What is your name and what does it mean?

A forum for non-Suikoden related topics.
Falenan_descent

What is your name and what does it mean?

Post by Falenan_descent »

We've all these posts about "Love" and "favourite liquor" and if you're thin or not. Well, this is the thread for your names! :D IF you don't choose to disclose it, that's cool! But I love hearing people's names and if they have significant meaning.

My name is Cody. It means a lot of different things in different languages. But, my favourite interpretation is the greek meaning which means, "Cushion." Haha! Mostly because I'm slightly on the chubby side and people have the tendency, when waking up after fun parties, to somehow be sleeping ON me. Fun stuff :3

My mom found it in a book and fell in love with it right away.

My Middle names are Allen and Brian. Allen is my late grandfather's middle name. And Brian is my dad's name.

And finally Walsh. Oh how I love this name. Walsh. LOL. It means "Prisoner of Wales." So, somewhere down the line...my ancestors were stupid enough to become prisoners of Wales. Blokes. At least they were nobility.

So, that's me :P Your cushionany Prisoner of Wales guy~

What are your names? :D
Occam Arkitect

Post by Occam Arkitect »

My two birth names are "Gideon Nikos".

Gideon means "soldier of god", and Nikos means "Conqueror".

Pretty bad-ass meanings if you ask me now, back then I wished for a name like "Genji Overdrive" or something like that. :lol:
Iku

Post by Iku »

my name is alex (well alexander but only my mum calls me that!), it means “helper of man” its also greek or egyptian i can't remember, theres a place called alexandria and a gemstone called an alexandrite!
i like my name because its not too common but not completely weird, but for some strange reason some reason some people spell it alix... :o
'Believed the evidence of your own eyes, did ya? In a place like this?' Granny Weatherwax
Jowy Atreides

Post by Jowy Atreides »

First name: Andrew. Greek for courageousness, manliness, and strength, I am named after Andrew of the 12 disciples of Jesus, something I am very proud of (I'm not religious, but I think Jesus was a great person).

Middle name: Joseph. A name originating from the Hebrew Bible, this one means "The Lord will increase" in Hebrew. I was given this name out of respect for the Biblical Joseph, another man I admire.

Last name: Marchbanks. A generic name originating from the British Isles, my parents had no say in this one.

Nicknames include: Andy, Si. Andy's obvious, and Si is my uncle's name and my grandfather's nickname, who was a doctor (not medical). I'm trying to phase Andy out, to no avail, and getting new people I meet to call me Si.

My ancestry includes, but is not limited to: Arabian (Egyptian), British (English, Scottish, Welsh), German, Irish, Jewish (Israel), and Native American (Comanche). I can't remember the exact percentages, but those six made up over 99% of my ethnic ancestry. European and Jewish ancestries are over 50%, while Native American takes another 16%, and I believe Arabian makes up the other 33%.
Fu Su Lu

Post by Fu Su Lu »

Jowy wrote:Middle name: Joseph. A name originating from the Hebrew Bible, this one means "The Lord will increase" in Hebrew. I was given this name out of respect for the Biblical Joseph, another man I admire
Damn it, dude, I didnt even know about that... The Lord will increase... Yeah, thats my first name. The spanish version of it: Jose

Second name: Miguel (michael in english) If someone knows about the meaning, im willing to know ;) ) Pretty biblic for a non believer hu? :lol:
Michael Easton

Post by Michael Easton »

Fu Su Lu wrote:Second name: Miguel (michael in english) If someone knows about the meaning, im willing to know ;) ) Pretty biblic for a non believer hu? :lol:
Here you go matey:

Michael

From the Hebrew name מִיכָאֵל (Mika'el) which meant "who is like God". This is the name of one of the seven archangels in Hebrew tradition and the only one identified as an archangel in the Bible. In the Book of Revelation in the New Testament he is portrayed as the leader of heaven's armies, and thus is considered the patron saint of soldiers.

http://www.behindthename.com/

And my surname:

Easton

This surname is of Anglo-Saxon origin, and is locational from any of the numerous places thus called, for example, in the Isle of Wight, Devonshire, Essex, and Northamptonshire. The general source of the name is the Olde English pre 7th Century elements, "east" meaning "east", plus "-tun" an "enclosure or settlement". The Olde English phrase "be eastan tune" meant "(Place) to the east of a settlement or village". One place thus called in Essex derives its name from the Olde English "eg" meaning "island", plus "-stan(as)", stones, whereas Easton Neston in Northamptonshire comes from the Olde English "Eadstanestun" a compound of the elements "ead", prosperity, "stan", a stone, and "-tune", settlement.

http://www.surnamedb.com/surname.aspx?name=Easton

This is a pretty good idea - something I never would have thought of had it not been for this thread.
Chris_Lightfellow

Post by Chris_Lightfellow »

My first name, Samantha, is Aramaic for "listener". My middle names, well Clare is Latin and means "clear, bright, famous" and Rose, obviously means rose. Nobody has a clue what my last name means. If anybody knows what Enz mean, please tell me. We don't even know what nationality it is, although we suspect German.
And if I saw you dancing, I would spin you around, spin you around, turn your world upside down

Not sure about something? Check the board rules!
ViktorFan

Post by ViktorFan »

My name is "Gabriele", a hebrew name which means "God's Hero".

Chris_Lightfellow, Enz isn't a german name, I've never heard it.
VinceValentine

Post by VinceValentine »

Most people from Germany don't know about that name... its a very rare name... but... its South German: from a short form of the personal name Anselm.

Anselm
English and German: from the Germanic personal name Anselm, composed of the elements ans- ‘god’ + helma ‘protection’, ‘helmet’. The personal name was taken to France and England by St Anselm (c.1033–1109), known as the Father of Scholasticism. He was born in Aosta, Italy, joined the Benedictine order at Bec in Normandy, France, and in 1093 became archbishop of Canterbury, England.

I hope that helped Samantha..
Knowing others is intelligence;
knowing the self is enlightenment.
Conquering others is power;
conquering the self is strength.
Fu Su Lu

Post by Fu Su Lu »

Michael Easton wrote:
Fu Su Lu wrote:Second name: Miguel (michael in english) If someone knows about the meaning, im willing to know ;) ) Pretty biblic for a non believer hu? :lol:
Here you go matey:

Michael

From the Hebrew name מִיכָאֵל (Mika'el) which meant "who is like God". This is the name of one of the seven archangels in Hebrew tradition and the only one identified as an archangel in the Bible. In the Book of Revelation in the New Testament he is portrayed as the leader of heaven's armies, and thus is considered the patron saint of soldiers.
Thanks! :D

And by the way, Vince, Anselmo is a relatively common name in Spain (or it was till some decades ago)
Chris_Lightfellow

Post by Chris_Lightfellow »

So, it means "God's Helmet"? That's pretty cool....So it is German....we suspected. My grandpa and his brother had an argument over whether it was German or Swiss. Looks like Grandpa won. XD
And if I saw you dancing, I would spin you around, spin you around, turn your world upside down

Not sure about something? Check the board rules!
bench2hotty

Post by bench2hotty »

I'm Alden it's From a surname which was derived from the Old English given name Aldwyn meaning "old friend". Actually it was a mix of my parent's names which is ALex and eDEN.
I look better in black armor and you know it!
son_michael

Post by son_michael »

Michael Easton wrote:
Here you go matey:

Michael

http://www.behindthename.com/

And my surname:

Easton

This surname is of Anglo-Saxon origin, and is locational from any of the numerous places thus called, for example, in the Isle of Wight, Devonshire, Essex, and Northamptonshire. The general source of the name is the Olde English pre 7th Century elements, "east" meaning "east", plus "-tun" an "enclosure or settlement". The Olde English phrase "be eastan tune" meant "(Place) to the east of a settlement or village". One place thus called in Essex derives its name from the Olde English "eg" meaning "island", plus "-stan(as)", stones, whereas Easton Neston in Northamptonshire comes from the Olde English "Eadstanestun" a compound of the elements "ead", prosperity, "stan", a stone, and "-tune", settlement.

http://www.surnamedb.com/surname.aspx?name=Easton

This is a pretty good idea - something I never would have thought of had it not been for this thread.

wow thanks Mike

once I was told my name meant"who is like the lord" its great to see a full explanation of the truth behind that statement

{yes just as my username says my name is michael} :)

ok my middle name is "Andrew" which someone already stated means"strong and courageous" in greek

and my last name is "Columbia" which apparently{according to wikipedia} was intended to be the name of "The United States of America" in honor of Columbus

very interesting indeed
Pollensalta

Post by Pollensalta »

My name is Beth, which means "my God is a vow" and generally makes no sense at all.
Purr.
Falenan_descent

Post by Falenan_descent »

My name is Beth, which means "my God is a vow" and generally makes no sense at all.
Hehe, well...a vow is a promise right? So then your name would imply that you're supposed to be all faith in your promises, right? I dunno :( I can't make anything of it other than that D: