Character name translations/New Character Speculation

Closed with the JP release. Use the respective Plot/Setting and Gameplay forums, now.
Yuki Tenkai

Character name translations/New Character Speculation

Post by Yuki Tenkai »

I wanted to collect all the names of the characters those names are translated into English in one place. So far, there have been many translations of names, and there are many names of characters who are just being noticed, when we didn't know their names in the first place. If anyone has a character's name that has been translated that they would like to put on this topic, please do.

That said, here's a character I just noticed. On jeuxfrance.com, I was looking at their screenshots, and they have a screenshot of the hero dueling with a red-haired guy named Chuck. I noticed this guy on one of the Suikoden V posters, but I had never seen him before.

Here's a link: http://www.jeux-france.com/afficher_ima ... _9_big.jpg

There's another screenshot of him dueling with the hero at IGN. I also noticed that one of the beaver's names is Muroon. He's the beaver with glasses. He seems to be a repairman for the dams in Falena.

So if anybody has any name translations, by all means, post away. Thanks.
Last edited by Yuki Tenkai on Sun Feb 12, 2006 2:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
"And as for the the end of the World, you need not worry. No one should worry about such a thing right now..."
-Leknaat, Suikoden IV
SnowKing

Post by SnowKing »

These have already been noticed in the gamespot trailers and screenshots. Other English names include:

Arshtat
Sialeeds
Lyon
Georg
Galleon
Ferid
Shoon

Also, Barows is spelt with only one r in the trailer, rather than the two that were being used.

As far as I know, these are the only other enlish names so far (aside from Chuck and Muroon.)

SK
"Barking dogs may occaisionally bite, but laughing men hardly ever shoot."
Yuki Tenkai

Post by Yuki Tenkai »

Kyle and Miakis keep their names in the English translation, as well. I also noticed Boz in the english trailer, who is the axe dude on the suikox.com character list.
"And as for the the end of the World, you need not worry. No one should worry about such a thing right now..."
-Leknaat, Suikoden IV
sonic_Reaper

Post by sonic_Reaper »

Were these the "intended" names or are the translators having a field day? Lyon and Ferid sound like a case of the ol' _r_ and l mix-up. Rionne and Felid sound like the proper names; but if the English translations are indeed the "intended" names, then whatever.

Note: A single "_R_" is automatically bloated into the word "ARE" ... how very ... annoying.
son_michael

Post by son_michael »

konami america cant be blamed for the name problems...sakiyama himself is overseeing the english translations..that means we really cant blame the translaters

its sakiyama's fault...
Angelis_Taleria
Elite Member

Post by Angelis_Taleria »

We can't blame anyone. If they're being translated as Konami wants it , we can't call them wrong. It's their story and we have no say what so ever. They could translate Arshtat to Jack and we still wouldn't have the right to complain, but I'm sure we'll do it any way.
I hope everything is going delicious.
himurokoken

Post by himurokoken »

sonic_Reaper wrote:Were these the "intended" names or are the translators having a field day? Lyon and Ferid sound like a case of the ol' _r_ and l mix-up. Rionne and Felid sound like the proper names; but if the English translations are indeed the "intended" names, then whatever.

Note: A single "_R_" is automatically bloated into the word "ARE" ... how very ... annoying.
*waves*

Apparently it's how the director and staff members wanted the English names to be.
Yuki Tenkai

Post by Yuki Tenkai »

Some of the translations make me grind my teeth a bit, but after time I'm sure we'll all get used to them. It's been the same in past games, as well.
-Leknaat, Suikoden IV
Vextor
Global Admin

Post by Vextor »

Ferid's name seems to come from the ancient Persian story of Shahnameh, imvolving the hero Feridoun and how he defeats the evil King Zohak (Zahak).
Also, Zohak kills his own father, King Mirtas, to become king. "Mirtas" is the name given to Arshtat's uncle, and presumably the father of Marscarl.
dragonmasterx
Elite Member

Post by dragonmasterx »

Did you know that off the top of your head or did you do a bit of google work? Because I definitely would have to have done the latter to know something like that.

Or another possibility is you're a big mythology fan at heart, so you really do know it all off the top of your head?
Yuki Tenkai

Post by Yuki Tenkai »

I was wondering the same thing.

I can think of a couple other names that came from Mythology as well, but I think we know these. Dzerassa is the daughter of the sea god in Scythian mythology. I couldn't find much of anything on her, except that she was one of the few goddesses in Scythian society that had any major influence. Being the daughter of Poseidon, she was important in Scythia.

Also, Arshtat. She was The Zoroastrian angel of wealth and justice, and there wasn't much else I could find, besides something about a day or month in the Zoroastrian calendar with her name. Personally, I find it cool that Konami is branching into middle-eastern names and culture..seeing as Falena is somewhat Egyptian inspired and the Queen's name comes from a culture that existed in Iran a long time ago.

EDIT: Fun fact..I saw that "Tir" is the name of another day on the Zoroastrian calendar.
-Leknaat, Suikoden IV
HolyPaladin

Post by HolyPaladin »

Yuki Tenkai wrote:I was wondering the same thing.

I can think of a couple other names that came from Mythology as well, but I think we know these. Dzerassa is the daughter of the sea god in Scythian mythology. I couldn't find much of anything on her, except that she was one of the few goddesses in Scythian society that had any major influence. Being the daughter of Poseidon, she was important in Scythia.

Also, Arshtat. She was The Zoroastrian angel of wealth and justice, and there wasn't much else I could find, besides something about a day or month in the Zoroastrian calendar with her name. Personally, I find it cool that Konami is branching into middle-eastern names and culture..seeing as Falena is somewhat Egyptian inspired and the Queen's name comes from a culture that existed in Iran a long time ago.

EDIT: Fun fact..I saw that "Tir" is the name of another day on the Zoroastrian calendar.
At the SuikoX Forums, Sars has mention everything before your edit comment. I think Sars knows these facts because he's a history buff.
Showcasing Q here because he's the man! 8) Er, robot. :oops: Wait, cyborg...? :? OK, just what is Q, anyway?!
Oh, and please call me Paladin for short.
Yuki Tenkai

Post by Yuki Tenkai »

I know he mentioned most of that, but it didn't hurt to mention it again. I have a question that someone may or may not be able to answer for me, though...is it Eurum Barows or Euram Barows? I'm comfused about that at this time.
-Leknaat, Suikoden IV
Luther

Post by Luther »

Yuki Tenkai wrote:I know he mentioned most of that, but it didn't hurt to mention it again. I have a question that someone may or may not be able to answer for me, though...is it Eurum Barows or Euram Barows? I'm comfused about that at this time.
In japanese, it's ユーラム, and actually the only known to be official. Literally, it is : YUURAMU, and it is about spelled "you-ram" (with the a as in "I am").
Now, how translators have done it? We'll see :) Maybe Euram, Eurum, Yuram, Yurlam... there are many possibilities.
Yuki Tenkai

Post by Yuki Tenkai »

Thank you for the explanation! I certainly hope it's not "Yurlam". Eurum sounds the most..."sophisticated" out of them, and I would think Konami would pick that name, seeing as he is a sophisticated man.
-Leknaat, Suikoden IV