[FAQ] Loading Suikoden 4 data

A forum to ask people who have played the games about gameplay questions.
koma

[FAQ] Loading Suikoden 4 data

Post by koma »

Ok ok, I apologize if this has been asked a bajillion times, but Im having trouble finding the information I desire. I have read many FAQ's and threads about loading Suikoden 4 data into Suikoden tactics, and most of the answers I found often contradict themselves. I just want to know once and for all, how this is done the RIGHT way, lol.

So this is exactly what I have done: I found all 108 SoD's in Suikoden 4, finished the game, then saved the game when prompted (after the credits finish rolling) Thats it...I havent started a new game from that data or anything.

So I started Suikoden Tactics today, and was prompted to load Suikoden 4 data, and I did so, using the file mentioned above.

Was this done correctly? Will I get the 'secret characters' mentioned in other FAQ's etc etc. Im asking this, as the hero from Suikoden 4 is simply called 'local boy' in the very first level, so Im wondering if I did this correctly.
HolyPaladin

Post by HolyPaladin »

Whether you playing New Game or New Game +, your file needs to have all 108 Stars in it. The most secure choice would be to use data with the 108 Stars in it that is saved at the last savepoint in Fort El-Eal. By saving right before the last boss, you'll easily be able to remember to use that save data.
Last edited by HolyPaladin on Sun Jan 25, 2015 7:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Showcasing Q here because he's the man! 8) Er, robot. :oops: Wait, cyborg...? :? OK, just what is Q, anyway?!
Oh, and please call me Paladin for short.
Oppenheimer
Global Admin

Post by Oppenheimer »

The file you used will work.

What you used is the Clear Game data that contained 108 stars. That is sufficent, as is data saved before the credits roll as Christian soldier pointed out.

What will not work is New Game + data that does not contain 108 stars in that current play through.
koma

Post by koma »

Thankyou! Thats all I needed to know :D
Un_Colombiano

Post by Un_Colombiano »

since we are talking about loading data....

wat extras do you get for loading a Cleared Game data that has 108 stars?
son_michael

Post by son_michael »

you get lazlo and snowe in suikoden tactics

thats all you get for loading your data
MatildaWhiteKnightLeader

Post by MatildaWhiteKnightLeader »

Lazlo will become one of the most powerful characters in the game with his RoP and is essential in having an easier time in achieving S ranks in battles on your first playthrough.
Strategy is the key to victory!
Un_Colombiano

Post by Un_Colombiano »

whos Lazlo...if its a spoiler character dont say anymore!
Buff

Post by Buff »

Un_Colombiano wrote:whos Lazlo...if its a spoiler character dont say anymore!
lazlo is the official name of the main character in suikoden 4.
Un_Colombiano

Post by Un_Colombiano »

heh, wat a strange name to give to him
Agremsep

Post by Agremsep »

If you follow any guide, you will be able to recruit the secret characters early on the game. From there, you will know if you load data works or not.
Buff

Post by Buff »

Agremsep wrote:If you follow any guide, you will be able to recruit the secret characters early on the game. From there, you will know if you load data works or not.
you'll know when you first visit kingdom of obel.after that you leave and enter it again and see if lino en kuldes shows up in the gossip menu.
son_michael

Post by son_michael »

try talking to Lino when caleron laboratory opens up, thats usually the best time to talk to lino and then head to the deserted island
Komataguri

Post by Komataguri »

Does Lazlo or Snowe keep their levels from Suiko4?

Do they keep their equipment?

Does the potch or anything other than simply obtaining Lazlo and Snowe come from loading Suiko4 data?
patapi
Forum Moderator

Post by patapi »

Komataguri wrote:Does Lazlo or Snowe keep their levels from Suiko4?
No. Hero's level will match Kyril's.
Snowe always joins at Lv 1.
Do they keep their equipment?
No.
Does the potch or anything other than simply obtaining Lazlo and Snowe come from loading Suiko4 data?
The Hero's name will appear among one of the suggested names for the Deserted Island. That's the only other effect that I've seen so far, besides recruiting those two characters into your group.
Buff wrote:
Agremsep wrote:If you follow any guide, you will be able to recruit the secret characters early on the game. From there, you will know if you load data works or not.
you'll know when you first visit kingdom of obel.after that you leave and enter it again and see if lino en kuldes shows up in the gossip menu.
Lino doesn't appear in the Gossip section until you fought the second story battle at El-Eal.

The earliest sign of a working data transfer is when your Hero's name get mentioned by the Merchant on Deserted Island. You get access to that island once you accept Rene's quest or any of the Chiepoo/X quests that requires you to go there.
Buff wrote:
Un_Colombiano wrote:whos Lazlo...if its a spoiler character dont say anymore!
lazlo is the official name of the main character in suikoden 4.
There's no official name for him, but this is the name that the English fanbase have grown accustomed to use in place of the generic [Hero] placeholder. Derived from the novel adaptation of Suikoden IV.