How did you get hooked......on Suikoden?

A forum for all general Suikoden related topics.
Pollensalta

Post by Pollensalta »

Saw a good review in a gamepro magazine. It was like the 3rd RPG I ever played (after Super Mario RPG and FF7.)
Purr.
Queens Knight

Post by Queens Knight »

Rented the first one from a Willow Video, wasn't expecting much and I got a lot more enjoyment than I thought I would get out of it.

Rented the second one when it first came out, was an instant classic for me and I have been hooked on Suiko since.

Off topic, but same for me Pollensalta, Super Mario RPG and FF7 were like the first RPG's i played before Suikoden, SMRPGLotSS awsome RPG.
bench2hotty

Post by bench2hotty »

actually I played 2 first cause i realy liked rpg games that i buy any rpg available in the store,I I could'nt buy suikoden 1 because it was'nt available that time since it was just 2004. And then my friend told me that there is a suikoden 3 in the ps2 and I asked my parents for one. After playing 3 I played 4 and then 2 years ago I had a classmate that has a copy of suikoden1 and I immediately borrowed it. although he forgot that he let me borrow it I still havent given it back until now and a year after playing suikoden 1 suikoden 5 was released and that's why I was hooked with the series.
I look better in black armor and you know it!
The Black Knight

Post by The Black Knight »

It seems to be a common thread that no one thought much of the game when the first bought it, or were given the game by a friend. My story is a bit different, however.

I started playing Suikoden five years ago. I was about nine years old, so I didn't really understand much. In fact, I'm still learning things as I play them five years later. Anyway, back on topic, my brother was given the first one a few years after it came out by his friend. So, he played it and I would watch him. He wouldn't let me play it....yet. A few years past, he played Suikoden II, I watched, and finally, he let me play Suikoden I. I beat it with all the 108 stars (he made me), and then I played his friend's copy of Suikoden II. And the rest is history.

I guess it was more of watching my brother play the first one which made me like them so much. However, actually playing the games sealed the deal. Now, in the present, I own all the games (save the Gaidens), and I recently lent my copy of Suikoden V out to my friend -- I'm passing on the lineage of the Suikoden Series.
What the Futch!!!!

Vagueness is my specialty.
Jodan

Post by Jodan »

i played 3 first
i saw in on the used shelf and said this should be fun and im so addicted its not funny
AteTrack

Post by AteTrack »

i got a copy of ken griffey's pro baseball for game boy color for xmas one year. i already had it, so i returned it and bought suikoden 2. after xmas break was over i got really sick, so didn't go to school for another week. i put in a lot of work with suikoden 2 (and final fantasy 6, but that's another story) and then i borrowed the first one and loved it too. and the rest they say is history.
Valixian

Post by Valixian »

this is my story hehehehhe......
it was summer vacation when i first played suikoden 2, my cousin has a renting station for those who want to play PS on a hourly basis. I went there too sometimes, but everytime I went there I saw they play suikoden2 and I was very curious then I ask my cousin why they always play that game (suikoden2) I said is that a game? I always saw a dialogue box how can you play that...... and then my cousin answer me why dont you play to urself to know why? and thats the beginning of playing suikoden series. After i finish suikoden2 i went to game shop to buy suikoden1 unfortunately it is out of stock so Iwent home and wait for another month. until now I love to play suikoden..... I hope that suikoden 6 will be realease in PS2 not in PS3 coz I dont have money now to buy PS3 :cry:
"Real Knowledge is to know the innocence of everyone"
EternalOnslaught

Post by EternalOnslaught »

At the time, I was deeply in the RPG scene, I was playing them left from right. I first got into Suikoden II by reading a small preview, I thought nothing of it at first. This was about 6-7 years ago. However, I occasionaly visit the pawn shop around town, and I happened to found a copy for $15, and ofcourse I got it and enjoyed every bit of it. I later got Suikoden 1 about 3 months later at Funcoland(nowadays gamestop) and got a brand new copy of it. That's how it started, I didn't really get into the entire storyline until 3 came out. Among Suikoden 2, it was probably on my top 5 PS1 RPGs...lets see, 1. Suikoden 2, 2. Star Ocean 2, 3. Breath of Fire 3, 4. Thousand Arms, 5. Persona 2: Eternal Punishment...

Yep it was my favorite, I instantly came addictive to the storyline and especially the music.
Sandalphon - Senso Suikoden
suikodenherodrake

Post by suikodenherodrake »

It was near the end of 2000 when I got hooked. I was at Hollywood Video and all their PSX games were disappearing. I saw Suikoden, it didn't have its original cover, and I wonder what the heck it was. I rented it, played it, and liked it. Long live ze Ted, btw.
Check out my Suikoden fic: Freiheit
WARNING: Season 1 may cause head-splodies.
R.I.P. Todd Davis
3-21-88 - 2-25-07
hashin

Post by hashin »

I was a fighting/action gamer till 2000 when RPGs gone wild, so i solved to try one of "those" games.
Bought a copy of Wild Arms 2, couldn't stand those horrible 3D graphics.
Rented that obscure with cute cover Suikoden II and loved it. The rest is story :*
Hachifusa

Post by Hachifusa »

Suikoden was my first RPG game I ever played. I was 9 years old I wanted something new from my PSX instead of gran turismo. Suikoden was just a random choice in the rental store. Lol I remembered I got so stuck with the dragon zombie, it took me hours to kill it, i did suikoden couple days ago and dargon zombie was piece of cake, didnt die, around 5 min to kill him and he was finito.

I have done all the suikoden games and its the best rpg serie ever,my opionion, suikoden gets me so deeply hooked, its magic, , i dont have words, the plot, battle system, reqruiting characters, everything. Im starting all over now because I didnt finish the stars not in a single suikoden game, always missed 2-8 char. Everyone start all over and enjoy every second of these masterpieces. Restore the joy u had for the first time u played Suikoden:D
Pokerface

Post by Pokerface »

Suikoden was the first RPG on playstation 1 isn't it? Well as an RPG Fan you MUST purchase it. Well after playing the first mission in Gregminster I wanted to know the whole Story. But..... WHO THE HELL thought it would become a civil war??? Man... this was exactly the type of game I always wanted to have. Well since then I am addicted to Suikoden. A great game must have a great story with all kinds of things. And I love medieval games.
Mess with the best, die like the rest!
http://www.suikoden3.de
Quincy

Post by Quincy »

How did I get hooked?

That's easy, I just made sure to cooperate my drug taking sessions with associated Suikoden gameplay. Then instead of getting the munchies I had this uncontrollable urge for Suikoden...

In honesty I just played it and liked it nothing fancy about my addiction. I remember getting pumped for Suikoden II's release and when it hit shelves it was mine in short order. Same goes for III, IV, and V though my friend and fellow enthusiast got Tactics for me as a birthday present.
KennethMichaels

Post by KennethMichaels »

I was waiting for Final Fantasy IV ( They weren't sure if they were going to call it that or its real number VII at the time.) to be released.

So Wild Arms and Suikoden were out first. I played them and enjoyed them.
kharaa

Post by kharaa »

Oh.. back many moons! my friend had(and still does) a working copy of Suiko 1 and 2, I grew up playing old school Final Fantasy, and my first RPG was Phantasy Star 2

So of course I was hooked on RPGs! so i'm sitting at his house, and looking through his games, and he had all sorts of rpgs for the PSX, Breath of Fire, Dragon Warrior, and Suikoden.. he told me I just HAD to play suikoden, and I was rather skepticle, after being spoiled by FF7, and other 3d RPG's i thought "why would I go back and play some 2D rpg?" Well.. i made it through the game, and realized how stupid I was, instantly I was hooked,

borrowed Number 2 from him, and beat it. and from there on it just went downhill for me. =( now they tie for my second favorite RPG series.