most powerful mages

Ask questions about the personality and backstory of the multitude of characters in the Suikoden series.
Kranach

most powerful mages

Post by Kranach »

ok i have read in another forum that why can't stella be a true rune bearer? hmmm... yeah how come all of the powerful mages in your party doesn't have a true rune? I know crowley and mazus are in the path of obtaining power equal to a true rune but without having a true rune. so how about estella? (haven't finished 4 yet) I know levi is very interested in rare and true runes. just why can't you have a mage that wields a true rune? can we consider ted as a mage? he uses a bow and he is a hybrid. technically the most powerful mage in suikoden 3 is luc, but you don't get to use him in your party.
Suikoden I - Fuma/Kage/Kasumi
Suikoden II - Mondo/sasuke/Kasumi
Suikoden III - Landis/Watari/Ayame
Suikoden IV - Akaghi/Mizuki/Kate
Suikoden V - Shigure/Sagiri/Raven
son_michael

Post by son_michael »

you can play as Luc and use his true wind rune in Suikoden 3...you can also play as Sarah and Yuber

Luc has his own Scenario{flame thing}
Kranach

Post by Kranach »

i know that. but technically you don't use him in your army.
WaterMoon

Post by WaterMoon »

Yes, Ted counts, IMHO, as a mage. If ya read through my walkthrough for 4, you'll see he's on the same growth chart in magical skill as all the best devoted mages in the game, and in fact, in the run through I played while writing said walkthrough, he actually had the highest magic skill of all characters.
"C'mon, Jeane! The ugly stick had its way with you! Admiiiiiiiiiit it!"
---------------------------------------------------------------
"What do you think,Your Highness? Does kidnapping your little sister sound like fun?"
son_michael

Post by son_michael »

Kranach wrote:i know that. but technically you don't use him in your army.
in your post above you said"party" not "army"
Kranach

Post by Kranach »

ok misunderstanding about that part. the party that you can always use. not the one you can just unlock like luc.
Archer

Re: most powerful mages

Post by Archer »

Estella really is not all she makes herself out to be. Shes just a talented mage, like many before her and i'm sure many after her. If you're talking gameplay elements, yes she is good but that doesnt put her near the status of Crowley and Mazus in the story. Estella is simply a pathalogical liar running rampant (some believe she is telling the truth but I just think konami are using her as a little inside joke for references, however you wish to see it I guess) Crowley and Mazus are legendary, Estella is just another character. :/ Also...theres only 27 True runes ^^ If you wanted one for every decent mage in your party, the Suiko series would be out of rune mystery quite quickly, not to mention the huge amount of party members no one would use because of the sheer damage a group of True Rune wielding mages could do. Having just 1 extra True Rune bearer in your party can make the difference between the game being hard and blindingly easy.

To answer your question as to why Can't Estella be a True Rune bearer, well in theory she /could/ same as anyone but thats not going in to deatils such as compatibility and destiny. Also, yes Ted is considered a mage but please don't forget Sasarai.
Kranach

Post by Kranach »

well i wasn't just pertaining to estella. but to all the powerful mages in the game.
suikoden 1 crowley, luc*, hellion?
suikoden 2 mazus, luc*
suikoden 3 estella, rody, luc*, sasarai*, sarah
suikoden 4 warlock, pablo, ted*, konrad, maxine, jeane
suikoden 5 levi, jeane, zerase*!
well everybody considers ted a mage. yup i see that his stats and abilities are for a mage, but he is also an archer and he is a boy who's village was destroyed in a young age. i wonder how he became good in magic? did someone teach him? the villagers from the hidden rune village doesn't seem to be special.

about sasarai. i'm sorry cause he was not a powerful offense mage.
EternalOnslaught

Post by EternalOnslaught »

Actually about Sasarai, I thought he was decently powerful for the final boss. Yeah, he couldn't use the ultimate attack with his True Earth rune, though it does look pretty.

Of course he isn't that GOOD of an offensive mage, he holds the a true rune that mostly grants protection, and trust me it comes in handy for the last boss, for me anyways.

Edit: Wasn't there a topic about this before, or atleast similiar? Am I going senile!?!?!
Sandalphon - Senso Suikoden
Sonic

Post by Sonic »

Keeping in mind, too, that True Runes don't necessarily select powerful- or even competent- magicians as their bearers. On top of that, there's plenty of evidence to suggest that certain runes might be, for lack of a better term, "non-magical". Not that they don't have magical properties, more that they're just functional. For example, the Dragon Rune. Not necessarily a powerful magical rune, but merely the rune that allows dragons to exist in our world. It doesn't need a powerful magician for a host- just a warm body, really. So it doesn't really follow at all that useful mages ought to have True Runes.
Yeah!
Geddoe 2099

Post by Geddoe 2099 »

Actually, I think it would be a bad idea to give the power mages (ex., Crowley, Mazus) True Runes.

Giving power mages True Runes is like giving Superman brass knuckles. :roll:
Tenko5

Post by Tenko5 »

Well, Geddoe isn't half bad as a mage. Most of his true lighting spells can get off near the top of the turn. But, like others have said if you gave a really powerful mage a true rune it would be even easier than using zerase. I mean lets just say viki got a true rune with her chain casting and high magic she could easily rip through the game.
Those who know much suffer much. "Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."
Why can't you be more sincere and earnest?! Like me!
Kyle: Yeah, how's that working out for you again?
KFCrispy
Global Admin

Post by KFCrispy »

there is a thread on the most powerful non-true-rune-using mages for gameplay purposes only: http://www.suikosource.com/phpBB3/viewt ... &start=180

this topic title is really different from the original post....
Kranach wrote:ok i have read in another forum that why can't stella be a true rune bearer? hmmm... yeah how come all of the powerful mages in your party doesn't have a true rune? I know crowley and mazus are in the path of obtaining power equal to a true rune but without having a true rune. so how about estella? (haven't finished 4 yet) I know levi is very interested in rare and true runes. just why can't you have a mage that wields a true rune? can we consider ted as a mage? he uses a bow and he is a hybrid. technically the most powerful mage in suikoden 3 is luc, but you don't get to use him in your party.
Shinsengumi

Post by Shinsengumi »

Again, jeane has something in HER MAGICAL POWERS NOTHING ELSE.
"In war, truth is the first casualty" ~ Aeschylus
Siel Avadon

Post by Siel Avadon »

Many superior mages in Suikoden. Zerase is like a perfect charachter...."game wise" if one think, a Long Range Weapon, Starts with one hell of a offensive rune, good Magic stat and 2 open slots for more runes where Jeane got Charm Rune....I hate that rune, Its not as good in S5 as in s4 either.

Anyway, Viki can chain her spells like some can do chains of attacks!?
Jeane, The Marilyn Monroe of Suikoden.