The smart people!

A forum for non-Suikoden related topics.
Nemesis

Post by Nemesis »

I believe that kids/people who goes to pre-school seems to do much better than the ones that doesn't. Comparing my older sister and I, with my younger sister (who went to pre-school). My younger sister is 3.8+ and above student. I'm just 2.7, and my older sister is 3.5+
addrpg

Post by addrpg »

A smart person adapts what they know to what they do. Someone who isn't smart sees a bunch of wood, learns how to make a cabinet, then is asked to make a shelf, and learns how to make a shelf. A smart person sees a bunch of wood, learns how to make a cabinet, and uses that knowledge to make a shelf.

Smarts are in the aptitude. Intelligence is in the work.
Hinlii the mighty

Post by Hinlii the mighty »

when it comes to me i was really smart when i was a wee child but i always thought about the world so differently and always thinking all day couldn't even sleep....so i got the creative overactive writers mind but after a while my weirdness led me to special ed and everyone thinks i am retarted but i mean people who waste there time getting fat or playing with a damn ipod or sitting on a computer all day wheres the honor wheres the life if i am retarted for living life to the fullest running ,working out, writing and trying to help people who have went threw very horrible times like i have id rather be that you know....sorry if i was ranting i do that sometimes lol....
Crowley's_Apprentice
Banned User

Post by Crowley's_Apprentice »

I'm pretty much a genius (school wise) with a 4.3ish GPA, and I NEVER study. I jumped from french 2 to french 3, and now im a junior in french 4 AP yeeha. I am one of the smartest at Liberty... but...
I
am
very
blonde
I overlook very obvious things. i can't talk and open a two liter of soda without spilling it..
but
that doesn't hamper my will to be a physicist and geneticist!!!
"Giggity Giggity Giggity!!!"--Glen Quagmire
"Victory is mine!"--Stewie Griffin
"Oh that's just nastee..."--Cleveland
"...evil monkey living in my closet..."--Chris Griffin
Nemesis

Post by Nemesis »

a smart person who is clumsy at once. That is very interesting, not mocking.
Crowley's_Apprentice
Banned User

Post by Crowley's_Apprentice »

I would also like to note, unlike Rody I do not have a problem with Bakersfield. For the most part, we're a mix of hicks and mexicans. The small percentage among them like myself, really aren't that bad. I hate it when people complain about Bako... go to college if u hate it that much.
"Giggity Giggity Giggity!!!"--Glen Quagmire
"Victory is mine!"--Stewie Griffin
"Oh that's just nastee..."--Cleveland
"...evil monkey living in my closet..."--Chris Griffin
Eroschilles

Post by Eroschilles »

I find that alot of people who are highly intelligent are also highly eccentric. So people call them book smart, but street dumb because they behave in a manner that suggests they don't really grasp the interaction with people thing. They also have the tendancy for dry humour. So they get misunderstood alot. Any intelligent people here immediately get preyed upon.

I'm speaking mostly of the people have that natural talent to grasp things easily. They can get theories and advanced intellectual things quite easily but for some reason they lack the ability to properly communicate with other people. It could be that some people shun those who are smarter than they due to certain prejudices.

Klutzy and clumsy for an intelligent person makes sense. You cannot have it all. It makes us normal people envious. Good physical motor skillz and high intelligence cannot be together. Just unfair.
Lurker1

Post by Lurker1 »

A smart person to me is someone who can adapt and change to certain situations. :roll: They don't have to be geniuses, have a great memory or excel at any one thing they just have to be willing to learn and have the drive to do so. This could be through reading or some other form of experience. The ones that I consider dumb are the ones who refuse to learn or adapt.

Intelligence is the ability to learn or understand or to deal with new or trying situations period and the people who do this are the smart ones in my book.
Iku

Post by Iku »

i was always above average and got concepts really asily so i didnt actually need to know every thing just the basic jist! thats why i always found biology, chemistry, re, psycology and english really easy but i have always been terrilbe qwith numbers! i really cant do maths i barly scraped a C at GCSE! so i was rather anoyed when i found out chemistry has lost of maths at A level! so ive been struggling! but i get everything that isnt math related!
i have to agree with you all im very ditzy dispite any amount of knowledge i have!
'Believed the evidence of your own eyes, did ya? In a place like this?' Granny Weatherwax
Lobel

Post by Lobel »

I also think there are different ways of being smart! there are also different ways to learn. Some people have to read stuff, some have to hear, some have to work with it practical, you should try to find out (I didn't yet...)

I totally agree with the stuff that some have to learn much to be smart, and some can get systems without learning. But still there are different kinds...

Some people have something like a social understanding, they can understand how people do feel, maybe there's the parental influence, I don't know. they also know how to talk to others and such stuff

Then there is the more theoretical genius, not caring about the other humans but caring for systems and all over the time interested in higher thougts. Usually they're a litlle bit chaotic, and some have problems to live together with other humans or just problems to organise the own life.

I also think that there is something like an instinctive genius, maybe in a spiritual way or whatever. People that feel presence or auras... I don't want to say somebody can talk to dead people, but there are many people realising things that a usual "mortal" couldn't.

and it may be that there are other ways to be clever, some know how to get their will on others, some know how to use others and bla bla bla
However, to know much doesn't mean that you're clever for me, but it may help. All over the world are "smart" politicians discussing over this and that and many times they won't agree with the others. Both sides usually can make understandable why they stand for this and that but usually you just understand "your" side, and can't follow the other sides viewpoint.... (I don't know if that's understandable... if not sorry, my "smart" talking sucks when I leave my german vocabulary :-)
Quantact

Post by Quantact »

I think reading is important to developing the brain, but it's not the only way. If you're keeping your brain sharp by "exercising" it, challenging it, then I think you can develop regardless. For example, I don't read too much, but I write a ton, so that helps a lot. Also, I don't think mere intelligence is enough. I went to a top university where you'd think everyone would be "smart," but a lot of people were pretty cookie-cutter. That is, they knew how to write papers and take tests very well, but at the same time they were boring, had undeveloped personalities, and their idea of fun consisted of drinking and having sex, and little else. It's not merely your potential, it's what you do with it.
Onix

Post by Onix »

Smart people huh?
I myself am not that outstanding in school, but in sports, i'm "good". In fact, I'm a repeater.
I asked how my classmates study, they say that they listen to the teacher and read the book. I have a classmate who meticoulously takes a test, she always passes the testpaper last, she told me she reads her book 24/7. Some excel in their studies because they're pressured by their parents, maybe.
Persmerga

Post by Persmerga »

Concerning smart i wouldn't say im uber smart but i can hold my own but thats i'd say is because i known what i wanted and i always worked hard for it and im still doing it lol so basicly if your not gifted with the brains of Einstein and there something you really wanna do then just work hard :wink: and you can do it!!

I know alot of people who were just gifted when it comes to being uber smart and they just seem to know a hell of alot of stuff easily lol it's often wierd how they remember all lol.
Some hooligan keeps disconnecting the alarm. I told Security to look into it. But no, no, they'd rather catch the guy who's stealing organs from the transplant ward!!
Lobel

Post by Lobel »

aahh....to remember.... that's a point.... I think I should stop smoke dope for getting back my memory and... what did I think some moments ago? :wink:

but come on people, are you all just suffering that some have good memory and some not? Or did I truly point every wiseness that you can imagine? Well I don't think so.... but if yes I've to give new thoughts....

what do you think about that the "smart" ones are the ones that suffer the most?!? Do you agree?
Raging Barows Brat

Post by Raging Barows Brat »

Yes, “smart” is really a relative term. Especially considering there are several different types of “IQ” and everyone scores higher on some and low on others (analytical IQ, mechanical IQ, verbal IQ, athletic IQ, artistic IQ, etc.). I forget how many different ones there are. Some people are better and more gifted in some areas, while others are more gifted elsewhere. But it makes smart more difficult to define. Thus, we get those like Onix, who are good at sports but not so much in academics, and vice versa.

Plus, current IQ and standardized tests do not measure how smart one is: they measure how well one can take a standardized test. I have come across many very, very bright people who fail just because they cannot take those tests. This applies particularly with those who come from lower socioeconomic backgrounds and non-mainstream cultures. I've met many like Hinlii the mighty above. Often they are very smart: they just either have been deprived of life experiences, or they have a different way of learning that standardized tests are not geared towards. In the current US school system, it is largely the underprivileged who are labeled underachievers and such, when that isn’t fair; it’s not their fault the tests they’re being scrutinized under are tailored towards middle class ways of thinking.

And Lobel, I have heard that before. I think that notion might stem back to Greek mythology. Smart people I think can tend to be most miserable, or at least cynical. I think for example very educated people become cynical and bitter and feel powerless in a way because they know about many of the brutal realities of the world and know at the same time that there is nothing you can do about it. College has a way of making you angry and bitter with some of the stuff they teach you. So yes, I would say that “to be smart is to be miserable” might be true to some extent. Especially if you spend all your time and effort on education and then the subsequent career is a let-down, or nonexistent. Particularly with a lousy economy and outsourcing going on, it seems like education, while rising in cost, is cheapening in value.

On the other hand, as they say, ignorance is bliss. :)

At the same time if you are very smart and very wise, you might not be so miserable, since wisdom affords the ability to see the transitory nature of things.

Edit: Reading through that, I'm not exactly sure if any of that makes a damn bit of sense to anyone save myself. :?
Alcholism is a disease, but it's like the only disease that you can get yelled at for having. "Dammit, Otto, you're an alcoholic." "Dammit, Otto, you have lupus." One of those two doesn't sound right. --Mitch Hedberg