video game spoken languages..

A forum for non-Suikoden related topics.
Pollensalta

Post by Pollensalta »

I like how a lot of people are like, "Omg, it's Japanese voice acting so it must be better!"

I don't speak Japanese, so I don't know what tones they're supposed to be using. We don't even know if it's good or bad because we can't understand them without subtitles. So I agree with Auragaea, unless it's like, Baten Kaitos voice acting, because that was bad.
Purr.
Oppenheimer
Global Admin

Post by Oppenheimer »

Pollensalta wrote: Baten Kaitos voice acting, because that was bad.
I couldn't agree more. I had to just stop playing that game because of the voice acting even though I didn't mind the rest of it.

I like Simlish from The Sims and the voices in ICO and Shadow of the Colossus where they weren't even Japanese they were just gibberish but you could still make out people's names (like The Wanderer's horse).
Red Killey
Elite Member

Post by Red Killey »

I think it's a matter of what the object is. It's not whether it's English or Japanese or whatever language, but what the object is and what the object is associated to. Personally, I associate most RPGs and anime with Japanese language, but that doesn't mean it has to be Japanese for everything. I bet it's going to be very weird playing Spiderman game and hearing Japanese instead of English for me because I associate Spiderman with English instead of Japanese.

So for me, it's a matter of the particular game/anime/movie/whatever because I associate them differently from one another. And of course, also the quality of the voice acting rather than the language itself.
The new chief of moderating team. If you notice any problems within the discussion forum, do inform me. Thank you.
Pollensalta

Post by Pollensalta »

Oppenheimer wrote:
I couldn't agree more. I had to just stop playing that game because of the voice acting even though I didn't mind the rest of it.

I like Simlish from The Sims and the voices in ICO and Shadow of the Colossus where they weren't even Japanese they were just gibberish but you could still make out people's names (like The Wanderer's horse).
I suggest you put it back in and mute it then, because aside from the atrocious voices, that's one amazing game.

and yeah! Simlish is fun. I like how in the Sims 2, they took real-life songs and did voiceovers in Simlish. It was cool ^_^
Purr.
EnigmaticThief

Post by EnigmaticThief »

I would prefer to have Japanese voice-acting with english subtitles in video games.

The main reason why I say that is because of the voice actors/seiyuus themselves. When a game is localized for the US the voice acting gets handed to a small dubbing company, such as Ocean Group, who use only their contracted VAs to get the job done. So, you get a handfull of VAs to do a myriad of roles, with some like Michael McConnohie and Lia Sargent crossing into multiple roles, where eventually their voices end up sounding the same. In the original production, the game's creators have a much more freedom in casting; as in, they actually hold auditions. A game that is cast well will sound much better than one where the parts are simply divvied up according to character sex and age.

I'll also agree that certain expressions often used in games simply sound better in Japanese. Phrases like "Mada mada!" and "Koitsu de todome da!" are expressions with very loose translations, and are better left alone.
Waylander

Post by Waylander »

Pollensalta wrote:
Oppenheimer wrote:

I suggest you put it back in and mute it then, because aside from the atrocious voices, that's one amazing game.

and yeah! Simlish is fun. I like how in the Sims 2, they took real-life songs and did voiceovers in Simlish. It was cool ^_^
I second all of that.