Publications - Novels and Comics

Ask about, or share details for, various Suikoden collectables; such as cards, soundtracks and publications.
EnigmaticThief

Post by EnigmaticThief »

patapi wrote:http://www.amazon.co.jp/gp/product/4840235716

What is this? Looks like some kind of novel.
It may be an official illustration collection to go with the comic anthologies.
Basel

Post by Basel »

patapi wrote:http://www.amazon.co.jp/gp/product/4840235716

What is this? Looks like some kind of novel.
You are right, it is a novel.
"The real issue is not TALENT as an independent element, but talent in relationship to WILL, DESIRE, AND PERSISTENCE. Talent without these things VANISHES and even modest talent with those characteristics GROWS..." -Milton Glaser
thcrock
Global Admin

Post by thcrock »

According to dragonmasterx and Vector Xthonic, the name given to the Prince here is Freyjadour (or Freyadour), shortened to Frey. This is indicated in the product reviews on Amazon.
Feldoon

Post by Feldoon »

Hmm, interesting. Freyadour eh? It'll be 100% confirmed when somebody gets their hands on the novel then?
thcrock
Global Admin

Post by thcrock »

Well, if you think the reviews are for some reason lying about the name, I guess.

The name makes sense. To quote Vector Xthonic:
The name itself is a combination of the Norse mythology "Freyja" (who happens to be the wife of the Norse sun deity) and the French ending "dour" which means "person." So the name makes sense in a way, because the prince comes from a family that owns the Sun rune, and thus are "human representatives of the sun." So I'd say a good name would be "Freyjadour Falenas" while his nickname would be "Frey."
dragonmasterx
Elite Member

Post by dragonmasterx »

Feldoon wrote:Hmm, interesting. Freyadour eh? It'll be 100% confirmed when somebody gets their hands on the novel then?
Googling the Japanese name to find a kajillion hits and scouring the Japanese Suikoden BBS, which I've already done, is just as good a confirmation.
Chris_Lightfellow

Post by Chris_Lightfellow »

KoRnholio wrote:Well, if you think the reviews are for some reason lying about the name, I guess.

The name makes sense. To quote Vector Xthonic:
The name itself is a combination of the Norse mythology "Freyja" (who happens to be the wife of the Norse sun deity) and the French ending "dour" which means "person." So the name makes sense in a way, because the prince comes from a family that owns the Sun rune, and thus are "human representatives of the sun." So I'd say a good name would be "Freyjadour Falenas" while his nickname would be "Frey."
I find it odd that they chose Freya as his namesake, so to speak. I wonder why they didn't choose her brother, Freyr, or the Greek sun god, Helios (and if someone says it's Apollo, they're wrong). Freyr would make more sense if they wanted to go Norse since he's in charge of the "shining of the sun".
And if I saw you dancing, I would spin you around, spin you around, turn your world upside down

Not sure about something? Check the board rules!
thcrock
Global Admin

Post by thcrock »

Well, 'Freyrdour' just sounds weird. Adding the 'a' makes it roll off the tongue much better.
son_michael

Post by son_michael »

wow so the prince's name has been confirmed then?

so how do we pronounce his name?
Basel

Post by Basel »

The fourth comic anthology will be released on 2006/11/1 with ASIN: 4757730071 according to this Amazon JP listing:
幻想水滸伝V アンソロジーコミック 4 (コミック)

EDIT: the second novel is out as well:
幻想水滸伝5〈2〉 (文庫)
"The real issue is not TALENT as an independent element, but talent in relationship to WILL, DESIRE, AND PERSISTENCE. Talent without these things VANISHES and even modest talent with those characteristics GROWS..." -Milton Glaser
Feldoon

Post by Feldoon »

son_michael wrote:wow so the prince's name has been confirmed then?

so how do we pronounce his name?
I assume as Fray-Ah-Door. Rolls off the tongue so well, actually.
Chris_Lightfellow

Post by Chris_Lightfellow »

I would assume so since that's how Freya is pronouced. Unless they went with -dour to rhyme with sour. But that would just sound wierd.
And if I saw you dancing, I would spin you around, spin you around, turn your world upside down

Not sure about something? Check the board rules!
Nanashi

Post by Nanashi »

Sounds like a name from middle Earth :lol:

Like in NWN ~ Lord AlingoDAR!
Crimson Phoenix

Post by Crimson Phoenix »

While those theories about his name do sound good. I've been thinking. Couldn't his name be Theodore? Just say the pronunciation a number of times and it makes sense. フレイアドゥール, Fureiadouru, Theodore. Maybe his name is as simple as that. I mean the last hero's name was Lazlo so why not Theodore? Prince Theodore. Having taken linguistics in university this is my take on the name.
thcrock
Global Admin

Post by thcrock »

Well, the Sun connection of Freyjadour is enough to convince me otherwise.