Concerns about Suikoden tatics

Ask questions about the events that take place during the Suikoden games themselves.
Waylander

Concerns about Suikoden tatics

Post by Waylander »

How are we supposed to approach this game? Is it a light hearted side affair like FFX-2, or a real deal type Suikoden thing? Part of me thinks that it is an attempt to restore good faith in the title due to lack of public or critical appeal of Suikoden IV. Two Suikoden games in a year; yeah, it definitely generates interest and keeps the title in the public's view, but is Konami setting themselves up to be a Mario type franchise?

The previously mentioned two titles this year, the remake of 1 & 2, for the PSP, and the serious development of the Sukoden V; to make a parallel, I hate Ubisoft, they crank out a new Splinter Cell, and Prince of Persia as often as they can, because the franchise works and people buy it. I would hate to see Konami walk that road. Especially if the games made are lack luster. It seems to me all that the only thing missing from the picture is a GBA port of the two never before seen in the states Card games, (which I would love by the way).

As to the game, Suikoden Tactics or whatever it is called, I am excited yet worried. I love strategy RPG's and Suikoden so I think it will rock on general principle. However, in my mind for it to be a good game it has a lot to live up too. I love Intelligent Designs and think they are on top of the genre. I just wonder if it will hold its own to the greatness of past two GBA Fire Emblems and the Advanced Wars series or will it be a half-assed attempt with the Suikoden world as the only appeal.

As I re-read this I see it is not terribly focused, I guess there was a lot I wanted to say but I am interested in hearing what others may think about it.
son_michael

Post by son_michael »

you should check out sars review of Rhapsodiahere
patapi
Forum Moderator

Re: Concerns about Suikoden tatics

Post by patapi »

Waylander wrote:How are we supposed to approach this game? Is it a light hearted side affair like FFX-2, or a real deal type Suikoden thing?
It's probably more comparable to Final Fantasy Tactics, instead of X-2. It's a sidestory, but light-hearted? Not quite.
Part of me thinks that it is an attempt to restore good faith in the title due to lack of public or critical appeal of Suikoden IV.
The two-game combo was already planned long before the public gets their hands on Suikoden IV. i.e. Rhapsodia would still be produced regardless of the actual public opinion on IV.
Two Suikoden games in a year; yeah, it definitely generates interest and keeps the title in the public's view, but is Konami setting themselves up to be a Mario type franchise?

The previously mentioned two titles this year, the remake of 1 & 2, for the PSP, and the serious development of the Sukoden V; to make a parallel, I hate Ubisoft, they crank out a new Splinter Cell, and Prince of Persia as often as they can, because the franchise works and people buy it. I would hate to see Konami walk that road. Especially if the games made are lack luster.
The PSP port isn't a complete remake, hence I don't see how it would affect V in any significant way. Still, this has little to do with Rhapsodia, because IV was out August of last year, and V won't come out until next February. (These are the Japanese releases, obviously).
It seems to me all that the only thing missing from the picture is a GBA port of the two never before seen in the states Card games, (which I would love by the way).
Two Suikogaiden titles for Playstation, and a Card Stories game for the GBA. Suikogaiden would have a hard time here, solely due to its text-adventure approach. As for Card Stories, it's definitely a "light hearted side affair" because it was 100% merchandising and has little effect on the series continuity.
As to the game, Suikoden Tactics or whatever it is called, I am excited yet worried. I love strategy RPG's and Suikoden so I think it will rock on general principle. However, in my mind for it to be a good game it has a lot to live up too. I love Intelligent Designs and think they are on top of the genre. I just wonder if it will hold its own to the greatness of past two GBA Fire Emblems and the Advanced Wars series or will it be a half-assed attempt with the Suikoden world as the only appeal.
Intelligent Systems, you mean. Nonetheless, if you liked the GBA Fire Emblem titles, I'd say there's a good chance you'll like this one as well.
Futch02

Post by Futch02 »

I'm just going to stick this here, because, I guess it's technically a concern. I really really wish there was a Japanese voice option, because Oh...em...gee...I already want to punch preciously beloved characters in the mouth ;_; Does the voice acting get better, by any chance? ;_;
Angelis_Taleria
Elite Member

Post by Angelis_Taleria »

Kyril sounds like Izzy from Digimon later in the game.
I hope everything is going delicious.
Futch02

Post by Futch02 »

Angelis_Taleria wrote:Kyril sounds like Izzy from Digimon later in the game.
LoL. it's because it's the same Voice Actor, Mona Marshall. She was pretty much a bad casting choice, in my oppinion. Also, I wanted to punch Sigurd, and Hervy was cute for about 5 minutes before I wanted to drown him. Everybody else was ok, i guess. I DO however love Andarc's voice, and plan to find out who that is <3 <3. Oh, and everybody loves Wendee Lee as ALL the females in the game. >.<
son_michael

Post by son_michael »

senecas voice is so....good!! walters voice rules as well! and yes kryls voice is awsome too!

how could anyone have concerns about this game? I just played 5 minutes of it and already im hooked on the story and the gameplay, the graphics are beautiful as well

I love seneca, kryl's swallow rune{swallow weapon reminds me of chrono trigger} is so fricken awsome! young lazlo and snowe have great abilities!

and more! I have no complaints!

I love this game!

did I mention that I love seneca?

edit: speaking of seneca, I recognize her voice actor! its faye valentine from cow boy bebop!
skymansxeno

Post by skymansxeno »

I would have to agree with you. I played the game a little yesterday and I can't wait to play it in December (don't have the time now). The voice acting aint the greatest at all but what the hell do people expect. This isn't a Disney movie where they have the money to get really good VAs. Plus, it's nice that the VAs from the original are in (though there where some I hated in IV).
Jowy Atreides

Post by Jowy Atreides »

Seneca's voice actress (name escapes me at the moment) pretty much does voices for everything video game and anime related.
Futch02

Post by Futch02 »

Jowy Atreides wrote:Seneca's voice actress (name escapes me at the moment) pretty much does voices for everything video game and anime related.
LoL. I believe it's Wendee Lee. And I agree, Walter's voice was superb, but Kyril's makes my teeth itch. Mona Marshall, while a great voice actress, was a bad casting call ;_;

And as for other concerns....the STRONG possibility for gaping plot holes. I already see a few forcoming, the most upcoming one dealing with Brandeau and Kika. Because unless he goes back to her at some point, or she goes to find him, we have a plot hole, from the opening FMV in Suikoden 4. That is, unless Brandeau used to wear an eye patch for no apparent reason before the accident >.< The opening sequence shows the two of them fighting back to back and him with his eye patch. So...Does anybody remember if Kika mentioned if she ever saw Brandeau again? Cuz I'm so scared that part of the reason they made this "unofficial" was because of plot holes ;_;
KFCrispy
Global Admin

Post by KFCrispy »

i keep wanting to play and see more, but it takes so freakin long to progress. i'd be happy to load someone's completed game just so i can skip a scene if i've seen it and reset to try something over. ugh.
son_michael

Post by son_michael »

new game+ will save that problem, or so I hear

im taking my sweet time with this game and loving every minute of it!
KFCrispy
Global Admin

Post by KFCrispy »

yeah i'm enjoying it. i like how they've already answered the big question of "what and why did i fight a random giant tree in Suikoden 4?" already. however, i totally understand people who don't replay the battles to try and get a higher rank or find an item, because ... ugh it's painful..... i miss the good ole days of button-mashing through Suikoden 1 and 2 text and accidentally choosing to kill Milich.. wheee
KoboldsRule

Post by KoboldsRule »

So far I suck at this game; I guess tactics aren't my thing. I'm gonna start over, probably after beating S4, which I haven't done yet.

I will add one thing, a big point in this game's favor - even though it's merely a detail - is the fact that I can turn the voices off. I know you can do that with S4 but it merely made people look weird and you couldn't hurry the set scenes anyway. Besides, only a few people were teeth-grittingly irritating (a certain nekobold, anyone?).
<tba>
Silvermouse

Post by Silvermouse »

I find myself fast-forwarding through Corselia's lines quite often.