Gay Characters

Ask questions about the personality and backstory of the multitude of characters in the Suikoden series.
Oppenheimer
Global Admin

Post by Oppenheimer »

Yes, most relationships don't work very well in Suikoden but that's what makes them interesting enough to come up. Gary and Ema from Suikoden IV are probably a old married couple. But, they're as boring as hell so we don't get any details about them. Oddessa and Flik's relationship might not have been brought up much either except that since Oddessa died Flik made a big deal about how upset he was.

Regardless, I'm not saying that the protagonist needs to be solely homosexual. But it would be nice if either 1) some of those "low key" relationships are homosexual ones, to balance the series out, and this happened with Lelei and Lucretia except it was one sided, or 2) the protagonist's choices about who he's interested in allow him or her to become homosexual if they so choose.

If the protagonist is "you" shouldn't he or she be able to choose who to get involved with as you would? I think it's only fair.

But, I have to admit the protagonist is usually the least sexual character out of the bunch (kinda focused on a true rune usually), so what he or she does isn't as important as relationships between side characters.
YouKnowYouGeddoe

Post by YouKnowYouGeddoe »

I think Flik and Odessa's relationship should be explored in more detail. It seems like it was probably pretty one-sided for a long time - she had, after all, recently lost her husband (fiance?) Achilles. But if Sanchez is to be believed, it bloomed into a truly reciprocal romance, albeit one tragically cut short.

Also, Sanchez was totally gay.

Edit to avoid double-posting: Just kidding about Sanchez. Bolo tie? Hello?!
We conjugate verbs and constipate nerds like you.
Dura Sinai

Post by Dura Sinai »

Well, is there any real reason for the plot to turn back toward Flik and Odessa? Her death was a turning point in the first game as the tourch is passed on to Tir and it gives Flik a motivation to fight. It is not important to the plot beyond how it was used.

But the main factor in how difficult going back on just about any relationship is location and time constraints. By moving to different countries each game, that limits the area where most characters would likely be found. Move one nation and it is understandable there could be some movement. Also, extensive backstories are hard to go into considering that with most of the games being rather spread in their chronology means most characters won't be in more than two games. Plot for each character has to be relevant for this reason or only brushed upon.

I like character backstory, but with 108 characters a line needs to be drawn. Going into the personal histories and affairs of characters would detract greatly from the games and basically clutter matters very quickly.
YouKnowYouGeddoe

Post by YouKnowYouGeddoe »

I'm really speaking from a literary standpoint here. It may run counter to good game design, but we rarely see a relationship in video games with the kind of dynamic that Flik and Odessa's must have had, especially not one that ends prematurely. It may never be fleshed out in a Suikoden game, and I guess that's fine, but I wish there were some way for us to know more about it.
We conjugate verbs and constipate nerds like you.
Oppenheimer
Global Admin

Post by Oppenheimer »

Well, it could be part of the plot. It makes a good plot twist. One of the people on your party turns traitor to the other side becuase he falls in love with a general there. It would be unexpected if you didn't know he was gay in the first place. I think there's lots of potential for that kind of thread.
Chimaera

Post by Chimaera »

Hello all,

I think the Lelei/Lucretia situation could completely be what one of the earlier posters was alluding to about a possible gay relationship or just a case of such extreme devotion on the behalf of one character as to make it seem like "love". I think the Hero in V if you choose the stay at home ending is paired in a good light to eventually settle down with Lyon (at least so it seems to me) and I also think Luserina was very interested in making an honest man out of him.
Hunter_of_The_True_Runes

Post by Hunter_of_The_True_Runes »

The first character I even have thought of as gay is in fact Rahal.

Oh, this is my first post. WEE
chicka3759

Post by chicka3759 »

i so think lelei is gay...did u see the bath scene?
*Maria*
Chernigov

Post by Chernigov »

chicka3759 wrote:i so think lelei is gay...did you see the bath scene?
Maybe she just likes cute kids. I mean... you know what I mean... I think.
It must be so great, to have the bits that stick out and the bits that stay in be so clearly revealed!
chicka3759

Post by chicka3759 »

lol idk but still eresh isnt a kid...i think still it is still weirdish
*Maria*
Keebo

Post by Keebo »

I have to agree with most of you and say that I was sensing devotion bordering on love from Lelei toward Lucretia. She even compared their relationship to the one between Lyon and the prince, which could be considered a 'devotion/love' relationship. I personally think that it was a nice touch. In a way, I prefer implied relationships.

Most of us go by that, anyway. If we want a character to be with another character, than we perceive everything in that light. Not all of us agree on pairings, but I think they all turn out pretty interesting. :lol:
lucreborn

Post by lucreborn »

and why are all these characters happy all the time may i ask.....

Joke lol

Call me clueless but the only characters that seem gay are the ones that use the rose bronch in the game. Maybe i am just clueless though.
"I've always been alone, ever since I was born." ~luc suikoden 3~
DSPaul

Post by DSPaul »

lucreborn wrote:Call me clueless but the only characters that seem gay are the ones that use the rose bronch in the game. Maybe i am just clueless though.
Well, as several people on this thread have pointed out, flamboyant dress sense ≠ gay.

Personally, I can't help but snicker every time someone calls Viktor a "bear-like man." (The word "bear" is sometimes used to refer to large, hairy gay men -- about as far from Milich as you can get!)
Belle

Post by Belle »

Dinn wrote:RICHARD IS GAY!
You know, it's unenlightened posts such as these that get a thread such as this closed.

There may be plenty of things to suggest Richard bats for the other team... especially to folks who can't see a male taking any kind of interest in another male as anything other than being gay... but nothing to really support it. He shows interest in only one male, and it has nothing to do with romance. It does, however, have everything to do with a father-son type relationship. For further clarification, kill Richard off in the duel to Childerich.
Dinn

Post by Dinn »

Belle wrote:
Dinn wrote:RICHARD IS GAY!
You know, it's unenlightened posts such as these that get a thread such as this closed.

There may be plenty of things to suggest Richard bats for the other team... especially to folks who can't see a male taking any kind of interest in another male as anything other than being gay... but nothing to really support it. He shows interest in only one male, and it has nothing to do with romance. It does, however, have everything to do with a father-son type relationship. For further clarification, kill Richard off in the duel to Childerich.
Oh come on I was joking!...im sorry :(
FILTHY DEVIL!