Godwins are Nazis?

Ask questions about the events that take place during the Suikoden games themselves.
Lord Ragner

Godwins are Nazis?

Post by Lord Ragner »

During the game has anyone else noticed that the attitude and policies of the Godwin family when they have Sol-Falena very closely resemble those of Nazi Germany? The first such example is their insistence that the nation have one culture and a very strong military. There is also their attempted exterminations of all the demihumans and Raftfleet (who seem to be mirrors of gypsies another group the Nazis tried to exterminate.) Also when the “rebel” army is giving them trouble the partner with the nation of Armes, a country they insist is inferior and will be their first target once the Godwins have secured their power. (Much the same as when Germany and the Soviet Union signed the non –aggression treaty.)
Rivera

Post by Rivera »

They did remind me a lot of Nazis especially wanting the whole "Falena for Falenans" deal where they wanted to exterminate other races.
What is most important to you? Will you give me the happiness of taking it away from you?
Qbwpij

Post by Qbwpij »

Yeah, they did. Which was a really good plot device to make us hate the Godwins, actually.
Rivera

Post by Rivera »

There's also the matter of appearances. Marscal was bald-headed, with a mustache, which I've seen in stereotypical Bald Nazi designs in movies and other games and whatnot. Gizel was your typical blonde-hair blue-eyed poster boy. Add to that their highly militant personality.

Poor Lym. I'm sure Gizel later in life would have also lost his hair to the plague that is male-pattern baldness...

There's even a sort of parallel to Europe and Falena. Here's this faction gaining support to a level that people who do not support it are afraid (NPC comments in Sol Falena are rampant with concern about Godwin's rise to power, as well as the Royal Family itself), then they become THE ruling faction, and begin supressing anyone that doesn't swear loyalty completely with the goal of once they have unified Falena using the Sun Rune to conquer other countries.

It sort of makes you wonder if Godwin had succeeded what would happen in the rest of the Suikoden World as far as war and supressing a Godwin-controlled Falena.
What is most important to you? Will you give me the happiness of taking it away from you?
SpecialNewb

Heh well

Post by SpecialNewb »

...Cathari makes a reference to Harmonia "intervening" if things don't "turn out right."

So I gather they'd get an influx of HVG members, or maybe just 6 Harmonian Armies invading at once.
Rivera

Post by Rivera »

I think eventually Harmonia will still come to claim the Sun Rune seeing as their objective is to hold all 27 True Runes...
Komataguri

Post by Komataguri »

Rivera wrote:I think eventually Harmonia will still come to claim the Sun Rune seeing as their objective is to hold all 27 True Runes...

Perhaps

but Harmonia is more content to leave a powerful rune in the hands of a pacifist nation, then in a nation that the Godwins idealized....Where they would use the power of the sun rune on all nations who did not submit to them.

Harmonia saw the sun run in a militeristic nation controlled by power hungry fools a great threat.
Rivera

Post by Rivera »

Very true, not to mention Falena is at a Geographical advantage being far removed from Harmonia, unlike the unfortunate Grasslands who are right next door.

Likely in a conquest scenario Falena would be one of the last places Harmonia would want to mess with.
jonathan_priest

Post by jonathan_priest »

Yes, I'd say Harmonia would definately be loath to attack Falena after what we saw. Strong military with geographical advantages. The only country who'd come close in giving Harmonia problems of conquest would be Toran, who not only have the strongest military force in the suikoden world in the Dragon Knights, but also the dwarves who create stuff like the Burning Mirror that was as destructive as the True Fire Rune.
"It doesn't matter if the glass is half empty or half full...what matters is the glass."