon Jhee - I personally never cared for him, but i guess some people would of loved the oppurtunity to play as Jhee.

Gilbert - When I first played this game I didn't know how to recruit him, but when I did I wanted to play as him. Much to my dismay you couldn't :? , however in war battles you could.

Elza - This was a big miss in my book. She had a nice backstory to her and yet you couldn't get the female gunner. Atleast an optional recruit like Muka, finish her side quest and she'd side with you only because of Clive. Then after the war they'd continue chasing each other down.

I'll get back with others since my computer is freaking out.
Deathrace King
suiko2fan2
Guide Writer

Post by suiko2fan2 »

Black Knight Yuber wrote:Suikoden

Elza - This was a big miss in my book. She had a nice backstory to her and yet you couldn't get the female gunner. Atleast an optional recruit like Muka, finish her side quest and she'd side with you only because of Clive. Then after the war they'd continue chasing each other down.

I'll get back with others since my computer is freaking out.

agreed on the miss out on Elza that would have be cool!
I will establish one mighty nation in this land. A single, powerful nation, born of force and wielding force. That is the one and only way of freeing this land from war.

Best Suiko FanFic:
www.fanfiction.net/s/5194891/1/The-Puni ... of-the-Sun
SuiDOKEN

Post by SuiDOKEN »

When I first played Suikoden 1 & 2(rented them both at the same time), I always thought that EVERYONE that had a picture would be recruitable. I was then disappointed that Teo McDohl was not recruitable. :( Another I would've liked to recruit was Windy!

After playing Suikoden 5 and see how the Unite Magic system was greatly improved, it would be very neat to see Windy and Leknaat unite their (Front and Back)Gate runes. =]
conan

Post by conan »

i dont think ferid was a better swordsman than georg. he only reminded georg of his cockiness in battle at 1 point and brought him down 2 earth. georg is prolly the best swordsman along wit luca blight and maybe yuber or chris. but id love 2 b able 2 use elza or teo.
Jeremiah Ecks

Post by Jeremiah Ecks »

conan wrote:i dont think ferid was a better swordsman than georg. he only reminded georg of his cockiness in battle at 1 point and brought him down 2 earth. georg is prolly the best swordsman along wit luca blight and maybe yuber or chris. but id love 2 b able 2 use elza or teo.
One of those 'better' statements. Define 'better'. Skilled? Probably Ferid. Charismatically? Ferid. Strength? Clearly Georg. Stamina? Possibly Georg again. Killer instinct? Who do you think? We'll never know which of the two was 'better' and each could probably beat the other if the right circumstances were placed against them. Frankly, all we know about Ferid is his reputation, which may or may not be exaggerated. We do, however, have first hand evidence of Georg's badassery. Anything else is pure speculation. I do happen to think that Ferid would generally beat Georg, but I don't think that makes him 'better' generally.

Luca Blight, on the other hand... he is insanely powerful and I don't think there is much debate there. Yuber? Who knows, is he really that beastly? Or is Chris even? She's good but not that good, not on the level of Ferid, Georg or Luca. And if you're going to put Yuber into the mix, why not the Pesmerga?

Besides which of going off of topic... Teo and Elza don't do it for me. I adore their characters, especially Elza, but I wonder if playing both would have cheapened their coolness, know what I mean? I've never wanted to play them per se just as I've never wanted to play Barbarossa, Luca or Neclord. Not really.

-Jeremiah Ecks,
who probably has contradicted himself on many occasions. :mrgreen:
"Everything is something, but nothing is everything."
conan

Post by conan »

i see where your comin from on the playing as a character thing. i remember when i 1st played part II, I couldnt wait 2 use shin when he joined, but he was usually the 1st one 2 die in battles, until i figured out he cant survive without fire emblems cuz of his magic defense, and most enemies attack fire. that would definitely apply to luca, barbarossa, or maybe teo, but i dont think it would apply 2 elza, since having a more powerful clive would never undermine a fighter's credibilty. the thing with what you say about georg bein badass is that thats gameplay wise, which isnt always related to the strength of a character storyline wise. 4 example, the main characters in part I and II are prolly the most statistically powerful characters in their games, but i think its safe to say that georg is a better fighter than them. I do believe Luca's strength was a little exaggerated, tho he is extremely powerful, but judging by character history i would guess that georg is the better swordsmen, but im not sure if luca had other powers. i didnt play part V since the month it was released, but from my memory of ferid it seemed like he was a good swordsman, and a better friend of georg, who understood georg's superior capabilties on the field and his character so he hired him, but not the better swordsmen.
conan

Post by conan »

pesmerga is a lame. he says 2 lines in 2 games and wears black armor, and never catches or confronts yuber. he may be strong, but its easy 4 me 2 forget he exists. yuber as a swordsman could maybe be the best, since even viktor was afraid 2 directly approach him, and the fact that he respected chris enuff 2 want 2 battle her in part III, shows that out of human characters chris is easily one of the best. once again gameplay-wise, geddoe and hugo are better, but story-wise chris is the most respected when it comes 2 swordsmanship. shes maybe a little ways 2 go 2 reach luca or georg, but i wouldnt say that shes not great.
Mrs. Luca Blight

Post by Mrs. Luca Blight »

Ted (I wouldn't mind playing his 300 year journey), Odessa (the early days of the Liberation Army), Jowy (the whole suiko 2 in his POV!)
Currently making Suikoden fan-fict manga!!!