Hate the final battle......

A forum to ask questions if you are stuck in the The Gate Rune Wars; or wish for more clarity on the gameplay systems.
Seink

Hate the final battle......

Post by Seink »

I was so disappointed when i have use Flik and Victor in my last battle. It might be true that they are both strong characters but they dont have any/good combo and magic tricks. All they ever do is sit around and absorb some damage.........
It's heavy for man to move the wheel of destiny but not impossible.
Asquian

final combo

Post by Asquian »

a relatively useful final battle combo is flik, vik, alen, grenseal, kai, and tir. Give Vik clone room and plenty of medicine and he's a good attack/heal battery, give flik a healing rune like flowing. That way you've got some good unite attacks.

btw, put vik in back row
Last edited by Asquian on Tue Jun 29, 2004 8:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
Sonya -cat

Great RPGs never die, they just get more expensive -Me
Stallion

Post by Stallion »

I normally end up with Flik in the back row - this is annoying on the way to the boss as i'm down one hit, but it means that I can take Valeria and Ronnie Bell in the front.

Flik in the back becomes the healer, and I have a Viktor with Double-Beat ( I dislike Clone, as his criticals are stronger and don't unbalance... )

Ronnie Bell and Pahn's unite is really strong here, so Pahn normally sits at the back aswell.
ashlington

Post by ashlington »

It didnt bother me too much as i liked Victor with the powerful Star Dragon Sword and I had Alen and Grenseal with Flik for the Pretty Boy Attack. As long as you have Crowley in your party with a flowing rune, you should never die as you can fully heal the party on every turn(about 8 times i think) by which time you should have defeated the Hydra.
Lo Wen

Post by Lo Wen »

Big tip: Don´t bring Pesmerga and Viktor at the same time to the last battle!

I was driving myself insane when I was forced to bring Viktor (for the record: I don´t like Viktor). Because he and Pesmerga couldn´t hit ANY of the guards!
50 guards + Pesmerga and Viktor =
Pesmerga: Miss.
Viktor: Miss.
Guards: Damage to Viktor and Pesmerga.
Kirkis and Stallion: Attack all Guards (finish of all guards?)
Me: Refill Viktor and Pesmergas HP.
Next battle.
Pesmerga: Miss.
Viktor: Miss.
Guards: Damage to Viktor and Pesmerga.
Kirkis and Stallion: Attack all Guards (finish of all guards?)
Me: Refill Viktor and Pesmergas HP.

And forever and ever going on until Pesmerga and Viktor easily kills of the last boss! :evil:
Faust

Post by Faust »

Well Viktor is a powerhouse and Flik is a pretty good all round character.

I'd have liked to have used some other characters too, but storywise it makes perfect sense. Viktor and Flik were two of the original Liberation Army leaders. Odessa died, and Humphrey seems to have had a kind of Flik-Croney role alongside Sanchez, so those two were the main guys. It's fitting that they go and see the end of the Empire.

My favourite type of character in the series are swordsmen who're good with magic. Milich and Sonya are key examples of this, and are characters I tend to always bring to the final battle (my last five or so playthroughs anyway). Flik, while he may not be as good with magic, is excellent if you equip him with a Thunder rune. Plus, he can use a shield - a rarity - for a lot of extra defence, making him capable of absorbing some damage too. Sonya with Flowing, Flik with Thunder and Milich with Cyclone, coupled with a hard hitting Viktor with a double-beat rune (I can't see why people give him the clone rune, which does 1.5x damage and makes you unbalanced for a turn, so effectively 0.75x a turn, when a double-beat rune from eikei makes viktor do 2x damage EVERY turn as he hits twice!), and an M range character who can do some damage, like Kwanda with a championship Rune to avoid annoying "Let Go" fights, and you have a great team! It'd have been nice to experiment more - for example, by bringing Kasim along too and having all four remaining generals vs the Emperor - but Viktor and Flik don't cause too many complaints from me.
Solamen miseris socios habuisse doloris
Yuber

Post by Yuber »

the reason people give him the clone rune is cas its hard to find the double beat rune and i've never found it on suikoden 1 yet and btw the clone rune does 2 x damage not 1.5
KFCrispy
Global Admin

Post by KFCrispy »

Clone Rune and Boar Rune and other 2x + unbalance runes average 1x dmg per round, but their advantage is it allows an extra turn to heal if needed and the S characters can use it from the back row, and the disadvantage is u're giving up the chance of criticals.

Double-Beat is definitely my rune of choice for Viktor. i don't know if the wpn runes get added to special atks like Clone.. i know in S2 it doesn't, so you might as well have fire or lightnings on Viktor since he's permanent, and the Double-Beat would do more than the Clone rune each time (but less vs one of the Hydra heads..)

also, some characters with those special 2x runes are superior because they do not cause unbalance.. Stallion, you said you had to stick Flik in the back to put Valeria and Ronnie in the front? both those women can continuously use their runes from the back row, so .. yeah. your loss :P
Faust

Post by Faust »

The clone rune does 2x damage? Oh, my mistake. I assumed it did 1.5x damagewise.

Well, I guess the clone rune is ok in that it concentrates two turns of damage into one turn, allowing the second turn to be used for an item. HOWEVER - it negates the possibility of critical hits - which seem to occur a LOT in Suikoden 1. Then again, it doesn't allow the enemy to evade either so it''s ok. It basically just allows an extra third turn every two turns, so long as that turn is spent on using an item. Not VERY exciting.
the reason people give him the clone rune is cas its hard to find the double beat rune and i've never found it on suikoden 1 yet
Eikei has one. The martial arts guy who only likes STRONG people!
also, some characters with those special 2x runes are superior because they do not cause unbalance.. Stallion, you said you had to stick Flik in the back to put Valeria and Ronnie in the front? both those women can continuously use their runes from the back row, so .. yeah. your loss
Hehe yeah, Valerie is amazing. I always made the mistake of placing her in the front row during the dwarf section and hitting "auto fight" a lot. The enemy died pretty quickly anyway, but it was always a WASTE not to use her bloody excellent rune. I honestly can't see the point of ever using someone like Pahn if you have someone like Valerie also.
Solamen miseris socios habuisse doloris
True Griever

Post by True Griever »

A double beat rune put on Viktor is very good on bosses, but dangerous on random enemies especially those soldiers in Gregminster, who evade almost everything.
silentstephi

Post by silentstephi »

Interesting -

So far, the general flow of things, people seem to like the heavy hitters more than the magic users for the final battle. My usual six is

Hero - Soul Eater
Viktor - Holy Rune
Flik - Thunder Rune
Cleo - Rage Rune
Crowley - Cyclone Rune
Rubi - Flowing Rune

I just beat the heads with magic, and when I find out which one is immune, just smack it with the guys in front. Rubi is an insanely good elf to have, since when you get him he's got all 4 magic slots ready and waiting. I keep Cleo simply because she's been with me most of the game, and even though i don't think it has much plot basis, there is a reason Leknaat gave her a Fire Cyrstal in the first place, ya know? Crowley goes without saying, I mean, he's got 100 runes trapped inside him! (BTW if anyone knows where that story is, let me know!)

Oh and Holy on Viktor - I give him the Power Gloves and Power Ring, plus any strngth runes, he's strong enough, and I don't feel like walking all the way to Barbosa. :P
"I reject your reality and substitute my own!"

~Adam Savage

http://www.silentstephi.com

Come Watch
Black Monday

Post by Black Monday »

silentstephi wrote: Hero - Soul Eater
Viktor - Holy Rune
Flik - Thunder Rune
Cleo - Rage Rune
Crowley - Cyclone Rune
Rubi - Flowing Rune
I just completed it again and that is the exact same set up I used!!!!!! :o :D

I take that back, I couldn't lay my hands on a Rage Rune so Cleo had the Mother Earth Rune :)

I'd been through Sonya's Fortress with a Fortune rune on Viktor because I knew I'd want him with the Holy Rune in Gregminster, Cleo and Rubi were in my group because I knew they were good magic users with decent STR and Crowley was just fun (though pretty useless againdt the Hydra in retrospect). It'd been so long since I played it that I couldn't remember who else was good.

PS. It's taken me years to get hold of a copy of Suikoden 1 again (Thank you Ebay) and having just completed it I was wondering, what extras, besides the McDohl secret, are carried over? I'll admit I was disappointed when my level 60 Viktor was all of a sudden level 25 on Suikoden 2 (The dreamer in me was hoping the levels would carry over :D )
Pyro

Post by Pyro »

i didn't mind vik or flik,viktor had a mother earth rune,flik had thunder,cleo had flowing,luc had cyclone,crowley had rage,tir had his and they all had level 4 magic which means all combos
Eagles May Soar But Weasels Don't Get Sucked Into Jet Engines.
Mymiridion

Post by Mymiridion »

my party this time around was:

Pesmerga- Champions Rune (yeah its useless but there was nothing else to give him)
Viktor- Double-Beat
Flik- Thunder Rune
Hero- Soul Eater
Cleo- Flowing Rune
Clive- Mother Earth Rune

suprisingly Clive's magic did fairly well. I didnt really need him to do that great because Pesmerga was doing most of the damage anyway. For some reason he was doing criticals like crazy, and Viktor was good with attacking as well. I guess these guys worked for me with no problem because i like Viktor and Flik.
KFCrispy
Global Admin

Post by KFCrispy »

Stallion wrote:Ronnie Bell and Pahn's unite is really strong here, so Pahn normally sits at the back aswell.
actually it's a 2x unite and Pahn gets unbalanced, so while it looks super cool, it's the same using their runes. in fact, the unite is just them using their runes on one guy simultaneously. so no benefit from bringing both really.

as for Viktor and Pesmerga missing all of the time, you have to work on their Tech/Skill. i forgot if things boost that stat in this game, but if there are, use them...