Sans soul-eater

A forum to ask questions if you are stuck in the The Gate Rune Wars; or wish for more clarity on the gameplay systems.
Eao

Sans soul-eater

Post by Eao »

I know its pointless, but has anyone here ever completed Suikoden 1, without using the souleater at all (it uses itself story wise) I did, on my second or third go. It makes the game pretty intersting. if not harder.
(i was planing on doing this with somthing else, but its not the place to discuss)
the best thing about the internet is that they can't see you pick your nose
KFCrispy
Global Admin

Post by KFCrispy »

i generally never use the soul eater until i get the 4th level spell. i don't think it would be that much harder considering i now know about the magic combo spells and can easily abuse them in almost any situation, especially with the amt of magic spells you get in this game compared to 2 and 3.
Landis

Post by Landis »

I dunno... I use that third level spell a lot for levelling...
Palegate

Post by Palegate »

I only realized how valuable some of the spells even were my second go through the game.
no even the cursed rune denies me?- windy at least I think thats how it goes.
Nemesis

Post by Nemesis »

I use the Soul Eater a lot. Black Shadow and the Judgement. The soul eater isn't really that great in part 2. That Bright Shield out beat it so yea. Soul eater in part 4 is tight. :D
Nick Bruiser
patapi
Forum Moderator

Post by patapi »

Soul Eater losing to half of a true rune? Never. Bright Shield was immersely useful, but only as a support rune at best. While Soul Eater is overall a great rune, some of the BS spell felt unneeded that I usually had to fine a complementing second (or third) rune to Hero 2 in order take advantage of his naturally high MP.

The third spell of Soul Eater was no doubt a nightmare for non-bosses. Training low level units could have never been much easier, for example. If it's a boss, there's always the spectacular final spell to give you the ultimate win.

[spoiler]Even in the capable hands of Ted many years ago (technically), it was still arguably the best magical rune in that game despite the change in its array of spells.[/spoiler]

Anyway, back to the original topic, it's entirely possible to avoid using the rune if you discount story-driven events. I've gone through the first Suikoden without the use of any attack spells, and it's still pretty much the same game.

EDIT: I just realise that this thread is two months old, ack.
Nemesis

Post by Nemesis »

no its just that umm when I used the bright shield, the forgiven sign, on that last boss(the beast rune), it hit up to 2 000. while the judgement attack dmg was lower. I'm talkin bout the bosses, not the little monsters. :D
Nick Bruiser
Toon Maha Vailo

Post by Toon Maha Vailo »

I used the third level spell for quick and easy levelling as well. Personally I feel like it would be fun to go back to this game again and not use it for the challenge. Secondly, I preferred the Bright Shield Rune. Battle Oath was a nasty, nasty spell if it made Shiro or Victor berserk. That's what I use it for.
Stallion

Post by Stallion »

we are on the Suikoden 1 board here remember :P ( besides in GS2 Tir's Judgement does 2200 damage last I saw. )
Truewindrune

Post by Truewindrune »

Huh??that's weird.... i'm using BSR Lvl 4 to beast rune but it just do a little damage (only about 300 or so), so i'm just use that spell for recovery only.

But when i'm using Soul Eater the damage was awesome! about 2000+![/quote]
Toon Maha Vailo

Post by Toon Maha Vailo »

Stallion wrote:we are on the Suikoden 1 board here remember :P ( besides in GS2 Tir's Judgement does 2200 damage last I saw. )
Yeah, lol. I was just answering the people above. I think we're comparing, somehow now, the Soul Eater spells to those of the Bright Shield.
son_michael

Post by son_michael »

Truewindrune wrote:Huh??that's weird.... i'm using BSR Lvl 4 to beast rune but it just do a little damage (only about 300 or so), so i'm just use that spell for recovery only.

But when i'm using Soul Eater the damage was awesome! about 2000+!
[/quote]

same with me

the only reason I ever used bright shield rune on the beast rune was to recover otherwise soul eaters the only thing that does the job
Kasumi

Post by Kasumi »

Basically, I never use Soul Eater, except if I'm bored with a fighting (especially when I'm walking back to exit a dungeon... these damn Escape talismans almost never work !). So it's not that difficult.
KFCrispy
Global Admin

Post by KFCrispy »

er well the explanation behind your "300" dmg in that game vs Beast Rune is because it heals your party for up to ~2000 hit points, and leftover damages enemy. heal your party before using it to make it completely be offensive. if you still don't understand this spell, please make a topic in the Suikoden 2 forums.

but anyway... i rarely used the "instant death" spells because i thought it wasn't 100% successful on regular enemies (is it??).
Kasumi

Post by Kasumi »

No, if you use Deadly fingertips (instant kill of one enemy) or Hell (instant kill of all enemies) it will ALWAYS work, EXCEPT on a boss.
Well, in the end I should have dated Tir before the end of the war...