the beast rune

A forum for people who have played the game concerning the Sun Rune War to answer gameplay questions.
gren

the beast rune

Post by gren »

ernst has a beast rune....any chance this is the real deal?
Seldio

Post by Seldio »

I doubt that for some reason.
I think this rune is kind of an offspring of the True Beast Rune, like the Condemnation Rune is the offspring of the Rune of Punishment.
Master

Post by Master »

Huh another guy had a beast rune in suikoden 2 which wasn't a real one... remember the werewolf? it's just an offspring of the true beast rune.
Sailor

Post by Sailor »

Nope, it's not the real deal. From what I've read about the true Beast Rune, no human is able to bear it on their body. It's too powerful/unpredictable and would consume them.
Komataguri

Post by Komataguri »

Sailor wrote:Nope, it's not the real deal. From what I've read about the true Beast Rune, no human is able to bear it on their body. It's too powerful/unpredictable and would consume them.
True.

This are just offshoots of the beast rune that give the users the ability to..well, have something to do with beasts XD
gren

Post by gren »

but i thought the guy from suikoden 2 was from a lycan village to begin with... but if it were a beast rune, why the diffrence between the two? shouldnt they both be wolves?
Komataguri

Post by Komataguri »

gren wrote:but i thought the guy from suikoden 2 was from a lycan village to begin with... but if it were a beast rune, why the diffrence between the two? shouldnt they both be wolves?
Unless there is more than one variant on the transformation type beast runes.
Desides

Post by Desides »

When Levi mentioned the Beast Rune (where are you people getting "True Beast Rune" from? That particular rune doesn't have True in its name...) he was referring to the rune Ernst bears as perhaps being an offspring of the Beast Rune, rather than the Beast Rune itself. At the time of Suikoden V, the Beast Rune is still in L'Renouille.

Due to the usual "here's what the Stars of Destiny did after the game ended" text, there's reason to think Ernst's rune might not have anything to do with the actual Beast Rune, unless there's some history involved that we're not aware of.
Raww Le Klueze
Global Admin

Post by Raww Le Klueze »

Sailor wrote:Nope, it's not the real deal. From what I've read about the true Beast Rune, no human is able to bear it on their body. It's too powerful/unpredictable and would consume them.
The reason no human can bear it is because it made itself too big to be put on a human, it simply doesn't want to.

And Ernst rune can't possibly be the "real deal" if for no other reason than that the Beast Rune is at the time of Suikoden V attached to the castle in L'Renouille and has been for decades.
Harmonian Zealot

Post by Harmonian Zealot »

Is it possible that this is a translation error, as opposed to a continuity problem (Like the True Holy Rune)?
~~YOU WIN BY PINCER ATTACK!~~
ClearCanvas

Post by ClearCanvas »

It's a translation (well, more continuity) error.

To clarify, the Beast Rune in Suikoden II used the Kanji for "Beast."

The Beast Rune in Suikoden V uses a combination of the Kanji for "Beast" and "Magic".

Therefore, if there wasn't already a "Beast Rune" in the Suikoverse, "Beast Rune" would have been an OK translation.

As far as the two runes, I think Levi said they are related to each other, like the Rune of Punishment and the Condemnation Rune.

Anyway, a better translation for Ernst's Rune might have been "Wild Rune" or something like that to avoid this confusion.
KFCrispy
Global Admin

Post by KFCrispy »

or Beast Magic Rune -_-
Komataguri

Post by Komataguri »

ClearCanvas wrote:It's a translation (well, more continuity) error.

To clarify, the Beast Rune in Suikoden II used the Kanji for "Beast."

The Beast Rune in Suikoden V uses a combination of the Kanji for "Beast" and "Magic".

Therefore, if there wasn't already a "Beast Rune" in the Suikoverse, "Beast Rune" would have been an OK translation.

As far as the two runes, I think Levi said they are related to each other, like the Rune of Punishment and the Condemnation Rune.

Anyway, a better translation for Ernst's Rune might have been "Wild Rune" or something like that to avoid this confusion.

How about the Wild Beast Rune - Nekomimi mode. XD
Sailor

Post by Sailor »

Desides wrote:When Levi mentioned the Beast Rune (where are you people getting "True Beast Rune" from? That particular rune doesn't have True in its name...) he was referring to the rune Ernst bears as perhaps being an offspring of the Beast Rune, rather than the Beast Rune itself. At the time of Suikoden V, the Beast Rune is still in L'Renouille.

Due to the usual "here's what the Stars of Destiny did after the game ended" text, there's reason to think Ernst's rune might not have anything to do with the actual Beast Rune, unless there's some history involved that we're not aware of.
I referred to it as the true Beast Rune, not True Beast Rune. Difference there being the way I put it referred to how the one I was talking about was the actual Beast Rune, which is a True Rune, and not an offshoot like Ernst's. When you capitalize the "true" then you mean for it to be part of the name, which it isn't.
fostin

Post by fostin »

i think that the rune the lycaon Bob has in suikoden 2 is the rabbit fang rune, which allows lycaons to keep a human form. I don't think it's related to the beast rune.