Suikoden II NPC Dialogue

If you are stuck in the Dunan Unification Wars; or wish for more details on the gameplay systems, this is the place.
wataru14
Guide Writer

Suikoden II NPC Dialogue

Post by wataru14 »

So, as seen in the "Didn't Upload" thread, I've been working on compiling the complete game script to S2, along with all NPC dialogue. To avoid comandeering that thread, I created a new one. I'll post any interesting findings here, but it will be slow going. Right now I'm in the recruitment drive after Kyaro and exploring Greenhill.

- Muse City (not counting shopkeepers) has 40 to 50 people! That will take some time.
- The people of Toto don't seem to change their lines.
- Ryube has at least three full sets of lines already (trip with Gengen/before Eilie's show/after Eilie's show)
- Kyaro has two (pre and post Nanami)
- You can access the Level 5 Blacksmith in Coronet while the Level 4 one in Muse is still closed.
- The item shopkeeper in Ryube is horrible. Her kid just wants to see the show, dammit! He gets so sad.
- The soldier's family in Ryube is heartwarming.
Raww Le Klueze
Global Admin

Re: Suikoden II NPC Dialogue

Post by Raww Le Klueze »

wataru14 wrote: Sat Jan 13, 2024 5:23 pm
- The people of Toto don't seem to change their lines.
The shopkeeper has special dialogue if you talk to them behind the counter with Jowy in the party, there's a child that doesn't appear before reuniting with Jowy talking about Pilika being home or not, Pilika can also be found in her house before you reunite with Jowy where she wonders where her "big brother" is, despite all other translations having her call him "uncle".
- Kyaro has two (pre and post Nanami)
It will change again after beating the game as well.
Doctorum Non Urina Singulus.
wataru14
Guide Writer

Post by wataru14 »

Raww Le Klueze wrote: Sun Jan 14, 2024 2:18 am The shopkeeper has special dialogue if you talk to them behind the counter with Jowy in the party, there's a child that doesn't appear before reuniting with Jowy talking about Pilika being home or not, Pilika can also be found in her house before you reunite with Jowy where she wonders where her "big brother" is, despite all other translations having her call him "uncle".
I got the kid at Pilika's house and Pilika. Didn't get the shopkeeper. I'll get that when I do the plot there. Thanks!
wataru14
Guide Writer

Post by wataru14 »

- Greenhill was just as bad as Muse. Although luckily I don't think much will change until after Liberation.
- There are two wandering soldiers and a wandering dog at the Mercenary Fort that cannot be interacted with. They will walk around you if you try.
- North Sparrow Pass has State guards at first (and there's a funny scene with Nanami where she tries to pull a Rina move if you bring her to talk to them). They are replaced by Highland soldiers after Toto.
- You can get the two mid-level recipes in Greenhill right after returning to the Merc Fort after Kyaro. The early cookoffs will be fun.

The text dump is very cool, although I have to spend some time cleaning it before I can dive into it. And it's very strange. There are some sequences that only appear in one file, but others that appear in 5 or 6. The Unicorn Brigade Camp and Kyaro have a dozen files between them, all with the same dialogue (although I haven't checked too deeply for differences). One file contains all the companion lines in L'Renouille's throne room, although it doesn't say who says what. Some are easy to figure out, but others aren't. Perhaps they're listed in the characters' in-game order? I'll have to check it out. I assume the other companion lines are buried in the other files (Greenhill/Rockaxe/Toto/etc.) but I haven't looked yet. And there are about 14 files of ambient castle dialogue. There are no attributions in any of the files, so that will be an undertaking to figure out. There are also two files of nothing but symbols, so I guess those are the untranslated trade hints.

On a side note, when does Ryube start to rebuild? After the castle is acquired? I have to go there and check their lines at some point, but I don't know exactly when it's available.
Julian

Post by Julian »

The text repeats in multiple modules for a multitude of reasons. Some make some sense (different versions of mercenary fort), others are just... Who knows.

You need to parse the event scripts to figure out which pieces of dialog are used, and who they belong to.
Antimatzist

Post by Antimatzist »

One file contains all the companion lines in L'Renouille's throne room, although it doesn't say who says what.
Suikosource got you covered.

https://suikosource.com/games/gs2/scene ... strune.php

Here's Tinto.

https://suikosource.com/games/gs2/scene ... escape.php

I think Greenhill is doable manually, there aren't too many characters you can take with you.
wataru14
Guide Writer

Post by wataru14 »

Fantastic!
wataru14
Guide Writer

Post by wataru14 »

Doing the Muse City sequence. All new lines for most of the people... oy!

On a side note, going through the test dump shows several versions of the Unicirn Brigade camp with slight differences. Most repeated text is the same across multiple files, but that one has differences. Also, Pohl has a TON of alternate lines during the flint/boots/flour thing based on giving him incomplete lists. I have to see if they're all implemented. He even has one in the dump if you threw out the boots before going to him.
Pyriel
Webmaster

Post by Pyriel »

wataru14 wrote: Mon Jan 15, 2024 3:43 am - Greenhill was just as bad as Muse. Although luckily I don't think much will change until after Liberation.
- There are two wandering soldiers and a wandering dog at the Mercenary Fort that cannot be interacted with. They will walk around you if you try.
- North Sparrow Pass has State guards at first (and there's a funny scene with Nanami where she tries to pull a Rina move if you bring her to talk to them). They are replaced by Highland soldiers after Toto.
- You can get the two mid-level recipes in Greenhill right after returning to the Merc Fort after Kyaro. The early cookoffs will be fun.

The text dump is very cool, although I have to spend some time cleaning it before I can dive into it. And it's very strange. There are some sequences that only appear in one file, but others that appear in 5 or 6. The Unicorn Brigade Camp and Kyaro have a dozen files between them, all with the same dialogue (although I haven't checked too deeply for differences). One file contains all the companion lines in L'Renouille's throne room, although it doesn't say who says what. Some are easy to figure out, but others aren't. Perhaps they're listed in the characters' in-game order? I'll have to check it out. I assume the other companion lines are buried in the other files (Greenhill/Rockaxe/Toto/etc.) but I haven't looked yet. And there are about 14 files of ambient castle dialogue. There are no attributions in any of the files, so that will be an undertaking to figure out. There are also two files of nothing but symbols, so I guess those are the untranslated trade hints.

On a side note, when does Ryube start to rebuild? After the castle is acquired? I have to go there and check their lines at some point, but I don't know exactly when it's available.
I haven't looked at these files, but if they're the ones I generated, they'll have the file names they originated from in them near the top. All the trade hints are in UWASA*.BIN files. There's only 1 & 2 as I recall. There's even more untranslated dialogue than we realized in the files. Some of it is unused, but there are some used lines in the NTSC version that were left untranslated. They might even be untranslated in the PAL versions. They're things like random lines that NPCs you're unlikely to bring with you will say before battles and such. I have screenshots of Gadget saying one of them before heading up to what's-his-face's office in Rockaxe
gadget_gibberish.jpg

As to the copied lines, we know that happened during localization when they ran up against the hard-limit for module/overlay sizes. They'd just copy a file, and edit what was needed. Them doing that is what caused the Tinto Glitch. I'd say it's a fairly safe bet that the same approach was used during initial development. If they never tore the text arrays down to scratch, or never cleaned up the unneeded lines, that's all it would take to make the mess we see.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
wataru14
Guide Writer

Post by wataru14 »

Apparently the flour in the Mercenary Fort was (at some point) supposed to be treated like the Flints. There are unused lines for the Shopkeeoer saying "How many bags do you need?" and reactions by Pohl.
JiN88

Post by JiN88 »

The most interesting one I found was in VH13-VH16. Some cut quest involving Gengen and Gabocha, some item, and pest rat all over town. It seems to suggest the time Riou and co. going into the sewer was somewhat different than the final product.
wataru14
Guide Writer

Post by wataru14 »

I just recruited Shu. Once I can access South Window again I'll check on the lesson lady and Cave of the Wind kids again. I got their first lines already.

I'm also trying to collect a full game script (Runes help.me) because I've never really seen one online like I have for 1. Which will make going muuuuuch slower since this game is a lot talkier than 1, by far.

...........The constant... elipses... in... everyone's lines... is beginning... t, too... drive me... crazy.

People also have quite a fondness for "Well, anyway..."

The text dump also has a lot of "........." and "waaaaaah" in early scenes. Thanks, Pilika. You're really making things easy here.

In the Unicorn Brigade Camp, there are a few different versions of scenes with Rowd that I don't remember seeing in game. They vary only slightly, but one has him saying something like "disobeying orders is a serious crime." Jowy also has a few different "the enemy must know that going east is..." lines. Like 4 of them.
TheyCallMeStacy

Post by TheyCallMeStacy »

wataru14 wrote: Mon Jan 22, 2024 10:33 pm I just recruited Shu. Once I can access South Window again I'll check on the lesson lady and Cave of the Wind kids again. I got their first lines already.

I'm also trying to collect a full game script (Runes help.me) because I've never really seen one online like I have for 1. Which will make going muuuuuch slower since this game is a lot talkier than 1, by far.

...........The constant... elipses... in... everyone's lines... is beginning... t, too... drive me... crazy.

People also have quite a fondness for "Well, anyway..."

The text dump also has a lot of "........." and "waaaaaah" in early scenes. Thanks, Pilika. You're really making things easy here.

In the Unicorn Brigade Camp, there are a few different versions of scenes with Rowd that I don't remember seeing in game. They vary only slightly, but one has him saying something like "disobeying orders is a serious crime." Jowy also has a few different "the enemy must know that going east is..." lines. Like 4 of them.
Haha hopefully the remaster addressed these issues with a better translation.

And yeah, I know some changes in dialogue is if you don't follow Rowd's order and go east first, but instead immediately head to the waterfall. But if there's that many lines, not sure if you can see all of them in game. It's possible they had more scenarios in mind for those alternate lines, but cut them.
wataru14
Guide Writer

Post by wataru14 »

It's really interesting seeing the little side stories unfolding among the townspeople as the story progresses. I just finished recruiting after Two River and I'm about to debrief with Shu. I've gotten three different responses from the lesson lady in South Window (flower arranging, dancing, and ceremony). There are also two elderly bonsai rivals in town. Kuskus has an old man who can't remember who you are and keeps asking you if you're different people. His second line asks if you're Old Man Jimo's little girl.

The changes seem a bit more organized than in 1, as well. When a major event happens, it seems to change dialogue across the board. 1 had it more in drips and drabs. And there are only a handful of people still saying their default lines now. And another cool thing. If a character talks about a recruitable person, they will change their line once you recruit them (mostly... sometimes it takes a bit). Not like 1 where they keep talking about Liukan untill endgame.
KingSpilly

Post by KingSpilly »

Reminds me of my last playthrough, where I noticed a girl in Kyaro that I'm pretty sure is Rowd's sister. She never mentions Rowd by name but mentions that her big brother is saving up to take her to a doctor. She's no longer in Kyaro at the end of the game, implying that Rowd took her with him when he ran off.
"I'm a deeply flawed individual, but I bring joy to the world." -Tequila Sunset