Squenix shenanigans

A forum for non-Suikoden related topics.
Wraith

Post by Wraith »

t'd have been fine if they'd released it as a spin-off; Final Fantasy Online or some such, and kept "Final Fantasy XI" for a more traditional FF game. Making a purely online game a numbered installment was stupid, in my opinion.
Strange that it wouldn't change anything about the product and yet I feel the same way. And I think many others do as well.
Many found X to be quite boring
I suppose it was quite linear but boring, I wouldn't go that far.
warmaster670

Post by warmaster670 »

my favourite game from them was actually from enix and not squaresoft(star ocean) but i enjoyed what i played of radiata stories, seemd more unique then there other games. tho why name the main char Jack Russel?
Lemmy Claypool

Post by Lemmy Claypool »

Wraith wrote:Quote:
Many found X to be quite boring

I suppose it was quite linear but boring, I wouldn't go that far.
I quite like X myself, though I would say that it's one of the worst in the series. I just know of plenty of people disliking it because they found it boring.
son_michael

Post by son_michael »

actually final fantasy X is considered 1 of the best by MANY fans, final fantasy x was a best seller as well

I also enjoyed final fantasy x-2, although the whole sexual them was preety stupid, I found the garment grid system to be very cool and the story wasn't the worst thing either
Waylander

Post by Waylander »

Lemmy Claypool wrote: I quite like X myself, though I would say that it's one of the worst in the series. I just know of plenty of people disliking it because they found it boring.

I'd be one of those people. Many suikoden fans have the same feelings. I and II rock while everything else was just amiss. Generally I don't dislike square enix, just the rehashing needs to come to an end. I mean 10-15 years from now, I'm not buying Suikoden - Suikoden VIII again in portable format.
Last edited by Waylander on Thu Apr 27, 2006 3:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Oppenheimer
Global Admin

Post by Oppenheimer »

X was okay, Tidus was awful. He's even more whiny and teenage bratty than most teenage protagonists. It was also far too easy, but then I spent a lot of time getting ultimate weapons. I would have to say that it is amoung the worst becuase "okay" is bad for a Final Fantasy game. If it was a seperate game entirely I would have more respect for it. I liked most of the other characters though. But I didn't feel any genuine emotions about them like I did for VII's characters.

Most people who think FFX is the best are those that didn't grow up with anything earlier than VIII or maybe VII. And they probably could relate to Tidus.

Final Fantasy X-2. . . well I finished it recently more becuase I wanted to free up my memory card than becuase I enjoyed it. It wasn't boring but it wasn't actually fun. Although I didn't feel lost while playing it, looking back I can't say that I found out much about the characters, re: character development lacking.

When you put games like FFX and FFX-2 right next to my experience with Suikoden V it really contrasts the shallowness of the FF titles.
Waylander

Post by Waylander »

Oppenheimer wrote:
When you put games like FFX and FFX-2 right next to my experience with Suikoden V it really contrasts the shallowness of the FF titles.
I think that sums things up nicely. The only thing from Squenix that I am really looking forward to is Crystal Chronicles and Children of Mana.
Lourde Incarnadine

Post by Lourde Incarnadine »

Waylander wrote:
Oppenheimer wrote:
I think that sums things up nicely. The only thing from Squenix that I am really looking forward to is Crystal Chronicles and Children of Mana.
Take Crystal Chronicles away from that and you've got my list. Though I might peep at this Valkyrie Profile that people seem to love so much; I missed out on it when it was on the PSX and don't have a PSP so I never got to play the original.
Waylander

Post by Waylander »

The first Crystal Chronicles was good, but great with four people. I think the next installment will be better and easier to handle multiplayer online. I'm not all about online games, but it was too much work to have multiplayer on the Cube. I think many people missed out on how good that game should've been because of that difficulty.
Pollensalta

Post by Pollensalta »

Final Fantasy X-2 is the worst ever, in my opinion. I loved the "dress sphere" thing but I don't know... the storyline sucked, and it was so odd to see Yuna go from being a sweet summoner to a "zomg pop star!!"
Purr.
Komataguri

Post by Komataguri »

Pollensalta wrote:Final Fantasy X-2 is the worst ever, in my opinion. I loved the "dress sphere" thing but I don't know... the storyline sucked, and it was so odd to see Yuna go from being a sweet summoner to a "zomg pop star!!"

I have played that game 15 times.

I could never get past around the 13th hour before giving up and walking away.
daoster

Post by daoster »

A lot of people love Final Fantasy VIII, it's just, especially in the case of Square Enix games, the ones who hate it are the ones that are most vocal about it.

Again, a lot of people enjoyed X-2, and it was suppose to be very popular among the female gamers in Japan. If people are going to get all worked up about a little fanservice, which isn't even that bad when compared to some other games, then I suggest they stay away from Suikoden V, because some of the scantily clad characters might be a bit too much for them.

I don't know why people expected it to be up to par with a normal Final Fantasy game, because it wasn't suppose to be...it was a game released for those waiting for XII (when it was suppose to come out in a reasonable amount of time), but didn't want to get XI.

And while Yuna's "job position" did change, she was still essentially, the same caring Yuna from X.

And people say they haven't done anything original for 20 years? It's because they've attempted to be original that so many people have complained. People would rather have them stay the same for 20 years (whoamg! the golden days of the SNES...my ass!) rather then try something else (see the complaining for VIII, X, and even though it's not out in the U.S. yet, some are already complaining aboug XII from a demo).
I tell the DJ what to play, I tell the MC what to say!
Like good music? Check out my podcast: http://www.musicaloccupation.com
Komataguri

Post by Komataguri »

U.S.

I love how forum filters out the letter |_| and replaces it with you, which is brilliant when you are doing abriviations such as those that are standard for America.

Anyways.

I've never been outraged that they change, because even if they make a change and it fails in their first game the change was in....they usually refine it to the point that its beloved by the time they impliment it in the next game.

Altho onto another point, SNES was the golden age of gaming. Games today just don't measure up because the vast majority [ not all, jsut the majority ] try to make up for lacking stories with pretty advanced graphics or all kinds of inane additional things such as online play.

SNES was the perfect blend of graphical power and story telling. Which is kinda sad, actually..
daoster

Post by daoster »

Altho onto another point, SNES was the golden age of gaming. Games today just don't measure up because the vast majority [ not all, jsut the majority ] try to make up for lacking stories with pretty advanced graphics or all kinds of inane additional things such as online play.
Fine, you continue playing the same old SNES games, while I continue to enjoy games as they come (it must be noted that SNES was not without its games with pretty graphics or some silly little thing to mask it's horrible playability). I'll take current gen Final Fantasy X-2's cast, and story over a "golden era" game like FInal Fantasy IV with it's boring world and characters and boring gameplay mechanics any day.
I tell the DJ what to play, I tell the MC what to say!
Like good music? Check out my podcast: http://www.musicaloccupation.com
Komataguri

Post by Komataguri »

daoster wrote:
Fine, you continue playing the same old SNES games, while I continue to enjoy games as they come (it must be noted that SNES was not without its games with pretty graphics or some silly little thing to mask it's horrible playability). I'll take current gen Final Fantasy X-2's cast, and story over a "golden era" game like FInal Fantasy IV with it's boring world and characters and boring gameplay mechanics any day.

Ah, a fanboy.

Should have realized, can't ever have an intelligent conversation with fanboys. :roll: