Game FAQs "Best Series Ever"

A forum for non-Suikoden related topics.
Oppenheimer
Global Admin

Game FAQs "Best Series Ever"

Post by Oppenheimer »

Is it just me or do the people who are voting on GameFAQs have bad taste in video games for the big contest?

Look at these results:
Mega Man won out over Suikoden
Pokemon won out over Star Ocean
Fire Emblem won out over Silent Hill

No wonder most video game series' are getting watered down when something as childish as pokemon wins out over Star Ocean.
Wraith

Post by Wraith »

Probably because it has a larger fanbase. Have they done Final Fantasy yet? No matter wich game go's against that one, FF WILL win. Probably because of all the Sephiroth Fanboys.

EDIT: Madden series VS Mario bros. right now. I think the result is clear. GTA vs Warcraft is going to be difficult to predict. Sonic VS DMC: I think DMC would win this one. Super Smash Bros VS Dragon quest: Dragon Quest eventhough I never played it and I like SSB more but I know DQ is going to win because of the fanboys.
Futagi

Post by Futagi »

A friend of mine told me about those. I think it's ridiculous how they're doing the pairings. For example, putting Star Ocean against Suikoden (at least they're in the same genre) would've made more sense to me than putting Suikoden against the famous and iconic Megaman series.

Pokemon versus Megaman would've made a bit more sense to me because both have been extremely popular and well-known game series. Star Ocean II I've been told by some is a better game than III, but I doubt many people have played the second and are probably basing their opinions on the less popular third.
Hello Suikoden-type people:D
patapi
Forum Moderator

Post by patapi »

Actually they did the brackets right. One does not pair equally popular whatever earlier on in contests like this. It's one way to ensure that people would continue to stay around until the final few rounds of the contest, when finally the "iconic and famous" titles meet head-on.

In the end, "best" is a misnomer really. They should have called it the "most popular" instead.
pesmerga786

Post by pesmerga786 »

its just peoples personal opinion and what types of games they like. suikoden is probably too over there head with the big huge storyline the connections between the games, the wars and so many other things. You just have to play all the games and stuff to get the jiff of the suikoden WORLD HAHAHA. sorry i got out of hand there....
Waylander

Post by Waylander »

Wow, that is a helluva poll. I agree with all patapi said, also I've never played Silent Hill but I think Fire Emblem is a valid title and while that is definitely a popularity contest, Fire Emblem doesn't have the presence of a Pokemon, or Mega Man, not even Suikoden I don't think.

People favorites and the "best" rarely match up.
patapi
Forum Moderator

Post by patapi »

Fire Emblem graced a console with limited choice of good RPG titles. That should count for something?
Pollensalta

Post by Pollensalta »

patapi wrote:Fire Emblem graced a console with limited choice of good RPG titles. That should count for something?
Fire EMblem is good stuff, yo. the one for the GC kept me entertained for a long time.

but yeah. the poll is skewed. FF will always win. they always do a "fave character" poll every year and CLoud or Sephiroth always win. good times.
Purr.
Occam Arkitect

Re: Game FAQs "Best Series Ever"

Post by Occam Arkitect »

Oppenheimer wrote:Look at these results:
Mega Man won out over Suikoden

Oh c'mon, you expect Suikoden to WIN that round? I'd get angry instead if the latter won. No matter how deep Suiko is, it gets no comparison for 80's videogame innovation.
Oppenheimer
Global Admin

Re: Game FAQs "Best Series Ever"

Post by Oppenheimer »

Occam Arkitect wrote:Oh c'mon, you expect Suikoden to WIN that round? I'd get angry instead if the latter won. No matter how deep Suiko is, it gets no comparison for 80's videogame innovation.
Ah repetitive side scrolling shoot em ups, where all the bosses follow predictable patterns and the graphics have changed maybe twice in the 20 something series of games. That sure is innovative....
Jowy Atreides

Post by Jowy Atreides »

Suikoden's not exactly the most innovative game series out there either.

Mega Man is more diverse than side-scrollers. There are also the Legends game that take place in a 3D environment.

Of course, I wouldn't go so far as to say "Mega Man is better than Suikoden," but you are being a little unfair.
Last edited by Jowy Atreides on Sat Dec 15, 2007 7:09 am, edited 3 times in total.
Waylander

Post by Waylander »

Jowy Atreides wrote:Suikoden's not exactly the most innovative game series out there either.

Of course, I wouldn't go so far as to say "Mega Man is better than Suikoden.", but you are being a little unfair.
Ditto. Mega and Suikoden may have been innovative at the time of the originals, but all franchises fall into a pattern over time.
Oppenheimer
Global Admin

Post by Oppenheimer »

The 108 characters is pretty innovative. But I suppose getting the special powers of the bosses you kill is also innovative around the same level.

You can predict who the final boss is going to be based on the series: Wily, Sigma, etc. It's the same over and over again. At least Suikoden tends to have surprise twists (Windy not fighting you, Luca dying halfway through the game, etc). I do like Mega Man, I'm not saying I don't. I'm just saying it's a little shallow in comparision to Suikoden.
Mega Man also has other games besides the ones you're thinking of. The craptastic Battle Networks, yes, but there's also MegaMan Legends 1 & 2 out there that are quite different from the side-scrollers.
I didn't know about that. But, there's Suikoden Tactics, if you want variety. Plus the card games and the gaidens.
Waylander

Post by Waylander »

Good points, but this is more of a popularity contest as previously noted, hence the shallow outcomes.
Oppenheimer wrote: But, there's Suikoden Tactics, if you want variety. Plus the card games and the gaidens.
Variety doesn't matter if no one knows about it. Next to no one knows about the Suikoden side projects. Hell, next to no one knows about Suikoden in the realm of RPG's or video games in general. How could it ever be expected to do well in a poll like this?

I don't see Suikoden ever having the franchise power of a Mega Man. ‘Shallow’ is also subject to many things: the individual, what games they have played, even age... but all in all, I agree with what you’re saying.
YouKnowYouGeddoe

Post by YouKnowYouGeddoe »

As for Mega Man and Suikoden, I'd have to say that although I'd much rather play any Suikoden title (except IV) than the latest Mega Man/MMX releases, I think it's hard to argue that Mega Man isn't the more important and influential series. In a way, though, it's almost an apples and oranges comparison.

The kinds of things that made Mega Man 2, for instance, experientially unique have to do principally with level design and boss navigation. Level design is the kind of thing that has no experiential analog in an RPG like Suikoden - it's almost like comparing a piece of music with a novel: Whe you play Mega Man 2, you can't choose to play Quick Man's level slower or faster or whatever; you're entirely at the mercy of the game. Similarly, you can't pause a concert, nor can you close your ears.

In Suikoden, on the other hand, so much of the player's job has to do with making connections, developing affection for the characters, and taking part in an almost entirely optional recruitment quest. It invites a hermeneutic approach, not like Mega Man at all.

I agree - not an instructive match-up on GameFAQ's part.
We conjugate verbs and constipate nerds like you.