[Guide] Skills

A forum to ask people who have played the games about gameplay questions.
Kobold

Post by Kobold »

Unfortunately, yes it only works like that for charge spell. But even that is useful enough since most spells need charging, and it's even more useful when you time it such that the charging time is low. Allow you to move your mage out of danger after casting the spell...

The game basically imagines that it is your mage's next turn when you cast a charge spell...
Long time lurker...
KFCrispy
Global Admin

Post by KFCrispy »

the quick charge spells can be cancelled and used to double movement (taking advantage of Extra Move) since it will be faster than waiting 1 entire turn--Lazlo can use it to get in the thick of the battle, while slow mages like Maxine can use it just to catch up to the crowd. the spell-caster will also be affected by terrains twice in this sequence: once when the spell is being charge, second time after the spell is cast or cancelled. i don't think you need Extra Move to cause that phenomenon.
KFCrispy
Global Admin

Post by KFCrispy »

other uses of extra move....

in Obel 5 and other places, when you need to go up/down areas of 2 or greater, a Kangacorn can't do it. you can move w/out the Kanga then mount and take an action (if no enemies, use an item or a spell) and extra move the leftover MOV steps you get (you will always have more using this method because the Kangacorn adds 2 MOV)

in Obel, many areas require that you reach a destination. you can use a flying character to avoid traffic (enemies..) and when you are close enough to the exit, get over land, switch to Cedric, have him use an item or "Vision" (but allies must be near), and break for the destination point in one fell swoop. saves lots of time.
Exodus

Post by Exodus »

a quick question that i think i know the answer to already, but does having a counter ring (+2 to counter skill) when a character already is at S rank give any sort of bonus?

and a follow-up question, does having a counter ring on someone who doesn't have the counter skill do anything?
KFCrispy
Global Admin

Post by KFCrispy »

i don't think it boosts the counter skill further. it does give ppl w/out Counter the ability to Counter with a grade of D. i can verify that. there is also a Battle Bracelet that gives +2 to Cross Counter but i've never seen that happen to someone without Cross Counter... but i should probably take off the regular Counter skill eh (which is at S).
Stallion

Post by Stallion »

Do all skills max at S rank in Tactics, only getting more expensive for people without as much affinity? Currently I can get to B rank and am surprised there are no characters showing prospects of maxing out their skills at earlier levels ( i.e. characters in GS3 rarely got anything to S rank whatsoever ).

So have they abandoned the different levels of max affinity with skills or have I just not got far enough to see them?

IMO the GS3 system was better, I mean it added purpose to using equipment that boosted these skills even at the endgame.
patapi
Forum Moderator

Post by patapi »

All Skills max at S rank, but you have to wait until near end of game to get that far. There's a set limit depending on where you're at with regards to the plot progression.

I actually prefer it this way. At least you don't have characters with worthless skills (aka maxed at C?).

As you said, affinity only determines how much skill points are required to max a particular skill. However, the distinction between individual characters usually stem from the fact that not all skills are available to everyone.
Angelis_Taleria
Elite Member

Post by Angelis_Taleria »

Actually, I think the max level of your skills depend upon how many characters you recruit, Patapi.
I hope everything is going delicious.
KFCrispy
Global Admin

Post by KFCrispy »

Angelis_Taleria wrote:Actually, I think the max level of your skills depend upon how many characters you recruit, Patapi.
that's right. when i used Code Breaker to add a bunch of characters, my max skills available went from C to B, then i removed some, and it went back down to C.

i actually prefered Suikoden III's system. everybody with S in Counter Attack lets everyone counter.... big whup. the different maximum skills gave characters strengths and weaknesses. Suikoden III made you consider both stats and skills and how they could complement each other. In this game, skills are almost generic tools and it's back to being all about stats.
Sickpup

Post by Sickpup »

Does anyone have any good skill set-up suggestions for certain characters?
"Master Flik, you are immature. But that immaturity, that honesty was something I coveted.

And I'm sure that is why Lady Odessa loved you..."
MrTomJoad

Post by MrTomJoad »

Can skills like smash be used with runes like gozz?
MatildaWhiteKnightLeader

Post by MatildaWhiteKnightLeader »

no, if you use an special from an attack rune, you won't get your special ability to activate. I think.
Strategy is the key to victory!
thcrock
Global Admin

Post by thcrock »

There is an incomplete character skills guide at
http://www.suikosource.com/kornholio/stskills.php

Still missing some characters, and some stuff for characters on there. Lazlo, Snowe, and Lalacle are among these (have never recruited them). If anybody has anybody of the missing information, post here :)
KFCrispy
Global Admin

Translator needed for Japanese Rhapsodia Guide scans

Post by KFCrispy »

Hey guys, I got the official Rhapsodia book, and I want to take pictures of the Skills pages (maybe other sections by request) to get the information translated. Would anyone be able to help with this?
MatildaWhiteKnightLeader

Re:

Post by MatildaWhiteKnightLeader »

KoRnholio wrote:There is an incomplete character skills guide at
http://www.suikosource.com/kornholio/stskills.php

Still missing some characters, and some stuff for characters on there. Lazlo, Snowe, and Lalacle are among these (have never recruited them). If anybody has anybody of the missing information, post here :)
the link is to a blank page. I have had the BradyGames guide (for years). The skills are listed with each character in alphabetical order. Also listed are the Goodwill Partners. Lalacle is not in the guide but she'll have the same skill set as Karl as they're both the same type of fighters (hand combat).
Technically, any character can get to S mastery with any skill from their available skill set. The difference comes with how much skill points you need to use to increase the skill mastery (this is like a measure of the character's potential with the specific skill). Example, with Jeane you'll probably need to use around 3000 skill points to go from C mastery to S mastery with the Lightning Magic Skill, but with Maxine you'll probably need to use like 8000 skill points for the same thing.

I'll cover Lazlo and Snowe.

Hero of Suikoden 4 (Lazlo)
Available Skills: Counterattack, Parry(starts at C), Battle Lust(starts at C), Punish Magic(Special-starts at E), Bull's Eye, Dodge, Hidden Power, Extra Move, Godspeed, Jump
Goodwill Partners: Snowe, Kika, Kyril, Flare, Keneth, Tal, Jewel, Paula, Lino En Kuldes
Snowe:
Available skils: Counterattack, Parry, Battle Lust, Bull's Eye, Dodge, Critical Hit, Hidden Power, Godspeed, Jump
Goodwill Partners: Lazlo,Keneth,Tal, Jewel,Paula
I'll cover more in my spare time.
Strategy is the key to victory!