[Guide] Counter-attack and Strike-Back Rune

A forum for people who have played the game concerning the Sun Rune War to answer gameplay questions.
KFCrispy
Global Admin

[Guide] Counter-attack and Strike-Back Rune

Post by KFCrispy »

the Strike-Back Rune activates when the character is hit by a physical attack directed at them and doesn't apply to Wpn/Shd Defense, dodge/miss or Parry, seems to only work on enemies that are deemed counter-able. you know your character has performed Strike-Back when he/she looks like he/she is doing an extra normal attack directed at the enemy who hit him/her.
certain enemies cannot be "strike-backed" - examples are archers and enemies that have a combination multi-hit attack. getting struck by magic doesn't trigger a return fire either. getting whipped by a Dragon or Ulse's tail swipe if they are not the "center of attention" doesn't do anything. since it's an extra normal attack, it can still miss (hopefully ya don't get countered, that would be sad). A character equipped with a Wall Rune and a Strike-Back Rune will still not be able to attack.

this unrelated list is a list of characters who can "Thrust Back", which is counter after a parry or "weapon defense". these are the only characters who can equip a Counter Rune--
Characters who can Thrust Back / use Counter Rune
Prince
Belcoot
Cius
Dinn
Galleon
Georg
Hazuki
Kyle
Lelei
Miakis
Nick
Rahal
Raven
Richard
Roog
Roy
Shigure
Yahr

Shoon/Nikea are able to counter on evades, but the Counter Rune doesn't support this type of counter-attack...
Last edited by KFCrispy on Fri Jan 19, 2007 8:31 pm, edited 5 times in total.
Georg in his Prime

Post by Georg in his Prime »

I equipped Gavaya with a strike-back orb and everytime he is hit he counters the person who attacked him...are you sure it doesn't work with everyone? Zegai is really slow, are you sure your not mistaking his counter attack for his regular attack? When I get time I will experiment with different characters to see if the strike-back rune works for everyone.
Haitani

Post by Haitani »

My thoery is that strike-back works on the correct attack range u know...

S - M - L... If the enemy is on the range, and the attack didn´t missed/got parried/anything like, then it will counter, IF the char is on that range restriction.

But that is just what i think. Not sure, maybe someone who uses gamefaqs or something like that may confirm it or flame me for giving unnacurate information.

Bye
None yet
KFCrispy
Global Admin

Post by KFCrispy »

when Zegai was atked, he would do nothing--that's "nothing happened"
i'll have to test the Strike-Back rune later. maybe it's not the same as Counter Orb, since it's a different action, correct? i think i've seen it work once, on Zweig. he returned an attack, and then it was his turn to attack, so it looked like he made 2 completely separate attacks. but it only worked once out of the many times he was attacked.
KFCrispy
Global Admin

Post by KFCrispy »

the Strike-Back Rune activates when the character is hit by a physical attack directed at them and doesn't apply to Wpn/Shd Defense, dodge/miss or Parry, seems to only work on enemies that are deemed counter-able. for instance, archers are never "strike-backed" nor enemies that have a combination multi-hit attack. getting struck by magic doesn't trigger a return fire either. getting whipped by a Dragon or Ulse's tail swipe if they are not the "center of attention" doesn't do anything. i think you can still miss the return attack, though.. the Hunter Rune still missed-a-plenty on strike-backs but i have yet to see it miss without a Hunter Rune and get countered/parried for that matter.
Red Killey
Elite Member

Post by Red Killey »

KFCrispy wrote:but i have yet to see it miss without a Hunter Rune and get countered/parried for that matter.
Strike Back Rune can definitely miss. It's pretty much just like a "normal attack" that happened after you got hit (by the things that would trigger the Strike Back Rune). So it can miss, it can be blocked, and it can critical too.
The new chief of moderating team. If you notice any problems within the discussion forum, do inform me. Thank you.
KFCrispy
Global Admin

Post by KFCrispy »

thanks. i updated the info at the top.
thcrock
Global Admin

Post by thcrock »

If it appears that people miss less on Strike-Backs, maybe an enemy that is being Struck Back At loses some of their EVA stat. Just a thought.
KFCrispy
Global Admin

Post by KFCrispy »

Gavaya is a great choice with Strike-Back. low evade, high HP almost guarantees getting hit and surviving. he is the only character with Freeze skill, i believe.. i think it disables the enemy for the next round (if it doesn't, it's not an "added-value" for Strike-Back.. i will test when i play again). plus he has poor accuracy, and since it seems characters return attacks with a higher accuracy, it's definitely helpful. with his high attack and Eyeball Rings, he can recover a good chunk of HP every time he's hit to keep on truckin'.

with 2 other rune slots to work with, there are plenty of options (he will work just fine with Crazed unless you want unites or special attacks). Firefly or just use the Formation or just stick him in the front row. btw, enemies with short/medium "range" can only attack characters who are in the front few rows and exposed..

almost forgot to mention.. he can equip heavy armor sets such as Samurai or Windspun.
genso19

Re: Counter-attack and Strike-Back

Post by genso19 »

@KFCrispy

byakuren has also freeze (but considering the time of posts I guess I'm too late to post T_T)

also, Strike-Back rune and wall rune doesn't work together (Well I tried it on Rahal, With wall rune, strike-back and firefly)

Yeah, Counter attacks and strike-backs are different

and also, you can use strike-back runes to abuse Killer Rune (especially the instant death)
"Hey, listen up! These Godwin traitors got no respect for justice. And sure, sometimes justice is just a little word. But sometimes justice is three feet of sharp steel smashing in your face. Now, let's go get 'em!"
KFCrispy
Global Admin

Re: [Guide] Counter-attack and Strike-Back

Post by KFCrispy »

has anyone used Strike-Back on a L range character? i'm wondering if it works at all and if it has other properties - maybe they will attack back at an archer or something.
Update: Strike-Back works exactly the same way for L range characters.
KFCrispy
Global Admin

Re: [Guide] Counter-attack and Strike-Back

Post by KFCrispy »

i've noticed the Zombie and Mummy's attacks don't trigger Strike-Back, and neither does the Fire Dragon's physical attacks. The Fire Dragon's attacks are considered Long Range (it'll often fly "through" the front lines and swipe at the archer or magician in the back), so I suppose that's why Strike-Back doesn't work. but i don't know why the Zombie/Mummy's attack doesn't trigger it!

Golem single-hit punches also don't activate Strike-Back. a lot exceptions....
Celes
Global Admin

Re: [Guide] Counter-attack and Strike-Back Rune

Post by Celes »

Most of the info here is part of the Runes List. I don't see the point of this topic beeing sticky anymore ...