Guide Discrepancy [Has anyone noticed....

A forum for people who have played the game concerning the Sun Rune War to answer gameplay questions.
Hg_gt

Guide Discrepancy [Has anyone noticed....

Post by Hg_gt »

The GAMEPLAY for Suikoden 5 is different from whats in the strategy guide on a lot of things?

There is a lot of mistypes. Like mentioning stormfist rather then the east palace, and actual GAMEPLAY misinformation; like how it says when you fight childrich and dolph it says u cannot defeat them....but u can and u get a prosperity piece...

Im on my second time through this time actually following the guide and there has been many other errors in information as well...

Its a shame that the guide is off on the GAMEPLAY on this one....i never remember it being this way eith any other guised for the suikodens....

Anyone else have any GAMEPLAY instances that dont necesarily follow the strategy guide to inform those who DO follow the strategfy guide? I mean hell the prosperity rune piece could be very nice for some earlier in the game if a whole set is completed

Gt
Wraith

Re: Guide Discrepancy [Has anyone noticed....

Post by Wraith »

Hg_gt wrote:The GAMEPLAY for Suikoden 5 is different from whats in the strategy guide on a lot of things?

There is a lot of mistypes. Like mentioning stormfist rather then the east palace, and actual GAMEPLAY misinformation; like how it says when you fight childrich and dolph it says you cannot defeat them....but you can and you get a prosperity piece...

Im on my second time through this time actually following the guide and there has been many other errors in information as well...

Its a shame that the guide is off on the GAMEPLAY on this one....i never remember it being this way eith any other guised for the suikodens....

Anyone else have any GAMEPLAY instances that dont necesarily follow the strategy guide to inform those who DO follow the strategfy guide? I mean hell the prosperity rune piece could be very nice for some earlier in the game if a whole set is completed

Gt
Its strange how the Suikoden games guides are so incorrect. I have many strategy guides for other games and they are pretty much correct all the time...
Aldo

Post by Aldo »

Depends on who made it I guess... I don't have the guide, a lot of them suck so I don't bother anymore.

The most infuriating guide was Prima's Breath of Fire III guide. If anyone has ever played the game, and knows anything about the guide, they will know exactly what I mean without saying it.

There is a boss battle in the beginning, Balio and Sunder, and you simply cannot defeat them. They have no HP values, they live indefinitely. You can GS your file, so you hit for 9,999 and they will never die. Even if you don't cheat, you can eventually get it so you can hit auto battle, without a chance of dying, and leave the game on for a week. They won't die.

So what does the guide say? Something along the lines of: "You CAN beat Balio and Sunder, but you need to have extremely high levels to do so..." and goes on to say what you get if you beat them. A lot of people spent forever trying to beat them, there was a huge thing about it at GameFAQS, Dawn of Victory.

So needless to say, you have to be careful with game guides....haha.
KFCrispy
Global Admin

Post by KFCrispy »

haha THAT. i read something like that when playing that game and tried leveling. it might have been that guide, i probably have it. it got me really tired of the game really fast and i gave up playing after a while.
Aldo

Post by Aldo »

KFCrispy wrote:haha THAT. i read something like that when playing that game and tried leveling. it might have been that guide, i probably have it. it got me really tired of the game really fast and i gave up playing after a while.
Yeah it was like blah blah you get an Asbestos Armor! Yeah...thanks for wasting our time on a boss that cannot be defeated!
managerr

Post by managerr »

This guide is definitely horrible this time out. If not for this board, I would have missed a lot of things.

My biggest pet peeve with it so far is that they missed the Champion Rune in Jeane's quest thing.
KFCrispy
Global Admin

Post by KFCrispy »

i heard there's a good character art gallery. the pre-order artbook is so limited -_-
Hg_gt

Post by Hg_gt »

luckily i didnt use the book the first time through so i found the champion rune and that was one of the main runes i used throughout the rest of the game on one of that chars. I love that rune but unfortunatly i didnt think to unequip it before the end so i could use it the next time around =/

Gt
Chaos_Zero

Post by Chaos_Zero »

Aldo wrote:Depends on who made it I guess... I don't have the guide, a lot of them suck so I don't bother anymore.

The most infuriating guide was Prima's Breath of Fire III guide. If anyone has ever played the game, and knows anything about the guide, they will know exactly what I mean without saying it.

There is a boss battle in the beginning, Balio and Sunder, and you simply cannot defeat them. They have no HP values, they live indefinitely. You can GS your file, so you hit for 9,999 and they will never die. Even if you don't cheat, you can eventually get it so you can hit auto battle, without a chance of dying, and leave the game on for a week. They won't die.

So what does the guide say? Something along the lines of: "You CAN beat Balio and Sunder, but you need to have extremely high levels to do so..." and goes on to say what you get if you beat them. A lot of people spent forever trying to beat them, there was a huge thing about it at GameFAQS, Dawn of Victory.

So needless to say, you have to be careful with game guides....haha.
Actually, you CAN beat Balio and Sunder early in the game. At least when escaping the prison in Wyndia. It's very hard to do so, but completely doable. It's supposed to be a battle you're supposed to lose but can win like the Dolph/Ghilderich battle in SV, or that one battle in Suikoden II right outside Genkaku's house.

Just thought I'd mention that.
The Miraculous Epidemic, Cruel Salvation, and Merciful Genocide.
Aldo

Post by Aldo »

Chaos_Zero wrote: Actually, you CAN beat Balio and Sunder early in the game. At least when escaping the prison in Wyndia. It's very hard to do so, but completely doable. It's supposed to be a battle you're supposed to lose but can win like the Dolph/Ghilderich battle in SV, or that one battle in Suikoden II right outside Genkaku's house.

Just thought I'd mention that.
That's well known. I was talking about in the Cedar Woods. That's where the problem lies.
Rivera

Post by Rivera »

The guide is wrong on a lot of the "earliest" you can recruit people times such as Zegai. (And that's a big one considering he's got Combat Teacher - you WANT Zegai as early as humanly possible). It was likely rushed to meet the release of the game, and thus they didn't look too far for things they should have. It wasn't the worst guide I've seen but it could have been a lot better.

They completely miss the Oboro recruitment sidequest, and then go on to tell you Oboro joining you is almost completely random, which is of course not the case. It;s also inaccurate with some minor things, IE, Richard/Genoh's recruitment.

The guide says you have to go all the way back out and back in the cave. Simply go one screen back and then go back to get whichever one wasn't there before, etc.

It also leaves out one of the DoReMi elf locations, which I thought was odd.
What is most important to you? Will you give me the happiness of taking it away from you?
managerr

Post by managerr »

It also leaves out one of the DoReMi elf locations, which I thought was odd.
It's in the walk-through, which can be kind of annoying....it'll be like: "Make your party and Head to the Twilight Forest, bleah bleah....then two paragraphs later: "Oh yeah, there's a DoReMi elf here, so you might want to warp back to town to get Cornelio".
Hg_gt

Post by Hg_gt »

"The guide is wrong on a lot of the "earliest" you can recruit people times such as Zegai"

whens the first time u can recruit him? I dont think i actually got him the first time i played....i think the last time i saw him was when i left haud village...

Gt
KFCrispy
Global Admin

Post by KFCrispy »

i think the earliest you can get him is immediately after recruiting Takamu, which is immediately after bringing Lucretia to HQ. or can you actually recruit him before leaving Agate Prison before Lucretia??
Sickpup

Post by Sickpup »

I also noticed that there were lots of dumb printing mistakes. It's like Bradygames doesn't have an editor.

Two I have noticed so far is that under the East Palace Treasures; it says "Stormfist Treasures" and next to Kisara's name and stats, it shows a picture of Cius.
"Master Flik, you are immature. But that immaturity, that honesty was something I coveted.

And I'm sure that is why Lady Odessa loved you..."