PS3 price cut

A forum for non-Suikoden related topics.
EternalOnslaught

PS3 price cut

Post by EternalOnslaught »

If you haven't notice already, Sony plans to slash their console 60GB unit by $100. They also plan to introduce a new edition of the console, the 80GB which will be $599 and also include the game Motorstorm.

Now the price cut is only effective in the US/Canada region and it is effective in August of this year. What is bothering me, is Sony taking anything out of the system to make the system cheaper? Hopefully not by the reports they are doing it to somehow jumpstart their sales, which aren't doing that badly.
Sandalphon - Senso Suikoden
Zeikcied

Re: PS3 price cut

Post by Zeikcied »

EternalOnslaught wrote:If you haven't notice already, Sony plans to slash their console 60GB unit by $100. They also plan to introduce a new edition of the console, the 80GB which will be $599 and also include the game Motorstorm.

Now the price cut is only effective in the US/Canada region and it is effective in August of this year. What is bothering me, is Sony taking anything out of the system to make the system cheaper? Hopefully not by the reports they are doing it to somehow jumpstart their sales, which aren't doing that badly.
The price cut went into effect Monday. The 80 Gig unit is released in August. So, the price cut is already out there. You just have to wait a month for the 80 Gig unit to hit shelves.
Sonic

Post by Sonic »

I read somewhere that the price cut is related in some way to Blue Ray becoming cheaper to work with, or something. I don't think they're going to handicap their system in any way to lower the cost.

This, I believe, is good news, and a good step in the right direction for Sony. I'm still holding out, though. Another hundred, or at LEAST another fifty, and I'll think about it.
Yeah!
Pollensalta

Post by Pollensalta »

The PS3 still sucks.
Purr.
Queens Knight

Post by Queens Knight »

Pollensalta wrote:The PS3 still sucks.
^^ LIAR!!

It does not "suck", it has compulsive suck syndrome...also it was dropped on it's head in the manufacturing lab.
Raww Le Klueze
Global Admin

Post by Raww Le Klueze »

I read somewhere that the price cut is related in some way to Blue Ray becoming cheaper to work with
That can't be true. Sony said the BluRay had nothing to do with the ridiculous price-tag (*snicker*). Are you saying they LIED?? Dear god, what is the world coming to.
I don't think they're going to handicap their system in any way
Hi! Welcome to Europe where you pay twice as much for less content!
Doctorum Non Urina Singulus.
daoster

Post by daoster »

Nah, PS3 doesn't suck, it's looking like a very strong system, and KillZone 2 was looking more impressive than Halo 3.
I tell the DJ what to play, I tell the MC what to say!
Like good music? Check out my podcast: http://www.musicaloccupation.com
Pollensalta

Post by Pollensalta »

Don't get me wrong, I love my PS2 as much as my DS or Wii, but until they get some decent games that don't have to do with war or racing or blowing crap up or raping hoes in a back alley on the PS3, there's no reason at all to get it.
Purr.
daoster

Post by daoster »

"Raping hoes in a back alley"? I didn't know that was even a game for the Playstation 3!

There are already games that aren't going to be like the ones you've mentioned on the horizon:

- Little Big Planet
- Pain
- Ratchet and Clank
- Folk Lore
- Echo Chrome
- White Knight
- Heavenly Sword
I tell the DJ what to play, I tell the MC what to say!
Like good music? Check out my podcast: http://www.musicaloccupation.com
Pollensalta

Post by Pollensalta »

Haha, I was referring to all the GTA and mobster type games.

Little Big Planet actually looks fun, tbh!
Purr.
KFCrispy
Global Admin

Post by KFCrispy »

an 80GB version..... i don't know enough about the PS3, but i assume there are ways to expand that memory with things such as USB drives, right? (and for real system modders, they can figure out how to hook up and remove any hard drive to the system)

the 80gb will probably be exactly the same as the 60gb but for $100 more...

i believe there was a big difference between the 20gb and 60gb right? wireless or something? or am i thinking of the 360....

so my question really is: what are the differences between all the system versions?
and... the 20gb's been phased out, right?
Queens Knight

Post by Queens Knight »

60GB and 80GB have the exact same system specs, except you also get Moterstorm with the 80GB system, so you're pretty much paying around $30-$40 for an extra 20GB.

20GB model was just inferior, there were a number of functions that never made it to that model, wifi connection was one and also quite a few other things, was discontinued for a reason (at least in N.A.)
thcrock
Global Admin

Post by thcrock »

20gig didn't have wireless, correct.

Its discontinued, but they're selling for cheaper on eBay - you might be able to get one for $400. Worth looking into if you don't care about wireless.
KFCrispy
Global Admin

Post by KFCrispy »

wireless probably isn't a big deal unless you play a lot of party games, 4 or more players. i might just wait for another price cut, considering there's no sign of any games i really want to play coming out anytime soon for any console *coughSuikodencough*
Raww Le Klueze
Global Admin

Post by Raww Le Klueze »

wireless probably isn't a big deal unless you play a lot of party games
Uh... wireless in this case refers to how it connects to the internet not the controller.
Doctorum Non Urina Singulus.