S Ranks

A forum to ask people who have played the games about gameplay questions.
Chaos

Post by Chaos »

Well I got my first S Rank, though I decided NOT to go for any chests and tried to quickly finish the mission. I think if you use a team attack effectively, your battle ranking will go up.
Angelis_Taleria
Elite Member

Post by Angelis_Taleria »

I use those fairly often, due to how powerful they are and I still manager to get A rank. Not only that, but I've been making sure to keep my units on rune tiles that match their affinity and all I ever get is A rank. I know I'm defeating enemies in a timely manner, because Unites + Lazlo = Quick Victory.
I hope everything is going delicious.
son_michael

Post by son_michael »

I think the best way to get S rank in battle is to keep leveling your characters so that they can kill about 4 or 5 characters on there own, this way..1 character can go for the treasure chest and 2 could just easily kill the rest while on there elemental tiles and using unites

that would probably be the best way to get an S rank

1. kill enemies quick{hence all the leveling I suggested}
2.get the treasure chest
3.use unites and stay on positive elemental squares

time is most likely the main factor

hey chaos, what did you do to earn yourself an S rank?

be more speciffic! we want S ranks too!
Angelis_Taleria
Elite Member

I finally achieved S rank. Twice at that, but neither time did I get a very interesting item. One of them was a machine part or something. A cog, I believe. I can't think of the other off the top of my head, but it was equally as boring. I got the first one at the Caleron place and another while hunting monsters.
son_michael

Post by son_michael »

Angelis_Taleria wrote:I finally achieved S rank. Twice at that, but neither time did I get a very interesting item. One of them was a machine part or something. A cog, I believe. I can't think of the other off the top of my head, but it was equally as boring. I got the first one at the Caleron place and another while hunting monsters.
can you explain how you got an S rank? did you do anything different than what you normally do?

I want an S rank-_-
Angelis_Taleria
Elite Member

I was actually doing worse in battle than I normally did. As a matter of fact, two of my units had to withdraw and two additional characters were in less than favorable conditions. As a matter of fact, it was a stroke of luck that I won in Caleron. I had Trishtan(horrible accuracy x_x) mounted on a Tsunouma then I went behind Roget, who'd made the ground wind affinity, switched out trishtan for Kika and unleashed her Falcon rune on him.

The second time I was just battling as normal and got an S rank. The equipment you get has funky names, heh.

Afterwards I celebrated by eating cream cheese danishes. Why am I telling you this? Because it was all a part of my strategy!
Futch02

Post by Futch02 »

So far, I see the rankings based on the following; Time/Turn Count (the faster you get through the map, the higher the rank), Elements (try staying on your element as often as possible through out the battle), Experience (meaning, leveling your characters obnoxiously to run through a battle won't nessessarily earn you an S rank), Damage recieved (try to deal more damage than you get. Loosing characters is a BIG no no. Try to take out the mass hit characters in a map first. Also, use that handy counter to target the next character. If you have a choice btwn hitting two characters, you MAY want to aim for the character that has the closest turn coming up. May save you some hitpoints AND turns.)

Anything else, I'm not sure of yet. >.< Still working out the battle kinks in this one. This elemental terrain thing being so important is new to me, seeing as I've always ignored it in previous SRPGs, because I frankly don't care for it >.<
Angelis_Taleria
Elite Member

Losing character's can't be a factor. As I said above, I lost 2 and still achieved S rank.
Futch02

Post by Futch02 »

Angelis_Taleria wrote:Losing character's can't be a factor. As I said above, I lost 2 and still achieved S rank.
Huh. I dunno. Everytime I lose a character, my rank suffers more then when I don't. Did the characters have low HP? Because getting a good character killed will severly fall into the "Damaged Recieved" catigory.
Angelis_Taleria
Elite Member

They didn't have low HP, their HP was depleted and they withdrew from battle. I didn't switch them out, they left due to having no HP. This is why I say that having allies die can't be a factor in getting rank, because if it was I wouldn't have got a S ranking. the first time.
Futch02

Post by Futch02 »

lol. well, maybe you just rocked the other characters in their stead. So, maybe losing a character isn't as crucial as I thought, but I still stand by the rest of it. The damage you recieve makes a big difference, one way or another. I strongly believe that.
Chaos

Post by Chaos »

son_michael wrote:

hey chaos, what did you do to earn yourself an S rank?

be more speciffic! we want S ranks too!
Ok,

I'm not sure how I ended up getting an S-Rank but I'll explain what happened in the battle in as much detail as possible. I was fighting in the Secret Underground path in Middleport(a guy asked you to find rune parts though I can't remember his name right now).

I started the battle with Kyril, Seneca, Andarc and Lita. I can't remember Kyril's or Andarc's level's right now but Seneca was at lvl. 3 and Lita at 1. I my teams first turn, Seneca and Andarc used their Cooperative Attack, Cohort attack to take out 2 enemies(might have been three, I'm not sure). Then throughout the rest of the attack I made sure my players stayed within their affinity+ squares(corresponding to their elements) and I learned Dying Wish attack in battle and used it in battle. Since I was rushing through the fight I decided not to get the treasure chests since I knoew what was in them(I was replaying the level since Rita died before). Seneca went up to lvl. 6(I think), Rita lvl. 2 and I can't remeber Kyril or Andarc but I know they each went up at least a level.

With my S-Rank I got an anazing robe for Andarc(for this point in the game)

Archmage's Robe 1

At the top of the screen it says "Rank S token from Secret Room" and when I changed my equipment from Robe to Archmage's Robe, I get +20 to MDF and +12 to defense.

I'm still not sure what conditions have to be met to achieve an S Rank but I think it has to do with finishing the battle quickly, using coop. attacks effectively, minimizing damage taken(I forgot to mention but my players didn't take that much damage and they were covering for one another. i.e. Seneca and Andarc) and fighting in your affinity+ area might help.

Hope this helps :D
son_michael

Post by son_michael »

yes indeed, thanks for that info!
Futch02

Post by Futch02 »

The "using cooperative attacks" thing kinda rubs me the wrong way for a stratagy game, and this got me thinking. Often, frequent use of a specific type of attack holds no merrit to something like this. So, maybe it's not simply a matter of using "cooperative" attacks at all. When you use one of these attacks, you usually get a strong, one hit kill which effects time. But that can't be the only reason right? Well, maybe if "damage taken" is a factor, so is "damage given"? Hmm...I'm starting to wonder....
Angelis_Taleria
Elite Member

I'm fairly certain the number of times you use combination attacks have little to nothing to do with it.