What are everyone's overall impressions of the SIII manga?

Ask about, or share details for, various Suikoden collectables; such as cards, soundtracks and publications.
Angelis_Taleria
Elite Member

Post by Angelis_Taleria »

It's a waste to buy manga, especially as cheap as the SIII manga is, online when you can walk right into your local book store and buy it cheaper.
I hope everything is going delicious.
Nekomancer

Post by Nekomancer »

Angelis_Taleria wrote:It's a waste to buy manga, especially as cheap as the SIII manga is, online when you can walk right into your local book store and buy it cheaper.
That would be asuming you lived the correct country. I know there are people from many different countries here who may find this useful. There are also people like me who probably find it easier to order manga online than to 3 hours to get it.
Night

Post by Night »

Nekomancer wrote:
Angelis_Taleria wrote:It's a waste to buy manga, especially as cheap as the SIII manga is, online when you can walk right into your local book store and buy it cheaper.
That would be asuming you lived the correct country. I know there are people from many different countries here who may find this useful. There are also people like me who probably find it easier to order manga online than to 3 hours to get it.
3 hours?! You lucky thing! Try waiting months on the off chance that the rare Suikoden manga tha comes in stock in the book store is the one I need! Far easier to get online for me.
Ice has formed and there's snow between the tracks/ And I have seen the surface tear and I can't look back/ And cool low sun has blinded you for days from horizon to horizon can I dream this all away
KoyuRedd

Post by KoyuRedd »

Night wrote:3 hours?! You lucky thing! Try waiting months on the off chance that the rare Suikoden manga tha comes in stock in the book store is the one I need! Far easier to get online for me.
Why not order them through shop owners? That's what I'm doing.
[evil laugh here]
Nekomancer

Post by Nekomancer »

Night wrote:
Nekomancer wrote:
3 hours?! You lucky thing! Try waiting months on the off chance that the rare Suikoden manga tha comes in stock in the book store is the one I need! Far easier to get online for me.
Hahah, I left out the word 'drive' The bookstore is about an hour and a half from where I live so round trip is three hours. Gas is getting pricey again too.
Night

Post by Night »

KoyuRedd wrote:
Night wrote:3 hours?! You lucky thing! Try waiting months on the off chance that the rare Suikoden manga tha comes in stock in the book store is the one I need! Far easier to get online for me.
Why not order them through shop owners? That's what I'm doing.
Then we come to the driving/distance from shop issues :P Plus, I still save a few pounds through Amazon.
Ice has formed and there's snow between the tracks/ And I have seen the surface tear and I can't look back/ And cool low sun has blinded you for days from horizon to horizon can I dream this all away
GenmaNinja

Post by GenmaNinja »

I have six volumes. I like the artwork in it a lot. Also like the little side story in the beggining with how Hugo and Fubar met. And you get to see Chris kick some lizard ass! :P
Throw your life away for justice.
Shigure

Post by Shigure »

I have only one manga. And I cherish it to death. It's the only manga I've got and the only one I've seen worth having. Not to downplay manga as I love a lot of the styles, however I find most mangas are too vast and drawn out. (One Piece, anyone? 400+ manga chapters)
Guh, I posted all that?
. . . .What a pain . . .
Raftrider

Post by Raftrider »

I like the manga, but I wish they would have made a Suikoden II or IV instead (or V, now that I think about it.)
patapi
Forum Moderator

Post by patapi »

'Instead'? I thought the decision to adapt Suikoden III's story into manga form was well-timed. Especially because it allows us to experience the TSS in a single coherent storyline.

As for the other non-TSS titles, they already have novel adaptations. That's where names like Tir, Riou and Lazlo came into being in the first place.
Jowy Atreides

Post by Jowy Atreides »

I think Raftrider means another Suikoden manga instead of more novels.
fathamburger

Post by fathamburger »

I'm loving it so far.

It's very familiar yet different, basically like watching a movie of a book (you'd think it was the reverse) except it adds to the story. For example a closer view of the battles, more plot and character development, seeing baths and events that were throwaway references (for example Lily's fight with Chris). These are all priceless for the diehard fan.

I'm up to 9 and it's only getting better, she keeps apologising for how late she is but I don' think anybody minds. We just hate the waiting. I'd prefer if Shimizu-san took as long as she needed to keep up the remarkable quality. She is both an excellent artist and an amazing storyteller who has both thorough knowledge of the game as a fan as well as an instinctual understanding of what gaps need to be filled and how to tell the story economically.

I wasn't expecting much when I initially picked it up. I was thinking it was going to be a literal shot for shot or.. act for act rehash of the game much like how a lot of anime follow their manga inspirations literally and was very pleasantly surprised.
EnigmaticThief

Post by EnigmaticThief »

I really like the Suikoden III manga, and think they are treating the story very well. Delving further into some of the minor characters, like the Zexen Councilmen and exploring Wyatt's connection with Yun are great moments.

However, I noticed that, in the last couple of volumes, they translated some well-established terms differently. Rather than living in the Great Hollow, the Lizard Clan now inhabits "The Great Sky Cavern" and Geddoe is in charge of the "12th Battalion." Where did this come from? How the heck is a six-person group a "battalion"?
dragonmasterx
Elite Member

Post by dragonmasterx »

However, I noticed that, in the last couple of volumes, they translated some well-established terms differently. Rather than living in the Great Hollow, the Lizard Clan now inhabits "The Great Sky Cavern" and Geddoe is in charge of the "12th Battalion." Where did this come from? How the heck is a six-person group a "battalion"?
Are the translators for the later volumes different people?

I only bought the first volume, and on the first few pages of that, they mention suikosource and how the site owner HowlingGuild is telling them what the official translations are and stuff. Whatever happened to that?
fathamburger

Post by fathamburger »

Maybe Howling ran out of time to do it? was he/she ever getting paid to do it? If not Im sure there'd be more willing volunteers here :)