was Thomas originally to have more purpose...

Detailed hypotheses for, and analysis of, the events transpiring during the Suikoden games
KFCrispy
Global Admin

Post by KFCrispy »

i am always a fan of Thomas because he is the Tenkai Star with a lot of fun skills he can eventually hone once he gets the skill points, but he never really gets a chance to shine with them.

i'm not going to talk about his fighting potential or anything though, i just want to throw out one property the game designers gave Thomas that doesn't make a whole lotta sense: Wind Magic skill maximum = A+. Coupled with this being the only game where the Tenkai Star doesn't have much of a role nor even gets a true rune.. i like to imagine Thomas was supposed to receive the True Wind Rune but the idea was canned at some point.

There's not much supporting evidence at all. Luc dies and that's the end of the game. There is no real chance there could have been something else to do afterwards, if Thomas were to receive the True Wind after the events in the ruins. Maybe a real invasion from Harmonia or something. Maybe he could have received it and remained the real protector of the land (another Zexen/Grasslander war ensues soon after Hugo or Chris or Geddoe become FC anyway)

meh, it's late..
MatildaWhiteKnightLeader

Post by MatildaWhiteKnightLeader »

Well Hugo's Fire magic skill goes only up to B/B+ i think, yet he's the "official" Flame champion.
Thomas does head the Castle where the stars hang out.
However, i agree with you that he might have been the next True Wine Bearer, cause the True Wind Rune has no one now.

The wind magic skill is for support in fighting as it heals and does damage. So i think Thomas was Not intended to be used as a Front Row attacking/bashing character. What would be Cecile's purpose if Thomas was a tank fighting machine? hehe
Strategy is the key to victory!
Futagi

Post by Futagi »

Perhaps Thomas will end up being a major player in another Suikoden game?
Hello Suikoden-type people:D
LillyXChris

Post by LillyXChris »

I always thought Thomas to be the future True Wind Bearer. After few discussions with my own suikoden fans, we all agreed that Thomas SHOULD have more use in S3.

I only wished that Sarah didn't die!!!! I am so mad at this point. Why'd they have to kill Sarah off? She could have been Thomas' guide to finding the True Wind Rune.

Well, in MY universe, Sarah's not dead. SUE ME IF IT'S WRONG!!
Just think about it. Someone might be writing a Kingdom Hearts 2/Pretty Cure x-over right now. That someone is me.

Now playing POTC At World's End
Nozomi Yumehara and Darkside Dream... Miko (Princess) Yumehara
Sisters (Yes Precure 5/Precure X-over)
Angelis_Taleria
Elite Member

Post by Angelis_Taleria »

Sarah needed to die, or had to die rather. I doubt she could see herself going on with Luc dead.

I do agree with your opinion that Thomas should've been a bit more important throughout the story, but he did serve his duty as intended.
I hope everything is going delicious.
Oppenheimer
Global Admin

Post by Oppenheimer »

Thomas wasn't a hero in the beat-up-bad-guys sense. He was a nice person, who tried to make the best of a bad situation. He wanted to make friends with those at the castle and have everyone from Zexen and the grasslands get along in this neutral space. He wasn't a war hero though, someone to use the True Wind rune to defend his land, he was someone who united the land in a different way. Although he could have been forced to take a more war-like leadership role (ala Tir), I think his character developed away from doing so.
Vextor
Global Admin

Post by Vextor »

One fact that has been discovered is that Konami did intend for a chapter 3 for Thomas. "Thomas Chapter 3" exists as a template data within Suikoden 3's DVD. However, it seems like Konami simply scrapped the idea.
Oppenheimer
Global Admin

Post by Oppenheimer »

That's interesting. Is anything known about what was originally going to be in Chapter 3?
Rune

Post by Rune »

I wonder if the fact that the story writer left halfway through the project had anything to do with that ;).

Personally, I wouldn't have liked him as a hero. He didn't have as cool a design or development as Hugo, Chris, and Geddoe have.
Angelis_Taleria
Elite Member

Post by Angelis_Taleria »

He had a charm all his own and his eyes alone made him worthy of being a Tenkai, although I think it was his innocence that made him the tenkai along with his status so to speak. Son of an important figure, forced into a sticky situation. The only thing he didn't have was a True Rune, but Thomas proved that Tenkai's don't need true rune, just good personality. *sheds a tear*
I hope everything is going delicious.
creativerealms

Post by creativerealms »

Thomas is much closer to the Tenkai star of Shui Hu Zhan then the other three Tenkai stars were. I think that is his main reason for being like he was in Suidoken three.

I did not like him as much as the other three main characters but I like what his chapters added to the story. His Chapter one was much lighter then the other character's chapter one, a much needed break from conflict that overran the others. It is mainly for a fuller background and I liked that. It makes the home base feel like more then something the main characters justr stumbled apun for fonce.
Sun of a Studio

Post by Sun of a Studio »

Oppenheimer wrote: He wasn't a war hero though
In my game Thomas was a tank character and was responsible for the deaths of many unit leaders. He was definitly a war hero in my eyes for all the characters he tore to shreds. Honestly, he's a pretty tough guy once you get him up in levels. I wish he was the only hero in Suikoden III but even if he wasn't he still played a crucial part in my game. I actually have the final battle saved just so I can prove my friends wrong when the tell me how weak Thomas was. Of course I honed him to be a tank character but still, just him being the Tenkai star doesn't mean he's a meak individual. That's why I love Suikoden because, in some sense, you can mold the character to how you want them. Especially with the "wizard" and "warrior" runes.

I'm sure everyone's game is different but to me, Thomas was, in part, responsible for helping me beat this game.
"If you can laugh at yourself everytime you fall down, people will think you're drunk"-Conan
Black Knight Yuber

Post by Black Knight Yuber »

Though Thomas does lead a unit into battle he could be classified as a war hero. He makes stands against the Zexen Council, Percival/Leo, & Luc. Yet he'd rather be the peace maker, there's no kill in him. Maybe some day the old Budehuc Castle will be constructed into a castle like Brass Castle or bigger.
HolyPaladin

Post by HolyPaladin »

Oppenheimer wrote:That's interesting. Is anything known about what was originally going to be in Chapter 3?
Perhaps Chapter 3 would have had Thomas rebuilding Budehuc Castle.
Last edited by HolyPaladin on Sun Jan 25, 2015 5:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Showcasing Q here because he's the man! 8) Er, robot. :oops: Wait, cyborg...? :? OK, just what is Q, anyway?!
Oh, and please call me Paladin for short.
KFCrispy
Global Admin

Post by KFCrispy »

ah i haven't read my own thread in a while. a Thomas Chapter 3... a Sasarai chapter(s)... why.... why NOT, konami?!??! argghhh

yeah Thomas gets to use Wind magic in map battles, which is pretty indicative of his potential--look at the other characters that can actually use special magic attacks: Jeane, Sasarai, Sarah, Geddoe, Salome (i think)... and THOMAS. something was definitely up with the boy.

unfortunately, konami has already moved on past 3 and has been concentrating on past events. maybe they'll come back to this game, but it's highly doubtful. it's too late to capitalize on a 'gaiden' game for 3, although it would be fully appreciated...