Why 150 years?

Ask questions about the events that take place during the Suikoden games themselves.
Occam Arkitect

Post by Occam Arkitect »

Suikoden 4 is great because it feels like it's another RPG on suikoden's universe. Some say their gripes because the unexplained characters wasn't given light. Others complain a prequel that didn't explain anything. Boohoo to sissies who think they can make a better suikoden.
RageRune

Post by RageRune »

Suikoden 4 is great because it feels like it's another RPG on suikoden's universe. Some say their gripes because the unexplained characters wasn't given light. Others complain a prequel that didn't explain anything. Boohoo to sissies who think they can make a better suikoden.
Well damn, excuse us for wanting a better installment than what we got and explaining how the Suiko4 plot could've been better. Boohoo to that.

Sorry if that sounded harsh, but it just sucks that this game had potnetial but it was wasted and produced as part of Suikoden.

I think one of the many problems with the plot of Suiko4 was that there was no sense of urgency or warfare. Hell it was'nt even til the begining of our siege against Fort El-Eal that a sense of war was in the game. and that was close to the ending of the game. There should have been more of a devasting feel in this game instead of a few ships taking a little island kingdom that has no worth to the empire anyway.

Also, as everyone said before, the game was too short and alot of things were unexplained (like Gaien's lack of protection for Razril) and unanswered. Maybe that was meant to be for a sequel to this crap but if Konami is planning on making SuikoV a squel to IV (which I hope does'nt happen) then they need to improve alot from IV and go back to the orginal Suikoden formula (Large and vibrant towns, display of governement and corruption,warfare and it's effects, evil and unmerciful generals or other high powered people, cameos from other games, world-map,etc) and they need to gain their fan back cuz now I'm kind of skeptical of where the series is going. Though I still remain positive in SuikoV.
jonathan_priest

Ugh...

Post by jonathan_priest »

My total arguement is simply that the war meant absolutely nothing. An invading army attacks your home...you island hop recruiting the other islands and BOOM, the war's over. Sorry, but in Suiko 1 and 2, the war played a much bigger role. You had to negotiate and do a lot more to get people to join. Look at Warriors Village or Two Rivers, the missions to get them to join really added a depth to the characters involved. Whereas in 4, the hardest actual mission was to get some medicine from the elves. Yeah, that mission lasted all of 10 minutes (20 if you count the insane # of fights between the village and the elf tree) The war in that game was meaningless, and it all came down to Cray wanting the Rune of Punishment, and it never really explained why he wanted it in the first place...or wanted it back. It was really useless as far as I could tell.
"It doesn't matter if the glass is half empty or half full...what matters is the glass."
Lilly

Post by Lilly »

From some of the arguments here, I interpret the developers were being lazy. And even when they tried to do something new (which would have A LOT of potential) Suikoden IV felt very rushed. There was little to explore, little to no characterization in ANY of the characters, the idea for the story was good but the manner in which it was told made it not seem that way.
The towns and island nations are small. There really wasn't much to the "war" either.

Who was it that left?
The scenario writer? The script writer? Someone important like that. Well, it shows. Suikoden IV is subpar as an RPG and a Suikoden game.
The only thing I feel they did right was the nice assortment of mini-games.
Sasari

Post by Sasari »

Suikoden IV was rushed yes, but was not a complete disappointment in my opinion. Personally I take in every Suikoden game and attempt to look at them all in a positive way. There is absolutely no use in griping and groaning over what the game could have been, or what you wish was impletmented. Once the game is finished its finished. We should all just enjoy the ride of Suikoden for what it is, a great gaming experience and Suikoden IV has done nothing but add to the great experience of what Suikoden is as a whole.
Mad_Lucied99

Post by Mad_Lucied99 »

nobody is perfect and you can apply that in every single games......you can still find even a small glitch or something that you just don't like.......so this game is not that bad.......not very good either.
Beat suiko I, II, IV, and V......
jonathan_priest

Well

Post by jonathan_priest »

The problem isn't comparing this game to the other Suikoden's, the problem is viewing this game as a whole. Certainly, I picked up this game because of the Suikoden title, but I don't judge it on its merits in comparison to its predecessors. Simply put, this game was a torturous experimentation in futility. With every game to this point, SI, SII, and SIII, I've beaten at least 10 times a piece, even III which wasn't a great game but certainly fun, because I felt the replayablity was well worth the effort. Suiko IV, I beat once, started working on a second play through and put it away. That was about all I could bear of the game, beating it once. The story was weak, the war was pathetic, the characters were underdeveloped and the amount of battles were insane. All this combined made for a very unpleasant gaming experience. As a Suikoden game or as a stand alone RPG, I was just not at all pleased to play this game.
"It doesn't matter if the glass is half empty or half full...what matters is the glass."
MatildaWhiteKnightLeader

Post by MatildaWhiteKnightLeader »

yea they could be doing a star wars thing where the next 3 games after suikoden 3 are set before suikoden 1, who knows? hehe
Strategy is the key to victory!
Sun of a Studio

Post by Sun of a Studio »

There are a few things I would have liked to see in Suikoden IV but I don't want to voice too many of them since I'm new here and everything I feel has probably already been said a million times. But I just started playing IV yesterday and I wasn't thrilled. I was very upset that the game doesn't feel like Suikoden, and how the main character looks like a girl and runs like an old man with a load in his pants, but I have to think of it this way; When I first played Suikoden II after beating the first one, I didn't like it because the main hero didn't come back. But after playing it awhile and getting past the first couple hours I realized how great it was. Then I was upset when Suikoden III wasn't like Suikoden II or I, but after finally beating it today I realized it was a really great game. It wasn't up to par with the first two but it was good. I liked the major battle system more because it forced you to level up every character and gave them all a purpose instead of the army to automatically being stronger as you progress the game.

So I have come to realize after playing a little today. Suikoden IV isn't bad. I'm not that far through it but I'm very hopeful that it will go smoothly. I realize that nothing will match my expections because I expect almost a complete carbon copy of the very first Suikoden. I try to approach Suikoden video games not as, "The original Suikoden's sequel" but, "A video game". So far Suikoden IV has potential and I believe it will live up to being a good game, not great, but a good solid game. I just wish Jaques was in it :)
"If you can laugh at yourself everytime you fall down, people will think you're drunk"-Conan