can any of the 108 stars permanently die during army battles?

A forum to ask questions if you are stuck in the The Gate Rune Wars; or wish for more clarity on the gameplay systems.
dap

can any of the 108 stars permanently die during army battles?

Post by dap »

I've read a bunch of topics about stars such as Luc dying in army battles but could never reproduce.

I just tested at the battle against Sonya and deliberately lost as many troops as possible, I ended with 3000 troops and checked table and no star greyed out besides Gremio, so how does it work exactly or do people have just too much imagination and talking nonsense online?
Raww Le Klueze
Global Admin

Re: can any of the 108 stars permanently die during army battles?

Post by Raww Le Klueze »

https://suikosource.com/games/gs1/guide ... attles.php
Death Quotes
Only certain characters can die in the major battles in Suikoden 1, those that cannot are in at least one of four catagories.

The fifteen characters in the Other groups in the battles
Any character with seperated story appearances in the game, thus Valeria can die since all her essential scenes revolve around the build up to and capture of Pannu Yakuta castle, but Sylvina cannot die because she appears at Pannu Yakuta and in the main hall before the Last Battle.
They provide a service in the castle.
They change the layout of the castle in some way.

When a character dies or is wounded in battle their picture comes up with their quote, which is the same for death and wounding.

Then Mathiu states "Here's the report. ______ was wounded./died in battle." depending on which outcome has transpired.
Doctorum Non Urina Singulus.
dap

Post by dap »

how does it happen though? someone figured out the mechanics or is it completely random?
Vextor
Global Admin

Post by Vextor »

It's random as far as I am aware.
Julian

Post by Julian »

If you choose the "wrong" option (attack vs magic, archer vs attack, magic vs archer):

The game counts how many characters in that unit can die. If that number is greater than 0, there is a 90% chance something happens.

The game takes the characters that can die in the group, and randomly picks one.

There is then a 45% chance the character is injured, 55% the character dies.

Side note, the logic for determining if a character can die is... very weird. Most other places they just have a table with a value, but it looks like they *really* wanted to save some space here for whatever reason.