Need some opinion of you guys!!!! (tattoo)

A forum for non-Suikoden related topics.
Benthos

Need some opinion of you guys!!!! (tattoo)

Post by Benthos »

Hey people, I don't know if I'm able to put a topic like this, but I want an opinion about something I want to do and I want you to think if it's cool or not.

I want to put tattoos on my two hands. On the left hand, the symbol of the Dawn Rune. And on the right hand the symbol of the Twilight Rune. I just wanna know what you guys think about this.
Last edited by Benthos on Sun Jul 29, 2007 6:37 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Zeikcied

Re: Need some opinion of you guys!!!!

Post by Zeikcied »

Personally, I say it's your body, and you do whatever you want with it. I'm not sure exactly why you're asking our opinions.

But, a tattoo is permanent. So, think long and hard if you really want these symbols on your hands for the rest of your life. Do you think that, thirty years in the future, you'll still be happy with these symbols? Do you think you'll even remember what they are?

I can understand people liking something so much that they get a tattoo. But, video games, television shows, and movies don't last forever. Eventually the object of your fandom will cease to exist, and you're stuck with these images on your body that no longer have any relevance. Then what?
Benthos

Post by Benthos »

Zeikcied wrote:Personally, I say it's your body, and you do whatever you want with it. I'm not sure exactly why you're asking our opinions.

But, a tattoo is permanent. So, think long and hard if you really want these symbols on your hands for the rest of your life. Do you think that, thirty years in the future, you'll still be happy with these symbols? Do you think you'll even remember what they are?

I can understand people liking something so much that they get a tattoo. But, video games, television shows, and movies don't last forever. Eventually the object of your fandom will cease to exist, and you're stuck with these images on your body that no longer have any relevance. Then what?
Well, that's the reason I'm asking for opinions. I like this symbols very much, but when I think about having for the rest of my life I feel a little sad about it. It's not only because I like the game, but also I think that my apparence would be better.

I don't know, just wanted to talk to someone about this...
Last edited by Benthos on Sun Jul 29, 2007 10:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
Sonic

Post by Sonic »

Like Zeikcied said, it's your body, it's none of our business what you do with it. If you wanted my super honest opinion though, I think it's pretty silly. For a start, like Zeik said, permanently engraning images from a video game that's obscure to begin with and will be completely forgotten given a couple of decades seems like a waste. And don't forget, there are plenty of places that won't employ people with visible tattoos, and tattoos on your hands are about as visible as they come. So if you go through with it, say goodbye to a good number of summer job oppurtunities. And what if you become, like, a lawyer or a politician or an actor or something where you'll be seen a lot or be in a position of great importance? You'd be walking around court/city hall/the set with big silly pictures on your hands.

Well, whatever, it's none of my business. Just out of curiosity, how old are you?
Yeah!
Kagiya

Post by Kagiya »

Just a word of warning, hand tattoos can be quite painful. Sonic is quite right that some places will not hire you if you have visible tattoos. Although you can laser off it off later, but the degree of removal varies (It might still be visible slightly). This is not cheap.

The other thing to keep in mind is that tattoos sometimes need to be touched up. Sunlight can quicken the fading, so you would have to do more touch up of your tattoos if they are on your hands or face.
EternalOnslaught

Post by EternalOnslaught »

I'm not too sure on this, but I think I heard from some where that tattoos can do some damage to your muscle tissue, or the laser operation to get them remove can cause that. I forgot which it was, but I agree with everyone else. It's up to you, I think it would be a waste of money and awfully silly. What would your girlfriend/wife, think of it? Plus as someone mentioned before it will be hard to get hired if it is visible.

But it all comes down to it, if you want it or not. I wouldn't do it, but you aren't me. Either way I doubt any of us will think less of you if you did get it done. Have fun deciding and contemplating and make sure you make the right choice and not regret it, I heard the operation can be costly.
Sandalphon - Senso Suikoden
Benthos

Post by Benthos »

Sonic wrote:Well, whatever, it's none of my business. Just out of curiosity, how old are you?
I'm 17. And thank you guys, your opinions are very important to me. Since what I'm thinking to do is related to Suikoden, I thought that talking with fans of it could be helpful.

Thank you again, and if you guys want to express another opinion, feel free to do it.
Kagiya

Post by Kagiya »

It will not damage the muscle unless you are getting it done in prison or something. The ink only goes into the dermis of the skin, and I think most of the tools are set so that they will only pierce through the layer of dermis (the dermis is fairly thick compared to epidermis) and not all the way down to the muscle. Lasering does not cause muscle damage, they just break up the ink into tiny bits that will picked up by the immune and taken away. However there are some possible side-effects with lasering, all having to do with the skin. Possible scarring (this happened to my aunt), or lighter skin in the area where the tattoo was removed or darkening of the skin where the tattoo was removed.

Anyways, it is really up to you. There are some places that can make custom temp tattoos for you, however they tend to be quite expensive as well. I really do suggest if you have heart set on rune tattoo's, that you get it done somewhere less visible for the sake of trying to find a job later on. I've kinda thought about getting the true flame rune or the blue moon rune on a shoulder, but not too seriously.
Pollensalta

Post by Pollensalta »

I heard.

FYI Benthos I have the blue moon on my back and the soul eater on my right wrist as well as 8 other tattoos (you can see it at http://www.myspace.com/pollensalta if you want, there is an album under my pics for tattoos)
I am about to get the blue moon covered up with my new backpiece (because it looks bad) but still very much enjoy the soul eater on my wrist. I don't even bother explaining to people that it is "the soul eater," when they ask I usually tell them it's a tribal design of someone holding a scythe. That's usually followed by them saying "Oh, that's badass!"

People who want to complain about others who have tattoos are idiots. The argument "Oh, you won't like that tattoo someday" doesn't hold up. I know people of all ages with tattoos and I've rarely met people who end up hating them. I am extremely proud of mine because they are beautiful and I still don't regret them as I have never been not hired for a job because of them. And also, I made the decision with willingness to wear long-sleeves to a job if necessary.
I'm getting a degree in sociology and will someday teach it to college students. It's professional to wear long sleeves when teaching anyways, so it's not a big deal.

And the argument of "what if your potential boyfriend/girlfriend/spouse won't like it?"
If someone is dating me they damn well better like my tattoos and if we don't have that common interest, or at least if they don't have the decency to respect what I like, then they can pretty much piss up a rope.
Purr.
Benthos

Post by Benthos »

Wow, you really are a tough person, Poll. Sorry to talk like that in the other topic, I thought you always wanted to pull me for getting all wrong and almost always breaking the rules without even knowing that.

Yeah, about that you're right, It's not like I'll not be able to get a job or a good social life because of simple symbols. Anyway, they're not what you can call "childish" or maybe "silly'.

Still, I start to think about it in the future. When I imagine myself with 30 and with that symbol still on, I don't know, something tells me that is not quite right or cool.

Well, if you all were on the same situation than me, what you were gonna do?
Pollensalta

Post by Pollensalta »

Well I'm getting the blue moon on my back covered up with something else. It can be difficult and sometimes impossible, but because there's going to be a lot of blue and black in that particular area that I'm getting covered, it should work.
But that's just getting a tattoo covered with another tattoo.

However, you're what, 17? By the time you're 30 I believe there'll probably be ways to laser off your tattoos that will be extremely easy, cost-efficient and scar-free. After all, that's going to be in 2020.
That's just what I think.
Purr.
Benthos

Post by Benthos »

Yeah, I kinda think like you too, just don't know if this is really what I want.
Leona

Post by Leona »

Yeah, I kinda think like you too, just don't know if this is really what I want.
I might get a True Rune Tatto. If someone is going to get a tatto they should get one of something they really like. In 30 years I bealive I will still like Suikoden even if I don't play it anymore/as much. Plus who knows what will happen 30 years from now? I say enjoy life NOW and get the Tatto already.
Alpha

Post by Alpha »

I think it was mentioned, though only briefly in a post above. But, it is possible to get temporary tattoos, that only last a few years, if you're not sure about having them as a life long addition. But if you really love the runes now, then I can't see that fading. I still really like some symbols that I saw in games ten years ago or more, and I can't see that changing (or so I'd hope).
Your perception is your reality.
Pollensalta

Post by Pollensalta »

Leona wrote:
I might get a True Rune Tatto. If someone is going to get a tatto they should get one of something they really like. In 30 years I bealive I will still like Suikoden even if I don't play it anymore/as much. Plus who knows what will happen 30 years from now? I say enjoy life NOW and get the Tatto already.
Even if I don't play Suikoden anymore, the symbol of the soul eater will still look badass on my wrist.

heh.
Purr.