Regarding Luc's Wind Rune

Ask questions about the personality and backstory of the multitude of characters in the Suikoden series.
Zotmaster

Regarding Luc's Wind Rune

Post by Zotmaster »

Okay, everyone knows Luc has - well, had - the True Wind Rune. Luc himself alludes to this in the second one when he ambushes Sasari and company when they invade Dunan's castle.

However, in both the first and the second Suikodens, you could freely unequip his Wind Rune (and you also could after the battle in Suikoden 2 where he uses his "True" Rune) and in the meantime, it functions just like a regular Wind Rune.

Now, it's established that True Runes are, well, stuck on their users. Obviously Luc knew he had it, which is why he used it. He was born with it, so he had it all along. All the True elemental runes are stuck on the user's right hand, but, again, you could put whatever you wanted into Luc's right hand.

This is something of a contradiction. Can anyone offer up an explanation?
Congratulations, but you're still wrong, Killey.
Vextor
Global Admin

Post by Vextor »

He could have had two runes on his right hand. Althiugh the combat system limits where a rune can be attached, plotwise there are now rules regarding where a rune can be attached.

The Wind Rune Luc used in Suikoden 1 and 2 is just a wind rune. Case in pint, you can sell it just like any other wind rune. He merely had his true wind rune elsewhere. Likely it is within his body though, as Luc stated that the True Wind Rune is intertwined with his soul and thus can not be removed (unless he is destroyed in the process).
Lechium

Post by Lechium »

Look at it from STORY point of view...
Luc is a strong mage with wind magic in first two games.
In third game it turns out that he was such a good wind mage because he had a true wind rune.

Making Wind rune un-removable from Luc in 1 and 2 would made him suck as you'd never be able to give him Cyclone, and calling it True Wind rune would make him too strong, and good chance when Sui1 was released they didnt even think if he had True Wind rune... it's a game, get over it.. .

P.S. yeah you can give him Fire rune and that wount fit the his character but you can just as well have Chris run around in circles for a hour wearing a pointed hat and wooden shoes looking like an idiot, and that doesn't quiet fit her character as well now would it?
Vextor
Global Admin

Post by Vextor »

Konami already had Luc use the True Wind Rune in Suikoden 1--specifically when he summoned that clay golem. Oddly, the translation was messed up and I hear it wasn't translated as a true rune in the NTSC version.
Zotmaster

Post by Zotmaster »

Then how would it be possible for Luc to use the TWR and then still have another rune in the same place? I'd think maybe he sealed it, but he'd have to do that really quickly, not to mention he uses the TWR at other points in the story (like the battle in Suikoden 2). Also, would Luc have even known how to seal a rune at that point, if at all? I recall he had great trouble un-sealing runes in Suikoden 3, and that was 15 years later.

Any other good explanation?
Congratulations, but you're still wrong, Killey.
Ced The Lad

Post by Ced The Lad »

Since he was born with his True Rune, one would think it's connected to him, so in that case, he may have mastered it at an early age. If that's so, then it's not too hard to see him doing extraordinary things with his rune. I'm sure Sasarai can do the same if he were willing to.
http://www.suikox.com: Where the Tinto Republic continues to guide the masses through the sea of history.
suikofanUk

Post by suikofanUk »

i guess it's kinda similar to how Geddoe has the True lightning rune, but for most of the game he just had a lightning rune.

now i know they weren't in the same place, but much for the same reasons as luc, they did it for balance or it was a last minute story change (not in Geddoes case)

besides if luc went around telling everyone he had the 'true' wind rune, then i think perhaps he life might have been in danger, certainly in suikoden 1, when windy was on her true rune hunt.
Silvermouse

Post by Silvermouse »

Zotmaster wrote:Then how would it be possible for Luc to use the TWR and then still have another rune in the same place? I'd think maybe he sealed it, but he'd have to do that really quickly, not to mention he uses the TWR at other points in the story (like the battle in Suikoden 2). Also, would Luc have even known how to seal a rune at that point, if at all? I recall he had great trouble un-sealing runes in Suikoden 3, and that was 15 years later.

Any other good explanation?
Honestly, they probably weren't thinking about that when they made Suikoden 1. They probably hadn't even thought of Luc as a future main character, either. They probably didn't have the entire plotlines of every Suikoden they planned to ever make already intertwined before they made Suikoden 1.

That might better answer questions such as, "Why did Luc age if he has a true rune?", etc. Try not to look too deep!
koriand'r

Post by koriand'r »

SARSadmin wrote:Likely it is within his body though, as Luc stated that the True Wind Rune is intertwined with his soul and thus can not be removed (unless he is destroyed in the process).
You mind me asking if should we take the comment that the rune is intertwined with his soul or as a metaphor; As I can see why he would choose obviltion if he literally meant that the rune was interwined with him. *As wind is an invisible element almost compared to the others*

But if it was so than does that mean luc’s death was in some way in vain as in some ways luc seem to be hinting that his soul is the wind rune or that he is the essence of the rune, meaning he’ll be subject to the wheel of reincarnation?

Sorry that’s me just thinking on food for thought, if its wack just hit me.
Jowy Atreides

Post by Jowy Atreides »

Okay, let's examine this question two ways: gameplay-wise and plot-wise.

Gameplay (S1 and S2): It makes no sense that Luc has the True Wind Rune and he has can also have another rune in the exact same spot on his body. The rules are a little different for S3 but I'll explain that in another section of this post.

Plot: Luc's True Wind Rune is not on his right hand, it is intertwined with his soul and thus it cannot possibly also be on his right hand. Now, gameplay wise in S3 Luc's TWR is indeed on his right hand but that's because "Soul" is not a listing for where to put your runes at. The obvious choice for Konami so far has been to put it on the right hand, so why not do it here as well.

My point is, the Wind Rune on Luc's right hand is more than likely not the TWR in disguise because you can change it in and out. Geddoe's Lightning Rune is S3 was also removable so it makes perfect sense that the Lightning Rune placed there is also not the TLR.