Suikoden II NPC Dialogue

If you are stuck in the Dunan Unification Wars; or wish for more details on the gameplay systems, this is the place.
TheyCallMeStacy

Re: Suikoden II NPC Dialogue

Post by TheyCallMeStacy »

Nice finds. Are you going to try to get all of the dialogues where characters in your party comment on certain events? Obviously would be great to have, but would be time consuming to compile them all, especially since I think in some cases what slot they are in also shapes what they say.

And haha true, though to be fair Liukan was taken away from his private residence by Milich, and even Joshua couldn't find him, and didn't know he joined the Liberation Army. So i guess it's fitting that random villagers wouldn't know he did either.
JiN88

Post by JiN88 »

The blind girl was confirmed to be Rowd's sister and there was even something planned that he was indeed trying save money for her.
Raww Le Klueze
Global Admin

Post by Raww Le Klueze »

JiN88 wrote: Mon Jan 29, 2024 8:31 am The blind girl was confirmed to be Rowd's sister
By whom and where? Last time I saw any dev discussion of the blind girl in Kyaro they very specifically would not confirm or deny that she was Rowd's sister.
Doctorum Non Urina Singulus.
JiN88

Post by JiN88 »

https://shmuplations.com/suikodenii/
(Just find ROWD)

Well, you're kinda right since they didn't confirm or deny it was his sister but the interview was very much heavily implied it was along with his motivation.
wataru14
Guide Writer

Post by wataru14 »

Took a bit of a break since I was getting burned out a little. But now I'm back in Greenhill.

- Apparently you can leave the city and return with no issues during the mission.
- Everyone seems to say the same thing that they said if you came here during the Two River mission.
- The dorm attendant seems to be very chatty. She's had several lines pop up in the mornings before you go outside to meet Flik.
- The man in the Rowd/Inn scene looks like the innkeeper, but the woman doesn't appear anywhere in the inn. Only in that scene.
- Ryube starts rebuilding after Highland retreats from South Window. The item shop owner survived... but her kid didn't. Ouch. Bet she regrets not letting him see Eilie's performance now, huh?

And on a side note, I've been looking through the text dump and trying to organize it. In Coronet, there seems to be a whole little story about the cat named Myu held by the kid on the docks. It looks like it ends with her having kittens.
wataru14
Guide Writer

Post by wataru14 »

Just got back from Gregminster.

- South Window and the surrounding areas changed again (making it 4 separate sets of lines so far and counting.
- I'm guessing Gregminster and Banner won't change much (except for maybe during the McDohl quest) since their lines are either generic or talk about past events as opposed to current. Not looking forward to running back to check.
- The last section has had an annoyingly high number of Random Companion Lines (Sigfried recruitment, all of Greenhill, the rando who wakes you up...). That will be most daunting to discern from the text dump.

The castle HQ has been the biggest issue so far. In addition to constantly adding more people when you gain a new facility or the castle changes levels, some people will also disappear as the castle changes shape. For example, at Castle Level 2, there is a lone soldier in the dojo off the barracks. When the castle is Level 3, he is gone and is replaced by six human and three kobold soldiers in formation. Other random people come and go and my notes are bad about which "Man in Brown" or "Blonde Woman" said what. Early game has one "Man" hanging around the shops, but by Level 3 there are four of them. I had planned to do a second playthrough after this one is finished and I compare everything to the text dump, but now I have to put extreme focus on the castle HQ to make heads or tails of my poor notes.

I'm making progress, but this will be a long time coming.
wataru14
Guide Writer

Post by wataru14 »

Got up to the Big Choice in Tinto. Saved state right before it in a secondary slot so I can come back after finishing and play through sans Ridley. But I noticed some new things.

- I finally saw that special scene with Shu before the Luca Blight battle. I never saw it before. I read "Speak to Shu in his room the night before the Luca Blight Battle" as "Speak to Shu before the Night Raid," which you can't do. So I always thought I was doing something wrong. It's very cool, and Apple waking you up with words of encouragement instead of more "blah blah, I want to run away" crap from Nanami is always appreciated.
- I found out that if you leave Gustav's office and follow Jess after he accuses you of killing Anabelle, you can see a special scene with him and Hauser in the foyer. It's nothing special, and after Hauser leaves it has the same lines as when Jess confronts you outside the bedroom just after. That scene does not trigger if you already encountered him downstairs.
- The cookoff with Antonio is the same whether you win or lose. You still get the recipe, Gyokuran still shows up, and all the lines are the same either way. I'm guessing you can lose and still continue with the cookoffs. It's possible Lester's is the same, but I'll have to see.
- Riou has some extremely dickish comment options, especially during recruitment scenes.
- The second Lenkaat scene (in Tinto) can be skipped if you go talk to Nanami before going to bed.
- I'm up to six or seven different sets of villager lines in South Window. And they don't all change at the same time. As Raww said, Kuskus and Radat have a ton, as well. The whole Two River Region seems to be finished, though. Nothing new in quite a while. Same with Forest Village

There are a lot of extra hidden things I missed out on that I have to do in my next playthrough.
- See if you can recruit Rikimaru in Coronet after making him wash dishes in Ryube.
- See if Kinnison and Shiro will come back if you refuse to tell them about your mission.
- See what Raura says if you haven't recruited Jeane (or if she shows up at all).
- See what Wakaba says if you're not Level 30 (if it's the same as her pre-recruitment-window lines)
- Not having enough money for Richmond in Radat
- Failing each step of the Clive quest after Lakewest.
- Doing the McDohl quest with Gremio and Pahn dead to see Ellie's version (not looking forward to THAT one... it's a LOT of backplaying). And also to see what Lester says after his cookoff if there's no Gremio. There's also a woman in Gregminster who refers to him teaching her how to make stew. I have to see if she has an alternate line.
- I tried to lose the battle with the Griffins when recruiting Feather and Ayda, but since I hyperleveled to be able to breeze through encounters while collecting dialogue, they were only doing 2 damage per hit and I didn't have the patience to let them grind me down. I'll have to avoid excess leveling next time.
Raww Le Klueze
Global Admin

Post by Raww Le Klueze »

wataru14 wrote: Fri Feb 23, 2024 4:43 am - See if Kinnison and Shiro will come back if you refuse to tell them about your mission.
Yes.

Kinnison: "You're the one from before....
What are you doing here?
Oh, that's right,
you can't say....."

(choice) "Yes. I can't say."

Kinnison: "Sure I understand.
Anyway, good luck.
We'll be here in the forest."
- See what Raura says if you haven't recruited Jeane (or if she shows up at all).
Raura has two lines that are not part of the normal recruitment set, how they are used or even if at all I can't say but the placement suggests you don't fulfill the requirements to recruit her yet, though she might simply not show up until you do in the final game.

"That's strange...
The letter says that
this is the place...
Damn Jeane..."

and

"Strange... everyone we ask says
'I don't know any castle
like that'... A castle can't
be that small, can it..."

This one seems likely to be unused as there's no scenario I can think of where Raura would know about your castle beforehand, it's possible her recruitment was originally more involved like Hortez's in S3 and it's a remnant of telling her about the castle and her still not finding it or they anticipated a scenario where she already knew Jeane went there.
- See what Wakaba says if you're not Level 30 (if it's the same as her pre-recruitment-window lines)
"It may be my inexperience,
but... I can't tell how strong
you are. I'm sorry."
- Not having enough money for Richmond in Radat
"Hey hey, you don't have 1,500
potch in your bag, do you?
I know that too, of course.
Try to save up, sonny."
- I tried to lose the battle with the Griffins when recruiting Feather and Ayda
"I couldn't protect it...
I am no Guardian...!"

- Recruitment -

Ayda: "You...?"

(choice) "Join us."

Ayda: "Your power...
The power to protect others...
I will add my power to yours."

-character get chime-

"Riou...
I pray that you will put
an end to this fighting..."
- Doing the McDohl quest with Gremio and Pahn dead
Pretty sure Pahn will have miraculously resurrected with no one mentioning it.
wataru14
Guide Writer

Post by wataru14 »

Raww Le Klueze wrote: Fri Feb 23, 2024 12:47 pm Pretty sure Pahn will have miraculously resurrected with no one mentioning it.
Yeah, they do that a lot in 2. Lots of people who can be dead show up.

But thanks for the other stuff!!!

Do you know when Hans will return after charging him to open the store?
Raww Le Klueze
Global Admin

Post by Raww Le Klueze »

There's some sort of timer depending on how much you asked him for but I don't know the specifics.
wataru14
Guide Writer

Post by wataru14 »

Raww Le Klueze wrote: Fri Feb 23, 2024 12:47 pm Kinnison: "Sure I understand.
Anyway, good luck.
We'll be here in the forest."
I didn't get that. He said,

"Really? Well, I'm sure you have reasons. Anyway, thanks for saving the baby bird. Let's go, Shiro."
Raww Le Klueze
Global Admin

Post by Raww Le Klueze »

Yeah, the first time.

You asked about if he came back though, that's what he says if you still won't tell him.

wataru14
Guide Writer

Post by wataru14 »

Lol. I completely missed the "you're the one from before" part of the line. Skimmed right to the end part.
Thanks!
wataru14
Guide Writer

Post by wataru14 »

Liberated Rockaxe and now I'm running around checking everyone in the dozen or so villages and towns.

- The small villages do have some changes, but it's mostly only one or two people. Most have just their standard line.
- I've noticed several people whose lines change only slightly. Like they basically say the same thing, but with slight gramatical changes. Or with an additional bit added on to the end. So I might have missed some thinking it was the same line I had already logged.

I should beat the game in the next day or two. Then comes Phase 2, comparing it to the text dump to see what I don't have logged. Then Phase 3 is another playthrough to find where those lines could be... and to find the alternate scenes I didn't trigger (Raura without recruiting Jeane and such).
wataru14
Guide Writer

Post by wataru14 »

And on a side note, some of the comments in Liberated Matilda are pretty dark. A lot of the people are not happy with the Army being there. All of the knights in town are gone, presumably killed. Several families will talk about how their father (whose sprite is gone from the house) died in battle. And an old man who supports you during your first visit to Rockaxe has been executed by Highland for trying to flee the city during the battle. Pretty grim stuff.