Best aspects of previous games for S6

A place to post news and also give your ideas about the future of the Suikoden series.
Please justify all speculations with reasons why you think such an event could happen.
Soul Eater

Best aspects of previous games for S6

Post by Soul Eater »

I thought this might be a fun idea.

Each Suikoden game so far has had it's strengths and weaknesses. If you would take all the best bits from previous games and put them together for the next, this would make it really great. I don't mean directly copy over, but in the same style e.g. taking place at sea, 6 character parties etc.

So what do you consider the best bits in the series for:

Hero type:
Rune type:
Geography/terrain:
Timeline:
Storyline:
Other major characters:
Returning characters:
Battle system:
Soul Eater

Re: Best aspects of previous games for S6

Post by Soul Eater »

I'll go first, as an example. I should point out that I haven't played S3 as it wasn't released here :cry:

Hero type: There isn't really a lot of choice with this. What I'd really like to see is someone older, like late 20s or 30s, or a female lead... unlikely, I fear. From the series so far, I hope it is someone from a poor background, after Frey in S6 it would make a nice change.

Rune type: I feel the hero should have a single (as in not part of a pair) True Rune, like the Soul Eater or Rune of Punishment. I think S5s rune setup was overly complicated. Hopefully not a 'dark' rune as those mentioned above have kind of overdone this. Maybe something that appears more neutral, like the Sun Rune.

Geography/terrain: Not overly water based, as it was featured quite havily in the last few games. Just an ordinary country with a single big river or a couple of lakes, more like S1 or S2. A lot of people seem to want Harmonia as a setting. I do, but I think it would be best to save this for the last game in the series and this is probably what Konami will do.

Timeline: With S1 - S3 taking place relatively close together, and now 5 also quite close, it feels to me like the final game should be take place a few years after 3. I don't want S6 to be the last game, so probably best for it to be some time between 4 and 5.

Storyline style: Something complex like S2. Needs betrayal, a war or two etc. I like it when there is a link to nearby countries like in S2 and S5. Better if they're countries we've visited before. Also 'grey areas', so it isn't simple good vs. evil, right vs. wrong.

Major characters: Carrying on from my previous point, not black and white. The people on your side should not always seem trustworthy (I thought Lucretia would betray you in 5) or by-the-book (Vikor in S1). Similarly, the main villans should not be like "HAHAHA KILL EVERYONE" like Luca in S6. That type of character should be used sparingly and not in a leading role, more like Childerich in S6. A more interesting villan is plotting, manipulative and intelligent.

I think the choice of strategist is important, simply because you interact with them at every major event, and they move the storyline along. Lucretia was an awful character - Her plans relied on doing something and hoping that some possible outcome would occur, while being confident (certain) that it would. The Godwins did too. She always kept you in the dark, which I can see why they did, to surprise the gamer, but it just came across as arrogant and ridiculous. A good strategist should be flawed. They should give you some wrong advise at least once in the game, and have some kind of demons that they must overcome. I liked Mathiu in S1 and the strategist in S4 (forget her name).

Returning characters: When I first played Suikoden 2 I was very pleased with all the returning charatcers. In retrospect, I feel there were too many for the series to be able to move along. In the later games, there weren't enough.. so probably halfway between S2 and the later games.

Battle system: Normal battles - just like S5. Same for 1 on 1 duels, these were excellent in 5. For major battles, 2 was my favorite. I dont think the real-time worked in the latest game. Atk/Def stats are good for units. 2 was pretty much perfect at the time, so they just need to modernise that.

Overall I think what they need to do with the series is start linking things up. 1-2-3 feels like the build up to a massive conflict involving Harmonia, Permerga, Yuber, true runes all coming together etc. 4 and Tactics broke away from this and it feels very separate. I think this should be for a reason, so 6, 7 ,8 all take place in between these and show how the early events in the island nations greatly effect the finale.
Arya

Post by Arya »

Hero Type:While I did play Suikoden III and thoroughly enjoyed the trinity sight system, I would greatly greatly appreciate having another female lead or an older male. I thought Geddoe perfectly encapsulated what I wanted out of a mercenary type and his back story just made me love him all the more. Geddoe has a deeply emotional past and I really appreciated that in a character more so than some teenage boy who has been exiled. That's happened too many times. Let's get over the teenage boys Konami.

Rune Type: One of my favorite True Runes has always been the Bright Shield Rune. While I was disappointed it was only half of the Rune of Beginning, I still felt like a rune that heals is really at the essence of Suikoden. The protagonists are typically trying to heal a nation ravaged by war. I felt the Bright Shield Rune was entirely emblematic of this in Suikoden II, as was the Black Sword Rune on Jowy's part. Clearly it was a battle between defense/unity and offense/aggression. I would love to see a True Rune focused primarily on healing and protecting those around you again without entirely ripping off the Bright Shield Rune if that were ever possible. Otherwise, I want some kind of True Nature Rune that makes flowers pop up and kill those dirty industrialized Harmonians.

Geography/Terrain: Harmonia PLEASE! If not Harmonia then the Nameless Lands. Or something to do with Alma Kinan again, lol. I loved that village.

Time Line: I sincerely hope there will be a continuation of the events in Suikoden III some day. It kills me to think that so many things could possibly be left unresolved. Pesmerga/Yuber; Pilika's fate; What the HELL Jeane is (Koroku, why couldn't you SHOW us her true form?); Where Viki is really, truly from; How the holy hell a jackass like Edge wound up with Viktor's sword. I need a resolution to ALL of these things, so I'd greatly appreciate a game from post-Suikoden III.

Storyline Style: See above, duh. I'd like it to resemble III to be totally honest because I absolutely love the political aspect, especially when seen from various angles rather than just the cut and dry normal view we get in most RPGs.

Other Major Characters: I too felt Lucretia was a complete joke as a strategist. She would come up with the most off the wall plans and they would magically work perfectly every time! I don't recall any of the other strategists having the same degree of "WTF"-ness to them. I'm also sick and tired of prissy teenage boys. STOP IT. I don't like Snowe, and I don't want any more Snowes. Please give me more Mistuba style characters, kthx. Also, all the awesome young girls from Suikoden III were so incredibly fun to play. Emily, Belle, Mel, Little Viki, Cecile, Alanis and Sanae Y. were some of my all-time favorite characters. Please keep them coming!

Returning Characters: I want to see every freaking Suikoden I/II/III character that isn't dead post-Suikoden III. This is my absolute favorite aspect of the Suikoden series. Actually meeting Schtolteheim Reinbach III made my life so much better in Suikoden IV. Honestly. Keep it up Konami.

Battle System: Bring back Suikoden II's strategy battles! Nothing was more awesome than seeing your troops go running up against the Highlanders and smacking their faces. I much prefer the 6-person party system and I really did enjoy the battle systems from II, III, and V. I wouldn't mind any of those making a reappearance.
Chocho

Post by Chocho »

Hero type: Maybe, as long as the hero has unique and attractive design as usual, anything would be okay...thus far, no Suikoden's hero that isn't attractive and...for fangirls, they're totally "Bishonen". except the tierkreis, the hero was too simple.decent. compared to other Suikoden heroes IMO. dont dissapoint me again, Konami

Rune type: Something related to time, maybe? I love sth like that...Actually I kinda want sth like Rune of punishment...

Geography/terrain: Um, umm, actually I'm hoping it will take place at Nagarea. aaanyway, a large region to travel which contains many ruins....Im gonna love it. and also I love it if they add more snowy mountain location like hathwal mountain

Timeline: After 5 and before 1. it'll be good after 3, BUT. I'm afraid that would make this game ends too early....
before 5? ummm uhhh....up to Konami, I guess.

Storyline style: The storyline that hard to tell o'course, something complex and looooong. a mix from 5 and 2 would work......maybe, just maybe

Major characters: uuuh....dont really has something to tell with this one

Returning characters: Actually i'm hoping that the timeline is after V, so V's characters can return...I want to see That Toma boy, Dragon cavalry and the prince again, sigh. maybe, if we play on Nagarea, and Nagarea was attacked, we may ask help from Falena, and we can meet them....
hopefully it could be.

Battle system: Normal and duel, Like V
major battle? Like II
"Karma DOES Exist"
Seiso

Post by Seiso »

Hero type: I'd like to see a hero older too, not a boy thats still in his 15's, man c'mon I know that in the medieval days when you were 14 you're already considered a man, but, all the games needs to be a boy? Or a woman would be great too (I loved Geddoe and Chris)

Rune type: Something that someway changes the hero like the way to think or to act.
Like a True Wisdom Rune, the hero would be more wise (being less reckless) or a True Judgement Rune which would give the power to destroy and to heal, changing in way to being more cold to act (That description kind of remember me de Rune of Begining).

Geography/terrain: Northen Lands? Cold, Snow or maybe something like the Netherlands, a low plain which needs the help of something (a true rune maybe) to mantain that characteristic.

Timeline: Please, after S3, I'm sick of prequels, well, maybe something after S4 and before the events of S5 to fill that blank spot.

Storyline: Something more adult, less direct conflicts and more obscure plots.

Other major characters: I hate the fact that everybody is so easy to read, I liked the way that some things you need to pick in the air, and it's not all writen in your face, like the way Rina convince the guard in S2, you know, something happned, but what? You need to imagine that. And a strategist more strategic (Mathiu, Shu) and less lucky (Lecretia).

A villain more enigmatic, more deeper, less plain (Please Godwin family is a joke), and for god's sake: No more Luca's, one is enough, good, but enough, if they create another one just make that kind of villain just too dumb, Luca had it's charm, Childerich I can't say the same thing.

Returning characters: I'd like to see some character that hadn't their spotlight yet like Ayda, I don't know excatly what she'd do but I'd gladly accept her; Mio, bring me the nurse again; Toma, being older and a great warrior; and the Dragon Knights =). Or characters that is still obscure: Pesmerga, Yuber, Mazus, Crowley (Jeane and Viki surely will apear, so I won't list it).

Battle system: SII for war; SV for one-one and gruops.
ForGreatJustice

Post by ForGreatJustice »

Hero Type:
Past Suikoden's had teenaged boys as our protagonists. They've become leaders of armies and had them prevail against more heavily experienced military antagonists. While we can debate the reliance of fate in the Suikoverse, it's still improbable that a young individual, even with the help of a strategist, can be the rallying point of highly experienced warriors/soldiers in a motley crew of an army AND still prevail against an organized military of another nation. I'm looking for someone older (I thought Geddoe was awesome) but a female. Time to give the ladies their equal due.

Rune Type:
I loved the concepts for the Rune of Punishment and the Soul Eater, being cursed runes, their usage came with a heavy price. Next rune I would like to see another cursed rune, but actually have its usage influence the course of events in the game. In IV, your refusal to use the Rune of Punishment led to the bad ending. Instead for VI, why not have these same choices again, and either choice would shift the next series of events BUT wouldn't lead to a bad ending/game over. This would also definitely increase gameplay value.

Geography:
Armes was an interesting insertion I thought. It also produced quite a few characters that had a significant plot role. Also through inference, it seems like Armes has a lot of desert terrain to it (I thought Falena would have been this, seeing it so lush was a complete surprise). I'm just looking for some desert, dry terrain, something I can't recall at the moment was really prevalent in any of the previous Suikodens.

Timeline:
I have mixed feelings on this. Prequels are nice in that they can reinforce the foundations of a story, but as Seiso said, I'm also tired. S I, II, and III had this great feeling of progress in their stories, a feeling of direction. SIV, T, V seemed to fill in the gaps (while also producing a few more). I can't see Konami continuing the series much too longer (it's still a poor money maker for them and not being their flagship title, it will never have the budget like MGS). It would be nice if we can get the wheels turning again towards that seemingly fateful showdown with Harmonia.

Storyline:
The one thing I hate is a company assumes its customers are not intelligent. I bring this up because like Seiso I feel we need a more complex story. SV was VERY predictable, IV needed ANOTHER GAME to elaborate on the core story (that's just called making more money by making a mediocre first product). III, while well told was also pretty easy to predict. I just want a complex story for once. It can be about anything ANYTHING.

Other Major Characters:
Anyone that will contribute/enhance a story. Hell it could be Mukumuku for all I care. If he helps create an amazing story, I'll be drinking my Johnny Walker black label to him.

Returning Characters:
Sasarai, Yuber, Pesmerga. Pesmerga more than Yuber because Yuber had a whole game to himself.

Battle Systems:
I liked the RTS war battle system of V. I only wished that the individual Stars' stats would have some impact in the battle like in III. I have no likings or dislikings to a duel system. I really liked III's battle system, or rather the distance aspect of it. Please I hope they keep some sort of skill system.
LanceHeart

Post by LanceHeart »

Hero type: I think Riou's background was quite interesting. A military-yet-not-spoiled background for the main character would be good (considering we've had spoiled ones in Tir, and Chris). As a new twist, have him be a complete lone wolf when the game begins. No family, no very close friends (they could've been killed in a previous war).

Rune type: Something physically based. I've been toying around with the True Skill Rune with other people on the board for some time. We've seen far too many magically minded runes for there to be anything left of actual use to an eventual hero, unless they introduce a new element or something.

Geography/terrain: Versatile geography, as if playing through areas in the same style as Suikoden 1 and 2 together. This includes a lake (yeah...), mountains, high tech areas, Sindar ruins, deserts, grasslands, dense forests, snowy regions, and finally some tropical environments. The Western Continent comes to mind when thinking of a place that could potentially incorporate all of these things.

Timeline: Post Suikoden 3. I want to see the intrigue of Harmonia's True Rune quest unravel soon.

Storyline: Fend off Harmonia by uniting the Western Continent (or a large part of it) against them, who started an invasion from the North East.
Harmonia is making an extremely big military move, so everyone close to them or affected by this large invasion would mobilize. Nations concerned by these actions include Grasslands/Zexen, Dunan, Toran, possibly Tinto and Toran.
As I said, this should be the biggest and most impossibly massive move Harmonia could do, so it shouldn't come as a surprise that any surrounding nations would be highly concerned that Harmonia is setting a foothold in a continent that borders so many other nations.

Other major characters: Hero's brother/sister wasn't killed but was in fact taken control of by Harmonia, now bears a True Rune of his own. Likely a polar opposite of the Hero's or a True Rune that's stronger than his. There's no reconciliation and neither will give up their cause without dying.

Returning characters: Hugo, Geddoe, Chris, Sasarai?, Yuber, Tir, Lazlo, Milia, Sierra, Edge (all of the True Rune bearers from previous games in the case where the enemy True Rune in question is actually far stronger than any other seen before), Futch, Bright, Riou/Jowy (older, wiser, stronger!), Pesmerga...
There's a lot of characters this time around that could come back if the biggest war in Suikoden history is coming. It's kinda sad that Falena probably wouldn't be involved in this, but there are limits to how big the Western Continent could actually be... right?

Some could be stars, or none could be and are there to aid you as a progressive flow of new reinforcements to your army as the story advances. In no way should any of them be exclusively available through loading previous saves, but unlocking their highest Rune abilities and/or unlocking new costumes should be the bonus.

Battle system: Suikoden V had one of the better systems I've seen in the entire franchise. Take that, make it as fast as Suikoden II's battle action speed and you have yourself what I've always loved of the first two and latest Suikoden games: Being able to create a melee in battle.

One thing, though. Adding unites that don't require all of the participants to be in the active battle party would be interesting and would open up a whole new world of unites to the mix. Reserve-only characters could finally have a new use other than being passive ability boosters.
Formerly known as: Gothann
Antimatzist

Post by Antimatzist »

I just don't want to answer all the questions, but...
One thing, though. Adding unites that don't require all of the participants to be in the active battle party would be interesting and would open up a whole new world of unites to the mix. Reserve-only characters could finally have a new use other than being passive ability boosters.
Yeah, I think as well that Unites need some kind of Change. i somehow liked S IV's Unite system, that you first have to unlock them before you can use them, but without a online help, I couldn't have found all of them. I'd prefer if you had to fulfill certain conditions outside of battles to unlock them(e.g. see a Special bath scene involving the characters using the unite... or maybe some sidequests for real strong unites). That would make them far more interesting, imo.

Sry, didn't really know where to put my idea^^
Kagiya

Post by Kagiya »

Hero type: I would like someone out of teens range, say 20-35. An experienced figure with well-defined ethics and realistic viewpoint. I liked how both Chris and Geddoe understood war and how good/bad was just a matter of view point. Riou was so good/pure that it was hard to believe at times. I would like a person with their family still alive and kicking. Nor do I want them dying mid-way through. I would like them have a close set of friends supporting them.

Rune type: Well, I'm tired of the 'dark' type runes such as soul-eater and punishment. V's non-true runes were not well defined. I would like a true rune in use (more often involved than the sun rune was) but it does not have to be on the main character.

Geography/terrain: One of the nations close to Falena maybe or someplace mostly mountainous.

Timeline: close to the majority of games.

Storyline style: I've kinda been wanting to see the Nagarea theocracy have a change of government as I don't care for theocracies. Otherwise I kinda liked how 3's had an uneasy alliance to fight against a common cause. I like the necessity factor as opposed to slowly winning everyone over to your side. The typical betrayals and such. I would prefer a war of differing beliefs/values rather that outright saving the country from an evil person.

Major characters:
Enemy: intelligent, willing to sacrifice others for his/hers goals which may not be entirely ethical but not enjoying the necessity of murders/deaths, believes firmly that his/hers aspirations are correct, he/she may be manipulating his own side to achieve these goals. I also like enemies with charisma.

Allies: Kinda typical characters varying staunch followers to those who might betray you given a better deal from opposing side.

Tactician: Leave the morals to hero however needs to be able to take morale and losses vs success into account. Needs to be willing to chance tactics when hero disagree to costs.

Returning characters: Not to many, but returning characters should be characters that need more fleshing out or unfinished storylines. In the case of Nagarea, perhaps Norma and Ernest?

Battle system: I think V's system worked just fine.
Soul Eater

Post by Soul Eater »

Doesn't seem to be much love for the teenage boy heroes, lol.
patapi
Forum Moderator

Post by patapi »

This feels like deja vu, but why not. I am open to possibilities, but if we insist to discuss best parts of the previous titles.

Hero type: Let's be honest, I prefer no-name protagonists. The transition to 3D and voice-acting might have made this less desirable in the newer games, yet I find them more likable when they don't have a set personality. I do like Thomas, Hugo, Chris and Geddoe from Suikoden III, but I've always thought that they felt more like the allies that you gather in the other games, instead of representing the lead character itself. Otherwise, I have no preference for the lead's background, as long as it's not way not out there like being the lost clone of Hikusaak or something.

Rune type: As far as playable runes are concerned, I still think Soul Eater is the best, both in strength and story. The elemental true runes were strong, but neither of them had anything resembling a distinctive will. Whereas the Rune of Punishment had plenty of personality, but lacked firepower. Thankfully Rhapsodia redeemed its status as a true rune. I'm not too fond of the support and healing runes, even if I did find them immensely useful. The next Suikoden should definitely come up with a main rune that can at least match Soul Eater in both aspects.

Geography/terrain: No clear preference, but a progression south would makes a lot of sense after IV, Rhapsodia and V. For a very underdeveloped new nation, it's surprising that the Dukedom of Gaien is in the centre of the current known world map. They deserve to be considered for the spotlight, no?

Timeline: Anything between Suikoden IV and III would be appropriate. There's plenty of gaps to be filled.

Storyline: In my eyes, Konami has done a wonderful job at pulling off internal struggles in I and V. Invasions, on the other hand, I'd like to see more of. Post-Luca Highland was beyond terrible, and Kooluk was even worse with relegating the occupation to a mere merchant. Harmonia's involvement in Suikoden III felt like an afterthought too, what's with minimum involvement until the very end of the story.

Other major characters: It's been too long since the enemy faction had a decent strategist on their side, so better make sure that they have one this time. Elenor didn't even have to come up with complicated schemes to win the war, and Lucretia's abilities to literally predict and preempt everything was such a waste. In fact, I'd like to see an even less experienced strategist than Caesar on your side, if possible, and have them grow with you in the story instead of relying on hearsay of their past achievements.

Returning characters: More references to minor characters from past games would be awesome.

Battle system: Normal battles - Use Suikoden III free positioning and chanting times as basis and improve on it with Rhapsodia's skill system and V's formations. Duel - Keep Suikoden V's. Army vs Army - Less luck-based, more stats-based version of II's would be great. Or take V's stats system and turn it into a turn-based grid system. Either is fine.
Alestes

Post by Alestes »

Hero type: Chris is my favorite hero from the games. I would like to see a new hero like that.
Rune type: The extremely powerful, yet cursed runes is a nice concept. Wouldn't mind if they continued upon that. Chocho mentioned a rune related to time earlier in this thread, and that's an interesting idea. Viki can travel thru time already, it seems. And I love the idea of changing the present by going to the past, but at the same time that would be kinda like cheating, no? Some extreme restrictions would have to be made.
Geography/terrain: The dominating terrain should be plains and forests. At least not as watery as Suikoden IV.
Timeline: It would be nice to be after Suikoden III and see what happened to some of the characters from the previous games. But I don't care much about when it happens.
Storyline: Something that mainly just involve one country (not country vs country), with internal political struggles that gives the player a ride with many twists. Many shades of grey instead of black vs white. Suikoden V was nice with the fights between the royal family, Godwins and Barows, and want something like that, but much more expanded upon and more complex with more factions.
Other major characters: The main enemy should be loveable and clever. Shades of grey, instead of just a dark black vile creature that wants to rule/destroy/whatever for his own selfishness. Do well strategically and give the player setbacks. I liked in Suikoden V how the player at one time fled the castle and had to retake some cities.

An enemy clutz like Euram Barows would be nice too, he added a nice flavor to the game. But shouldn't be the main one!

The strategist is a very important character for the game, and while I actually liked Lecretia, someone more like Mathiu would be more preferable.
Returning characters: I want to know more about Yuber. But Snowe was a sad emo boy crying for attention, and I don't want anyone like him back. If it's after Suikoden III, it would be nice to see Apple again. Schtolteheim Reinbach is totally needed also :lol:

But I don't really need many returning characters, but the characters are a large part of what makes Suikoden Suikoden for me. I want a lot of deep characters that just oozes of personality that impresses you. And characters that are just plain silly & fun, that gives you fun letters in the suggestion box and so on. And an enemy you care for (hi Jowy!)
Battle system: Suikoden V worked nicely I think. It should be relatively basic graphicwise, with very fast loading times (<1sec). When it comes to big battles, it would be nice to see the return of the systems used in Suikoden I or II. Don't want the big battle system in V to return anyway, as I feel turn-based combat is more preferable.
blah1017

Post by blah1017 »

Before reading this, please note that I haven't finished 4 or 5. That may skew my decisions somewhat.

Hero type: Gonna go with another silent protagonist here. I liked Suikoden 3's characters, but the lead characters really didn't feel like... leaders. They just felt like extra strong characters among the group. Riou and Tir feel much more like leaders to me, although I really don't know how this would pan out with voice acting. I haven't finished 4, but Lazlo seems like an incredibly crappy character so far. But yeah, I don't really expect or want that much deviation here.

Rune type: I actually think it would be a cool idea to give the main character a sword/weapon based rune, instead of one that imbeds itself into the user. I think the whole "here's a true rune, it gives you immortality plus it's cursed, etc." idea is kind of tired, and I'd really like something that is more ambiguous and not automatically detrimental to the user. That's been done enough.

Geography/terrain: I much prefer the single continent idea of Suikodens 1, 2, and 3 to the water traveling of 4. A single unified continent would be great. I actually really want to get some insights on the Western continent, that's a huge land mass that has had little to no plot development at all. Just go wild with it Konami.

I do want the story to eventually go back to the whole Toran/Dunan/Harmonia continent, but I think that would be better saved for the final game in the series.

Timeline: I think the last game should be after 3, maybe not right after, but sometime after for sure. But there is a lot of space before then for more development, especially in other continents. I think doing something with the Western continent that takes place slightly before or after 1 would be really good.

Storyline style: Less focus on runes like 3 was, and more focused on the conflict of war and how it tears people, and countries apart. I really think 2 did a great job here and 3's storyline was way too centered on the true runes. The true runes should be a catalyst for war, not the center of the entire game.

Major characters: There should be a lot of grey areas, not everyone is born with a thirst for justice, so there should be some development in many characters. The villains need to be good, this is one thing I disliked about 3. Aside from the initial shock of the nature of the villains in 3, they were all pretty uninteresting, except maybe Yuber. 2 had several villains who were far more interesting. I always gauge whether the game has good villains or not if there's at least one guy you have to kill that I really don't want to. Like Ain Gide in 1, and Han in 2, as well as Culgan and Seed. They're just fighting for what they believe in, they just happen to be on the opposite side of the conflict as you are. Characters who actually have reasons for their actions are heavily important, and while Luca Blight was an amazing character in 2, I think going back to a crazy killer archetype for a villain would be a huge mistake. They got that right once, just leave it alone and do new things now.

The strategist is also really important. 3's strategists were really disappointing in my honest opinion. Considering how often you interact with the strategists, they need to be interesting characters.

Returning characters: Suikoden 2 was great partly because of all of the returning characters, but Suikoden 2 also took place a few years after the first game in a very close region. It wouldn't make sense to have a busload of returning characters in a game that takes place in a different continent. At the same time, I felt that 3 had far too few returning characters, especially because of its proximity to the regions of the first two games. I'm sure the time had something to do with this, but whatever.

That being said, I think a balance between the two would be good. And while I'm sure everyone wants to see Viktor and Flik again, I think some of those more popular characters should be given a rest, at least for awhile. Don't get me wrong, I love Viktor as much as the next guy, but I don't think he needs to be in another game right now, same with several other popular choices.

I think it would be much more interesting to give us more story on minor characters who just sort of vanished. Like Kreutz from Suikoden 1. He just disappears at the end of the game, where did he go? Have him in a game about the Western Continent, I think that would be interesting. Maybe do something with Shin, or the pirates from Suikoden 1? I know everyone wants to see their favorite characters again, and I'd like to see my favorite characters again too, but a lot of these characters really wouldn't be that mobile, especially after the games they've starred in. I mean, I'd like to see Kahn, Miklotov, Lepant, Hauser and Sheena again, but every one of those characters is pretty much settled into a position that they're not gonna move from (Except Sheena and Kahn I guess, and Kahn doesn't seem like he'd go into combat again after Suikoden 2)

Battle system: Just do what they did for Suikodens 1 and 2. I believe 5 has the same combat system. 3 tried being unique with its battle system but it was kind of flawed, I did like skills though. 4 is godawful though, just use the original system with skills and that's perfect.

One thing that I definitely want for the series is for it to come to a head at some point. 1, 2, and 3 are great because they feel like the events are all working towards some end. Having those games on the same continent really makes the story feel much more well made and interesting. If they're going to do a new continent for 6, they should stick on that continent for awhile. So either go to the Western continent and stay there for a bit, or keep doing things for the continent in 5, or go back to the original.

EDIT: Also one thing that I'm not sure if it's been talked about in this topic, but it wasn't in the original post, is that the series should maintain high quality, good music. The entire series has been pretty good about this though, but I'd hate for the music to decline in quality while everything else is improved.
Last edited by blah1017 on Mon Apr 06, 2009 12:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Blutiger Engel

Post by Blutiger Engel »

Antimatzist wrote:Yeah, I think as well that Unites need some kind of Change. i somehow liked S IV's Unite system, that you first have to unlock them before you can use them, but without a online help, I couldn't have found all of them. I'd prefer if you had to fulfill certain conditions outside of battles to unlock them(e.g. see a Special bath scene involving the characters using the unite... or maybe some sidequests for real strong unites). That would make them far more interesting, imo.
I like that idea.

Hero type: I like heroes that speak, however I can't stand voice acting. So a character that the player can still name and speaks (at least a little) w/o voices would be nice. I'd like him/her to at least be 20 something, but 30 something would be even better.

Rune type: A balanced rune that can heal and do some decent damage would be nice. I liked how the Bright Shield Rune had defensive and offensive capabilities.

Geography/terrain: As long as there isn't a horrible ship controlled world map I could care less.

Timeline: Between 4 and 5 is understandably a popular answer, since there is a 140 yr gap. Specifically, I wouldn't mind seeing the Flame Champion and the Fire Bringer War, which is in that gap.

Storyline: I liked the more psychological storyline that 5 had, however it took too long to set up the plot and twists and the beginning of the game was hell. There needs to be a balance of good psychological storyline but not so complex that the player has to read a novel of text before the game play actually starts. The enemy also has to be worth fighting, unlike Cray in 4, who was incredibly anti-climactic.

Other major characters: The return of a narcissist, and a competent strategist would be great. I actually liked Lucretia, who doesn't seem to be getting much love here, but you're all right in that she did rely too much on luck and was well, narcissistic. (I wasn't expecting to combine those two categories...) Caesar certainly had his charm, but I think I would prefer an older strategist with that type of style.

Returning characters: The Flame Champion, as would fit into my time line preference above, which would then mean that Jimba/Wyatt and Geddoe return. Fantastic. If the game took place earlier, I wouldn't mind seeing Snowe again, after he redeems his honor maybe, but he already returned in Tactics and everyone seems to hate him so it would probably be best if that didn't happen.

Battle system: 6 people. Period. The formations in 5 were a nice change to the typical 2 rows, but I'd be happy just to have 6 people. As for war battles, I loved both the Tactics system and 5's RTS, so if 5's system returned or if they integrated the Tactics system into a normal war battle within the RPG I'd be pretty happy either way. I never really liked duels that much, but they made Suikoden unique. Not having duels or war battles in Tierkreis really sucked- so as long as both systems are back in place I'd be content.
Belcoot4

Post by Belcoot4 »

Hero type: Maybe a older male mid 20's 30's or continue the trend of 15 to 18yrs old whos uniquness seperates them from any of the other younger characters.
Rune type: I'd also like to see the return of the single True Rune, although I really liked the runes SV toward the end I started thinking Lyon's half of the rune was more powerful than the heroes, thats just me. Something like the Soul Eater or the RoP.
Geography/terrain: Well since I'm ready for the story to progress I'd like to see S6 take place in either Harmonia or New Armes Kingdom.
Timeline: Again they have done enough back tracking and filling in I want the story to take place after the 2nd Fire Bringer War
Storyline: I'd like the storyline to be as much in depth or more as SV. Each character had their own individuality about them that made you want to play the game over and over trying new parties. I'd also like to see main antagonist to be snake-like and intellegent like Gizel Godwin, but at the same time when it comes down to it be able to fight like Luca Blight or Childerich. I thought it was a joke when Gizel challenged me one on one. Maybe have a story involving invasion like most of the other Suikodens but also throw a religous-mental twist to it like Tierkreis and some more info on Nether Gate.
Other major characters:Well since I'd like to see the story take place preferbly in New Armes Kingdom Id like to see Shula Valya and his crew, plus Zegai, on how things go in Armes. Maybe Hikusaak, Luc(if hes alive), Sasari, and Nash. I'd also like to know what Jillia and Pilika are doing right about now. Imagine that Lymslia vs. Jillia leading two countries.
Returning characters: I hope the next Suikoden has the best selection of fighters than any of the rest. Belcoot, Georg Prime, Richard, Geddoe and crew, Futch and Bright, Apple haha, Tai Ho (love that guy), Pesmerga, Hugo, Chris, Toma, Dinn, Euram Barrows, Genshu, LC Chan, Chaco, Zegai, Miakis, Bernadette, and Killey (we need to know more about Sindar)
Battle system: 6 CHARACTERS PLEASE! I really didnt even mind S3 when they were in pairs, but they should stick to the way they had it in SV. 6 characters with adjustable formations is great. I also really like the skills system from SV they just need to adjust what each skill does because some of the ones you learn first are better than the later ones. The one on one battles should also be like SV just with more difficutly. I really dont have a suggestion for War Battles, I liked how they did it SIII but I wish you had total control over your men, but I did like how the teams were totaly customizable. Or they could involve ships like SIV but again they need to up the difficutly. I'd say make the war battles a mixture of SIII, IV and V.
"Even the dead reveal their secrets to me." Yuber

"I have not lived long enough to become a myth." Chris Lightfellow

"They betrayed us and fled. Cowards." Zegai