Bug Fixes

If you are stuck in the Dunan Unification Wars; or wish for more details on the gameplay systems, this is the place.
Celes
Global Admin

Re: Bug Fixes

Post by Celes »

False descriptions:

Pale Palace (Blue Gate lv 3)
400 DMG
(description says 500 DMG)

Thunder Runner (Lightning lv 2; Thunder lv 1)
100 DMG
(description says 120 DMG)
Pyriel
Webmaster

Post by Pyriel »

Yeah, I was noticing the wonky descriptions as I went through the data at some point. Speaking of, what the heck does this mean?

ダミーの席法

Google translates it as the "the dummy's seat law", which I'm guessing is a horrible mangling of "dummy placeholder". It occurs seven times, so I expected it to be a meaningless placeholder to begin with, but holy crap, Google.

かり

There are a similar number of these. I get "borrowed". It's probably another placeholder (maybe it should be "reserved"?), but I'm sort of wondering if it might be like a redirect.

Code: Select all

0x0016	Thunder Runner
120 damage vs. 1 enemy column
Damage: 0x0064
Element:Lightning

0x0031 Pale Palace
500 damage to all enemies
Damage: 0x0190
Element:Non-Elemental
It should be easy enough to fix any of the descriptions. I need to a do a quick double-check, but I'm fairly certain that data is only in one file.
algol

Post by algol »

I started looking through the game with a hex editor today and fixed 2 text errors that always annoyed me. I did a simple search and replace on the Iso which might be sloppy but everything seems to have worked.

Replacing 1225290023151C1C with 3C2529004D151C1C fixes the lowercase buy and sell options in the shop menus.

Replacing 3D19221325221524 with 3D1922131C152400 changes Circuret to Circlet.
Raww Le Klueze
Global Admin

Post by Raww Le Klueze »

Pyriel wrote:Yeah, I was noticing the wonky descriptions as I went through the data at some point. Speaking of, what the heck does this mean?

ダミーの席法
Tricky. Not sure but it seems to be about rules for placing dummies cause it read something position method for dummy.
かり
Think that one is Temporary.
Doctorum Non Urina Singulus.
Pyriel
Webmaster

Post by Pyriel »

Sounds like the intent might be something like "template", for the first one.
Flufflez

Post by Flufflez »

this is great. i'm going to test out the most recent patch with a playthrough soon. i didn't see it in the patch notes, but did you include the translations that raww posted earlier in the thread? some of them have always bothered me and it would be nice to see them changed.
Pesmerga VS. Yuber

Post by Pesmerga VS. Yuber »

I am currently playing the game with your patch, and everything is going perfectly. I did have a crash or two, but that might be because of my emulator. It seems that Windows 7 does not like it. Also, in the fight with Rowd, at the beginning, his name is not there when you are choosing the enemy you want to fight. But it does appear after a few rounds.

Also, I have a suggestion. When you complete the Sindar ruins quest, Alex and Nanami have a conversation, but it seems that their sentences are swapped. This has been talked about before. It would be great if you could switch it? (This reminds me of another similar situation, where Victor comes running out of Muse later on, and the dialogue is all messed up).
Power?
Am I looking for Power?
Ever since...The first day I saw you...
I somehow knew...That we would be friends.
I was never lonely...Because you were there.
We chose...Life and death together.
I believed in you...Always...
Flufflez

Post by Flufflez »

maybe a new thread is in order for dialogue issues? i remember that there are a lot of problems with swapped sentences, translations that don't make sense, and also overall poor grammar (like incorrect tenses) that is likely due to translation issues.
Raww Le Klueze
Global Admin

Post by Raww Le Klueze »

There aren't any swapped lines, just poorly translated ones.
Celes
Global Admin

Post by Celes »

Instead there are several swapped avatars.

I believe the missing transfer of Tai Hos data is a bug too, but that one may be hard to fix.
Pyriel
Webmaster

Post by Pyriel »

None of the dialogue issues have been addressed yet, with the exception of the trade gossip text. That was a wholesale replacement, which is actually slightly easier than combing through every file in the game to find text issues. Those issues are what I'm working on now, but it's not going to be a fast turn-around. I'm working on developing a tool to view the scripts in context. Unfortunately, there's nothing to associate the various lines of dialogue with a particular character, outside of the scripts themselves, so I have to finish reverse-engineering the script commands to make this work. There's also nothing that gives a count of dialogues or anything like that, so even dumping the text "raw" is a bit of a crap shoot.

The text also requires re-encoding. That's something I've already done, but presenting it completely means recreating the game's font, which is what I'm doing now.

If you see a crash in Mt. Rakutei, it might be due to a mistake I made when I corrected the blueprints. I can't recall if I caught it before the last release or not.

Oh, and it's not that the avatars are swapped, at least not from the cases I've seen. The wrong person delivers the line, most likely because they assigned the dialogues by positions in the location's data. So your party are 0-7 (6 members and 2 convoy slots), and the remaining values identify people from there. All you have to do is forget that the convoy slots count, and Jowy should be 8 rather than 6, and suddenly Teresa says his line. That's my supposition anyway.
Raww Le Klueze
Global Admin

Post by Raww Le Klueze »

Neither avatar or lines are swapped. It's Teresa's line, the translator just thought it was Jowy's.

Text boxes don't just pop up on the screen, they originate from the person speaking. Exactly the same avatars appear in the exact same order in the original. It's just poorly translated.

She's supposed to tell Jowy that his wish is impossible to realize, though she knows that their refusal will cause those bows to weep all at once. As I already said.
Pyriel
Webmaster

Post by Pyriel »

Well, that works too. It makes slightly more sense than the localization team changing the ordering of the script around. I know of at least three cases where they made that particular blunder, though, and they're all in parts of the game that you have to play through. I always gave the benefit of the doubt that someone had shuffled around characters or something at the last minute, and hadn't been very thorough. This just means that they did about 0 quality assurance when they brought the game over.
Raww Le Klueze
Global Admin

Post by Raww Le Klueze »

QA? Ha! Konami wanted it done in a couple of weeks time, and they got it. Made by a too large team without context and with no help or direction from Konami. It's a miracle it's not more messed up than it is considering how much they had to guess at.

Konami asked for a cheap translation and that's what they got, and it's not like they couldn't have gotten a quality product if they wanted, the project leader was one of the better in the business. He also did Metal Gear Solid, difference was that that was a game Konami actually cared about.
BlueMage279

Post by BlueMage279 »

How sure are we about the Rowd battle freezing glitch being a PAL exclusive? My copy is the NA version and it just froze on me after fighting Rowd for well over half an hour. I'm also playing on a PS3 if that matters.