Insects in Food

A forum for non-Suikoden related topics.
dragonmasterx
Elite Member

Insects in Food

Post by dragonmasterx »

Source
But the real souvenirs aren’t the photos, but rather, the pastries I bought, but after returning to Japan, I took a closer look in the bag and noticed a small insect was packaged with it, so I didn’t bring it along.
On that note, what do YOU do when you find insects in your food? I think most of us would simply not eat the food, but suppose you find the insect in one of the dishes while eating at a restaurant. Do you make a big deal out of it and demand a refund? I've heard of stories where the waiters/waitresses will respond "oh that? It's not an insect. *stuffs it in mouth* See?"

How about hair in the food?
son_michael

Post by son_michael »

I would deffinetly NOT eat the insect and I would DEMAND my meal would be changed and that it would be free OTHERWISE ill tell everyone I know...NOT to come to this restaurant AND ill get the board of health to look into it

wouldn't you say thats the right course of action?
warmaster670

Post by warmaster670 »

if there was a hair or bug in my food, i would not eat it, and would complain.

now, if it was a hair at my own house, i would just pick it out, but since it would be an unknown hair, who knows whats in it.
Angelis_Taleria
Elite Member

Post by Angelis_Taleria »

The health board you say? Legally, it's ok for there to be a certain amount of foreign objects in your food, 4% to be exact so unless you just found a whole dead rat in your salad, the board of health really isn't going to do anything about your meager request.

Well, on the subject of what I would do if I were to find such a thing in my food, I wouldn't be eating at a place with such things, but if I were to find such a thing in my food then I'd never go back. Plain and simple....
I hope everything is going delicious.
Red Killey
Elite Member

Post by Red Killey »

To me, it depends on where/what I eat. If I'm eating like $4 cheap meal in half-dodgy place, I wouldn't really be bothered with "hygiene". But if I'm having a meal in a decent-nice restaurant, I do expect them to be of proper service. Finding foreign object in the meal is not something good regardless of what it is, and customers are entitled to complain for sure. So yeah, I'd complain if it's in a decent place.
The new chief of moderating team. If you notice any problems within the discussion forum, do inform me. Thank you.
Kirkis

Post by Kirkis »

It's a plot to add more protein to your diet, think of it as a bonus surprise that's free of charge. Mmm... cockroach....

haha, but seriously, it kind of depends... like... Insects I complain, hair, I try not to complain too much, because that just kinda happens, regardless of hair nets, etc. IE Hair static clinging to your uniform and then just happening to fall into the spaghetti sauce you're stirring, and stuff like that. Bugs are definitely not excuseable, especially LIVE bugs.
Occam Arkitect

Post by Occam Arkitect »

People's opinion about what's right, healthy, disgusting differ. If I am a waiter and I can stuff six dirty rats in my throat I can still respect someone who doesn't.

On another view, I WILL demand another food or something because having an insect whether I like it or not is not part of the deal.
son_michael

Post by son_michael »

Angelis_Taleria wrote:The health board you say? Legally, it's ok for there to be a certain amount of foreign objects in your food, 4% to be exact so unless you just found a whole dead rat in your salad, the board of health really isn't going to do anything about your meager request.
meager request you say? well it depends, if you had a cockroach in your food then how do you know the place isn't infested with cockroaches? i'd say thats a preety damm good reason for the board of health to get involved
Fu Su Lu

Post by Fu Su Lu »

Well, I would and I have complained when it has happened.
Depending on the place, the answer was different, but usually they apologize and bring another plate of food (it is supposed to be another one, but who knows if they just took away the bug and then brought me again the same food? :shock: )
Forgiver Sign

Post by Forgiver Sign »

Obviously enough, I would always demand for another food if there are any freakin' insects on my dish. I pay the right amount, so the food should be served accordingly as well. After all, I'm a customer, and as the saying goes, "Customers are always right." :D
"Censure me in your wisdom, and awake your senses, that you may the better judge."
MatildaWhiteKnightLeader

Post by MatildaWhiteKnightLeader »

Eh.. Hair in food is not good, you can get hepatitis if the chef is infected. Chefs are suppose to wear hats or cover/control their hair when they prepare meals. Roaches are filthy and so are flies. They've been to places where you wouldn't want to be.

Just tell the waiter there's something in the food and ask for a new dish. They can't tell you to just eat it.

Eating insects ain't bad in general. Remeber from the Lion King, just say Akuma Ma TaTa if it's your first time.
Strategy is the key to victory!
Futagi

Post by Futagi »

Depends on the food really. For example, a lot of places when they get lettuce, the lettuce will have a couple of small black insects in it. Though the food preparers will usually try to get rid of the insects they might find, they're still only human. If you do find one, you can either get a free replacement meal OR a refund. Also, at least in the United States, most restaurants are checked by the health department regularly for such things. So if you did get a bug in your food, in most places, it's probably a rare occurance.
Actually, you're more likely to get sick or something from your food not being prepared right than you are from an insect getting into it. Heck, people in the wilderness survive on those suckers.
Hello Suikoden-type people:D
dragonmasterx
Elite Member

Post by dragonmasterx »

Depends on the food really. For example, a lot of places when they get lettuce, the lettuce will have a couple of small black insects in it. Though the food preparers will usually try to get rid of the insects they might find, they're still only human. If you do find one, you can either get a free replacement meal OR a refund. Also, at least in the United States, most restaurants are checked by the health department regularly for such things. So if you did get a bug in your food, in most places, it's probably a rare occurance.
From personal experience, lettuce is very easy to wash. And its color is very easily distinguishable from black. In comparison, some dark green vegetables are really hard to wash and insects can much more easily camouflage in there. Anyone with good eyesight who puts a little effort should easily be able to remove insects from lettuce, but I can understand the troubles with dark green vegetables.

I remember the time my mom brought home some dark green vegetables(don't know the name, I only know my vegetable names in Chinese) for me to wash that her friend, who planted the veggies herself, gave her. She didn't use pesticides and stuff, so... I was in for some nasty surprises when washing them: two live worms and one live large mosquito. I got so freaked out I threw out the whole batch.
---
I don't understand why some people like to go out for a picnic, allowing insects to fly into their food.
---
In yesterday's packed lunch from the Chinese restaurant which contained egg+tomato, I bit into something hard. Spitting it out revealed small pieces of egg shell.
Vextor
Global Admin

Post by Vextor »

What if you order a dish of deep-fried locusts in Vietnam and there was a non-locust bug also deep-fried with it. Will you get pissed off?
dragonmasterx
Elite Member

Post by dragonmasterx »

Vector Xthonic wrote:What if you order a dish of deep-fried locusts in Vietnam and there was a non-locust bug also deep-fried with it. Will you get pissed off?
I would never order that to begin with. I think most people who don't grow up eating insects wouldn't order something like that. Besides, I'm vegetarian.