Harmonia and non-human races.

Questions about the locations mentioned in the series; and those about the backstory not seen in the games.
Jowy Atreides

Harmonia and non-human races.

Post by Jowy Atreides »

For those of you who don't know, this is how it works in Harmonia:

First-class citizens: natives of Harmonia that always have blonde hair and blue eyes due to the strict marriage customs of Harmonia. They enjoy a wide array of privelages not available to second and third class citizens, and usually have some amount of power in politics.

Second-class citizens: people native to a nation that was approached by Harmonian aggression and decided to surrender immediately. They also enjoy a wide array of privelages, but some are only available to first-class citizens. For the most part, they are almost never part of the aristocracy.

Third-class citizens: People native to a nation that has resisted Harmonian rule. The children in these families are usually sent to serve First-class Harmonains in Crystal Valley.

The un-classed rank, sub-humans: The rank given to people who are not of the human race: Kobolds, elves, dwarves, possibly even naykobolds.

With that said, how does it work for Kobolds and other people classified by Harmonia as Sub-humans? If they try and enter Harmonia as a tourist, are they immediately seized and indoctrinated into Harmonian society? I know that Gau was working for the HSFDF, but that's mainly just for mercenaries. Also, are third class citizens considered disposable property like sub-humans are?
Last edited by Jowy Atreides on Wed Jan 17, 2007 12:21 am, edited 5 times in total.
Ced The Lad

Post by Ced The Lad »

I believe sub-humans are classified as third class citizens. With that in mind, I really don't think "sub-humans" would step foot near harmonia. I guess Mercs are different since they are protecting harmonia's borders after all.

But I do wonder what would happen if Harmonia tried to conquer a non-human nation and they'd surrender. What rank would they have then?
http://www.suikox.com: Where the Tinto Republic continues to guide the masses through the sea of history.
Jowy Atreides

Post by Jowy Atreides »

Exactly. I just love how deep and interesting a country can seem when we've only been there a few times in Suikogaiden Volume Two and a couple of times in Suikoden Three. But, I know that Sub-humans get treated a lot worse than third-class citizens, so it doesn't quite fit that they're third-class citizens.
Last edited by Jowy Atreides on Mon Aug 15, 2005 5:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
Kcirtap1990

Post by Kcirtap1990 »

Ced The Lad wrote:I believe sub-humans are classified as third class citizens. With that in mind, I really don't think "sub-humans" would step foot near harmonia. I guess Mercs are different since they are protecting harmonia's borders after all.

But I do wonder what would happen if Harmonia tried to conquer a non-human nation and they'd surrender. What rank would they have then?
I would guess they would be most likely a 2.5 Class somewhere between Second and Third Class. I would bet less of slaves and extreme low class, where the best job they could get is a job of Third Class but with extremly low pay.
Vextor
Global Admin

Post by Vextor »

The "Sub-human" class is lower than third class within Harmonian society, that is because they are not even considered as citizens of Harmonia, and mere property used for labor.
Kcirtap1990

Post by Kcirtap1990 »

SARSadmin wrote:The "Sub-human" class is lower than third class within Harmonian society, that is because they are not even considered as citizens of Harmonia, and mere property used for labor.
I guess that makes sense. Harmonia is one weird place. So I'm assuming Geddoe and the others except for Jacques are all concidered Second Class?
Vextor
Global Admin

Post by Vextor »

They're all outside the conventional rank structure. When a person enters the border guards, they become "exempt" from the social class rules. However, they are considered above third-class citizens in all situations. Otherwise, they are considered "outsiders."
RageRune

Post by RageRune »

But I thoght Queen was a third class citizen since her homeland(Sanady) was conquered by Harmonia. Unless the Harmonian goverment gives them second class staus.
Vextor
Global Admin

Post by Vextor »

No one knows what Queen's old nation's status is--whether their citizens are 2nd or 3rd class citizens. However, if a 3rd class citizens joins the border guard (because they're good fighters), their status changes. That's why the border guards have a wide range of eclectic talent--and many of them are not Harmonians to begin with.
Sesshomaru

Post by Sesshomaru »

SARS I rember on your site you put up a "Is Queen Jilla?" I read the whole thing MAN that convincing. Could it be true? or is all the info on the page fake.

Harmonia treets people like the romans did in their time. Are Woman in harmonia Citizens? does anyone know?
To be a rock and not to roll -Led Zeppelin
Marth Owns Old school style.
STYX!!
There must of been a door there in the wall!
Vextor
Global Admin

Post by Vextor »

Women born in a 1st class Harmonian family are 1st class as well. Gender has no bearing on a person's class.

As far as the Queen = Jillia stuff goes, there are some other facts that can easily disprove it. For one thing, we don't know if Sanady is the same as Sanadia. Secondly, Queen seems to know hew homeland well, while Jillia won't share that sort of feeling.
KQswst104

Post by KQswst104 »

One thing I've been wondering is what do rank they consider non-Harmonians with blonde hair and blue eyes? Especially ones who are noble, like Borus.
Jowy Atreides

Post by Jowy Atreides »

I don't think people outside of Harmonia have a rank inside Harmonia, unless of course they are originally from there. It's sort of like if someone came to visit the United States, we'd consider them tourists, not really a rank or anything like that. I highly doubt they have ranks for non-Harmonians as well, there'd really be no point.
Last edited by Jowy Atreides on Mon Aug 15, 2005 5:34 am, edited 3 times in total.
Vextor
Global Admin

Post by Vextor »

Exactly, foreigners have no rank--they're outside Harmonia's social system. However, when foreigners become integrated into Harmonian society, they typically become 2nd class citizens. 1st class is resevred for "pure harmonians."
RageRune

Post by RageRune »

I got another question. Is it possible for native Harmonians to have dark hair and dark eyes. Or is that considered "unpure" in Harmonia?