Proposal: I am considering wirting a new SV walkthrough.

A forum for people who have played the game concerning the Sun Rune War to answer gameplay questions.
Rooks

Proposal: I am considering wirting a new SV walkthrough.

Post by Rooks »

Hello all.

As the subject says, I am considering writing a new walkthrough for Suikoden V. While I think that Cyril's walkthrough is quite good, I just do not think that it is comprehensive enough for my taste, nor I think as expansive as the game deserves. So, here is a basic synopsis of what I would add in my own walkthrough. I am still on the fence as to whether to write it or not, so it depends on the response of the community; if there is a positive desire for a new walkthrough here then I might be convinced to do it.

I have written RPG walkthroughs before, for the .HACK//G.U. games, if anyone ever played those hahaha. So, I do have experience in the field.

Proposed Walkthrough:

--With detailed character information, written into the main walkthrough section, as characters are recruited or become available. This includes a basic overview of stats, with my personal opinion as to their usefulness in party and major battles. Plus, recommended skills and runes.

--With detailed Rune information including analysis and opinion on the rune's usefulness, as well as a rune family tree where possible.

--Point out commonly-missed treasures (such as the Stone of Strength at the pier in Estrise) and commonly missed dialogue and cutscenes which add depth to the story.

--Descriptions of consequences resulting from major dialogue choices. I doubt I would cover all the choices, just the ones that either had an impact on the game or led to a humorous scene.

--Info on how to use the Trade system to make money written into the walkthrough.

--Bath sequences, or at least the "missable," time-dependent ones, written into the walkthrough.

--Detailed character recruitment info. Including tricky characters like Killey.

I remember my first playthrough of the game, I remember recruiting Killey not long after the acquisition of my HQ. Most people seem to recruit him later, which is fine. However, I would need to play through again -obviously- to see how or if he can be recruited successfully at that point, or if I just remember incorrectly.

Anyway, I might think of some more additions later.

But I am concerned about whether or not the community would welcome a new walkthrough and whether or not people would find it useful. Please reply with you feelings.

Thank you
--Rooks
TrueWater00

Re: Proposal: I am considering wirting a new SV walkthrough.

Post by TrueWater00 »

Rooks I would welcome it with open arms!! I have beat every Suikoden game many times with the exception of V, I only beat it 2 times (I have played through it a lot but always got side tracked) I never use a walkthrough the first time around playing a video game, but after I beat it once, then its up for grabs to use a walkthrough!!, I would use yours for sure! :D
Heh,I'll make sure you can never make that grin again.I'll chop you up!Ground you up!Dry you in the sun!Break you to pieces!Bury you in the ground!Piss on you!Then i'll dig you up!Pull you!Stretch you!Drag you around!I'll Never Forgive You-Viktor
Raww Le Klueze
Global Admin

Post by Raww Le Klueze »

I wouldn't.

If I want detailed information on Runes I'll look in a Rune Guide. If I want detailed information on how to recruit people I'll look in a recruitment guide. If I want to know about bath scenes I'll look in a bath guide.

If I want to know how to progress in the game I'll look in a walkthrough. But I'm not going to wade through one to find peripherial information that already have dedicated guides.
Doctorum Non Urina Singulus.
TrueWater00

Post by TrueWater00 »

Well I did use Cyril's walkthrough, and if you put the time and effort into making your own walkthrough, like I said, I would support and use it, considering I support anything Suikoden, I think its needed to keep this series alive (since Konami doesn't do much) and rooks I know you are new here, so get used to me approving to something and Raww not, or vice versa, pretty much how that goes around here...lol
Heh,I'll make sure you can never make that grin again.I'll chop you up!Ground you up!Dry you in the sun!Break you to pieces!Bury you in the ground!Piss on you!Then i'll dig you up!Pull you!Stretch you!Drag you around!I'll Never Forgive You-Viktor
Rooks

Post by Rooks »

Raww, what you say is true for a lot of people. Many prefer a concise walkthrough, just in case they get stuck, and just general FAQs for runes and character recruitment. In that regard, Cyril's walkthrough seems like it would be a good choice for you.

On the other hand, I am not one of those people. Besides, the "Rune Guide" available on GameFAQs does not list strategies for rune use, such as combining the Power Rune and the Drain Rune (this can be helpful in the early game on your first play-through). Also, the "Character Evaluation Guide" -again on GameFAQs- I found to be not only a bit juvenile, but it does not even recommend Skills for each character. It just talks about each character for a short bit, then gives them a letter rank of D-A+.

Properly written, a walkthrough / guide enhances the experience of the game, not detracts from it, and that is what I am proposing to do.

And TrueWater, that is actually the main reason I am considering writing this new walkthrough. To do what I can to make some noise and hopefully turn new players onto the series.
TrueWater00

Post by TrueWater00 »

Yeah Rooks, I do everything I can, whether it be making all of my friends play Suikoden, making groups on facebook and myspace, whatever it takes, this series is too amazing to not be known about! and I say you go for it, I wish you the best of luck on making your walkthrough! :)
Palmguy

Post by Palmguy »

It's true that the Character thingy on Gamefaq isn't all that great... I do find it better than those for SuikoII (How could they give poor rating to Killey and Sheena!)
Raww Le Klueze
Global Admin

Post by Raww Le Klueze »

Rooks wrote:that is actually the main reason I am considering writing this new walkthrough. To do what I can to make some noise and hopefully turn new players onto the series.
Make some noise and attract new players? By making a walkthrough that by it's very definition will only be sought by people who are already playing the game?

Great plan.
Doctorum Non Urina Singulus.
TrueWater00

Post by TrueWater00 »

You're right Raww, It is a Great Plan, doing ANYTHING is better than nothing, he's making another walkthrough, that's another walkthrough that ANYBODY could see and use, I have true runes tattooed all over my body, now, nobody knows what they mean right? sure, but when they ask me I can tell them what its about. Making another walkthrough might not Directly throw Suikoden into someones face that hasn't played it yet, but hey, its better than Not doing anything to promote the game. so chill out.
Rooks

Post by Rooks »

Raww Le Klueze wrote:
Rooks wrote:that is actually the main reason I am considering writing this new walkthrough. To do what I can to make some noise and hopefully turn new players onto the series.
Make some noise and attract new players? By making a walkthrough that by it's very definition will only be sought by people who are already playing the game?

Great plan.
I really don't know what I've done to antagonize you. All I'm looking for here is a response from the community about whether or not they would like to see a new walkthrough for the game. I'm still undecided as to whether to write it, but enough favorable resposes from the community here and I just may.

Oddly, you seem to be far more emotionally invested in this subject than I. So invested in fact that you would go as far as to mock me -a fellow fan- for suggesting that a new walkthrough could help people enjoy the game more and might turn new fans onto the series. While I will admit I can do little, I feel I should do what I can -even if it amounts to nothing- because I love this series so much.

So, your voice has been heard, and I've taken what you have said into account. I do not see why you are so caught up emotionally about this, but one thing I will say is that I do not enjoy being mocked, and if you continue to do so, you might just inspire me to write the walkthrough simply just to spite whatever it is that makes you so hotheaded about his whole issue.
TrueWater00

Post by TrueWater00 »

Rooks, its just how he/she/it is, take what he/she/it says with a grain of salt, most on here do....anyways make the walkthrough if you feel like it, and continue to love and support Suikoden brother!
Hirathien

Post by Hirathien »

Raww gives you nothing else than plain facts, no need to wrap it up in wool, i mean, we're all adults here, right?
Rooks

Post by Rooks »

Hirathien wrote:Raww gives you nothing else than plain facts, no need to wrap it up in wool, i mean, we're all adults here, right?
As for Raww's first response, yes. For his second posting, no, I don't see that as a blunt truth so much as a childish mockery.

But that is beside the point here, I want more feedback from other people regarding whether or not they think a new SV walkthrough would be a good thing. So far, I've only received two clear answers. I'll give it another week or two to allow more people to see this thread and respond.
Palmguy

Post by Palmguy »

I say go for it. Those that wants/needs an other walkthrough than those that exist will be happy to have it and might use it, as for those who don't think it's useful well... it wont change anything to their lives that someone is making one. I'm with TrueWater00 here, the more Suikoden Stuff around, the better.
TrueWater00

Post by TrueWater00 »

PS, Rooks, don't mind a handful of Raww's fanboys.. Hirathien, for example, though sick to the stomach, and a bit pathetic....they have their right to post, I guess...but anyways, do your thing, pay no attention to losers. Suikoden Rules, end of story.